Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

did insurance pay but you still had pay cash?

. Did anyone have Medicaid and not have to pay anything out of pocket? I am in NJ and i found a Dr. The office said they work with all insurances.Which is good news and bad news for me. Now I seen this Dr 9 yrs ago for bypass i never went through with it because they wanted $2,000 upfront because other Dr didn't take medicaid. I really need this so I can be here for my son he will be 1 in July. I can't afford to pay out of pocket. Did this happen to anyone? Was there away around it? Did they just accept whatever your insurance paid? I am just praying everyday I am not denied for any reason I am 27 and do not want a knee replacement this year on in life.. i can barely walk.. i need this more than anything.

I would check into a things again, a lot changes in 9 years! Your insurance should be able to tell you something, such as out of pocket max. Good luck.

What part of Jersey North or South? I would find a doctor who take Medicaid instead. In Jersey there should be several. Check the major hospitals for their bariatric programs..

North jersey both claim to take medicaid... well one said they do but they 1hr away the closer 1 said they work with all insurances... my insursance company when i called had no idea what baratrics was... they kept giving me oncology drs....i know if u have medicaid ur not supposed to hve bills.. but some drs dnt care

I would call insurance and if nutrisionst was paid already.. but im pretty sure for insurance purpose you could to a person who took your insurance... and see if insurance took out network dr.... the lady said they do do out of network the dr has to fill out form online or something idk... its hard cu i am not working they did say on site that psych evaluation is 150...

North jersey both claim to take medicaid... well one said they do but they 1hr away the closer 1 said they work with all insurances... my insursance company when i called had no idea what baratrics was... they kept giving me oncology drs....i know if u have medicaid ur not supposed to hve bills.. but some drs dnt care

You could call back and ask about weight management or weight loss surgery. Sadly sometimes you have to spell it out. ;)

If it is a covered service, they can't bill you for it. My insurance covered everything but the nutritionist class. That was $200. I also had a $400 copay for the surgery itself. Other than copays that was all I had to pay out of pocket. I have Keystone 65/Medicare.

If you like the program that''s an hour away, you can save yourself the hassle and go with them. I'm in Philly. I know there are several hospitals in South Jersey that accept Medicaid, but that's probably even further away.

ETA: Often the only non covered services are the psych eval and/or nutritionist.

I had to switch hmos... but found a dr one city over... greatest news is the psych eval is free because my dad is good friends with the guy and my insurance covers nutrionist or my uncles sistet in law is certified nutritionist... so all i gotnto worry bout is my consult june 23rd... and getting all the test he wants done in a time frame... my dr said he writing a letter for me to insurance because he beleives a 6 monyh diet plan begore surgery will not work.. i have tyroid issue that use mediciation for.. my blood pressures been out there i have horrible knee pain and he said i hve sleep apnea but idk... like i need this to be bettet for my son thata my main focus i wana sit on floor and play and roll round without looking like a fool being hurt or out breath.... drs name is Dr. Jason Garrison in Jersey City Nj

Call your Medicaid worker and ask them. Most people with Medicaid do not have a share of cost.

I switched insurances as june 1st every dr is dropping the wellcare insurance 3 drs called offices called 2 say they no longer take it.. but horizon nj health i called and i asked and they said its covered... so i meet surgeon june 23rd... thank goodness... im hoping it goez through this time.....like i dnt give up chicken out or get denied im 369 with sever joint damage in my right knee and my dr says sleep apnea so allz hoping pozitive...

Edited by libbyyum

@@libbyyum

Which surgeon in Jersey City? I had Dr. Sebastian Eid from Advanced Laparoscopic in Paramus but they did the surgery at Jersey City Medical Center (which was great by the way).

Surgery itself & the hospital was $500 out of pocket, but pre-surgical co-pays and reports ran me quite a bit.

Dr. Jordan garrison.. he works through the carepoint hospitals... his office is next to christ hospital... a family friend told me bout him he does it in christ hospital and takes 1 of the medicaids and stuff... i didnt wana travel crazy i dont have a car ... i meet him june 23rd so im hoping all goes well lol

Dr. Jordan garrison.. he works through the carepoint hospitals... his office is next to christ hospital... a family friend told me bout him he does it in christ hospital and takes 1 of the medicaids and stuff... i didnt wana travel crazy i dont have a car ... i meet him june 23rd so im hoping all goes well lol

I don't know him but my knee surgeon (Dr. Foddai) is in the same building as he is. So was my old GP before he moved. My ENT is in that building too (Dr. Behin).

Lol i got lucky everyone i made apt with for last 2 months has droped my insurance... they call bak like nop dont tke it... its very stressful....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches