Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BariatricPal is no longer affiliated or recommending Dr. Mario Almanza

i had surgery with dr Almanza on april 7, 2015. yes it was only a one night hospital stay, the nurses at the hotel were great. no complications

You're very lucky! One night in the hospital and having our patients walking around with drains was a dealbreaker for us.

I received an email this morning from one of the coordinators that worked for Dr. Almanza for many many years (I'm quoting her!)

"He is scum of the earth. Doesn't care a thing about the patients. Only money. I went to X (redacted for privacy purposes) and almanza about the deaths and critically ill patients and they didn't care. 15-21 surgeries a day they're doing over there. Sometimes 2 at a time in the OR it's messed up over there."

scary stuff being posted here.

My question how do you verify - one angry patient or employee, can start an online media frenzy.

I'm not defending, just wondering... how you really know.

I'm guessing people with bad experiences no matter the doctor do not post here.

I just spoke to another dr's office. You arrive day of surgery, spend night in hospital, night 2 at recovery place, day 3 your go home... that's QUICK, but is it good?

There are other Doctors that advertise on BariatricPal, so now I'm confused. Is BariatricPal a site for the doctors you represent or for any of the doctors that are advertising on this site? @davidlopez

Hi Tnkrrbl

I am the Patient relations Director for Bariatricpal.com

We represent

Dr jaime Ponce de leon

Dr Francisco Zavalza

Dr Sergio verboonen

Dr Carlos Atamirano

Dr Jesus Martin Lopez

We are at your service

David :)

Wow! Those are some serious issues with Dr. Almanza.

Yeah I know. If not true that's sad people would lie to get business

What happened with Dr. Almanza???

Be sure to read through this entire thread and do a search on these forums for Almanza to see other posts. There are many people who have gone to Almanza and been very happy with the experience and have nothing but positive things to say. So make sure you read through everything and then make your own choice.

What happened with Dr. Almanza???

Be sure to read through this entire thread and do a search on these forums for Almanza to see other posts. There are many people who have gone to Almanza and been very happy with the experience and have nothing but positive things to say. So make sure you read through everything and then make your own choice.

I was referring to the comments in this article and others.

Out of fairness, he has performed more surgeries, so there are bound to be a greater number of complications for all things given equal (lets say 1% of all surgeries for any surgeon).

He did not perform surgery on me, so I can not speak about his abilities or the hospital.

Many people also praise his surgical procedures and the hospital.

There can be issues with any surgeon or any hospital. The main thing to do is research as much as you can, go for a second consult with another surgeon if possible and ask your surgeon and/or the nursing staff about specific questions regarding techniques, protocol, their procedure, their affiliation and ratings with professional societies (if applicable), how they will address your specific health needs (if you have any), etc., so you make the best educated selection of a surgeon/hospital that will accommodate your needs and capability .