Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just curious, how many were told to avoid NSAIDs and for how long ?

For ever. Long term use is not recommended due to ulcers. Short term use is acceptable if there are no other choices.

Depends on your surgeon - you will not be able to take them daily, but I had weekly headaches (2-3x a week) prior to surgery and I told my surgeon that the only thing that worked for them was Naproxyn (Aleve). He said that was fine, but lower the dose. Fortunately, since my surgery, my headaches have basically been non-existent and I haven't had a Migraine, and it's been 3 months now. :) Most important thing to remember is different surgeons have different protocols, so you really just need to talk to him (or her) about it.

Yes I know that different surgeons have different rules, that's why I'm asking. I was given any warning in regards to taking them and in fact was aloud to as soon as 1-2 week post op. I prefer to hear the general consensus, educate myself and then try to decide what I feel is best. I don't believe any one surgeon knows all there is to know and find it interesting that there are so many variations.

Mine says forever. I'm back to Tylenol for mild headaches.

I had to switch to daily topimax for my Migraines and keep imitrex for when they start.

I had a lingering Migraine and my pcp gave me a NSAID injection. Totally bypass the stomach. Just to see if it would help.

Lots of new things with my sleeve. Lots of never things too....,

My surgeon said no NSAIDs for life. Said they can cause ulcers and thin the lining of the stomach. Since I have chronic and acute back problems and arthritis for which Tylenol is ineffective, that would be a problem for me.

I can no longer take NSAIDS.....................these will cause Ulcers.......................Not worth it in my book.

You can take Ibuprofen (Advil/Motrin)

Annamarie

I can no longer take NSAIDS.....................these will cause Ulcers.......................Not worth it in my book.

Annamarie

Ibuprofen is a NSAID

No NSAID forever. However, he did say I can take a low dose of Celebrex once a day since the COX2 inhibitors are supposed to be easier on the stomach.

Annamarie

Ibuprofen is a NSAID

lol...............SORRY Meant to say Acetaminophen..................

I have chronic Migraines so this was the deciding factor on having surgery or not. Surgeon said it was ok. But actually since surgery my headaches are better and I have only needed to take lower doses than before.

Thanks guys ! I've taken them as needed (maybe 1-2x a month) Since my surgery sept 2013 wth no problems. It's crazy how everyone has such different recommendations.

I was told to avoid them for the first 3 months, but after that, with the use of a PPI they were okay on occasion. All Docs are different on this restriction. You should check with yours.

Just another FYI.

When I had my EDG pre op they showed me my hiatal hernia AND multiple ulcers on my stomach.

I had NO idea. They said good thing most of those will be removed with my stomach and those left will heal with the PIP.

That was from years of my own headache management with OTC NSAIDs.

Like I said I a previous post I just don't use them period. Dr said never and I know why.