Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question before my fill appointment

Hi all. Just checking in with a question about fills. When you go to your doctor for a fill, do they remove all Fluid in the band to check how much is in there? I'm a Kaiser Permanente patient. Got the band in October 2013. I'm only down 30 pounds since surgery day. They originally sent me to a surgeon outside of Kaiser but last summer stopped approving referrals to see him as Kaiser now has a WLS in the area. Well, ever since, I see a physician assistant at Kaiser. He appears very inexperienced with the band. They don't even do band surgery there. Strictly gastric bypass and sleeve. So, they are obviously not too keen on the band. Every time I go for an adjustment he insists on removing ALL the Fluid in the band. He says it's to ensure I don't have a leak. I don't have a leak! I had a test done where they watch you swallow and can see your band on a monitor. My band is perfectly placed with no leaks! He removes the fluid and I see him flicking the syringe to look at the measurement all the while I see fluid coming out the top of the syringe. So, already, he's messing with what I've got in there. He puts fluid back then loses track of how much he's added. If I'm going to have fluid added, that's all I need. He screws everything up by removing and then reinserting because he's not careful when he's got the syringe full of fluid. I've been going through this for months with him. I told him last time that when I see him next, I don't want him removing any fluid. I just want him to add some. So, today is that appointment. I am going to not allow him to remove fluid if he tries to. Just thought I'd check with you all to find out if your band filler removes everything each time you go for an adjustment. Due to these screw ups, I'm not at the green zone and I've only lost 2 pounds since starting with the Kaiser people last August! That's crazy. Are my Kaiser band people nuts or is this common procedure?

Can you request a different PA or to see a surgeon, etc.? I think it is common practice to remove all the saline but my surgeon doesn't happen to do that. I hope you get a fill you're happy with. Be sure to drink Water while there to make sure you are not too tight. Some people don't feel the effects of a fill for some time after -- seems to take me four days or so. No idea why.

I'm pretty sure my NP always draws it all out and then adds more when she refills. I look at the screen instead of down because I don't want to accidentally bend at the waist while she's working. I asked her once if she draws it out and she said yes. They check for leaks because you could develop one and not know it.

I'm sure there are many competent healthcare workers at Kaiser but seems like I hear a lot of stuff like this? I know my daughter had an idiot for a Kaiser MD for one excruciating year and insisted on a new MD. Immediately found out she had Crones Disease. Spent an entire year throwing pills and Fiber at the problem. Just the opposite of what she needed.

My doc has never taken all my Fluid out and I've had about 9 fills over 3 years. You're the boss, tell him/her to just fill and not unfill!

I did go for a fill and asked the PA to just add a bit without removing everything. He did so. So, we'll see how this fill works. I remember there was a time that I would have to slowly sip coffee in the morning because of tightness. That seems to have gone away months ago. I still don't have that feeling of tightness. I don't have a leak. When I had that tightness though is when I seemed to be losing weight. I weigh the same right now as I did one year ago. Gotta keep hanging in there and up the exercise.

I'm glad they listened to you. I've never had anyone take Fluid out before adding. That seems counterproductive to me. Definitely hang in there!! You can do it! :-)