Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you set your goal weight?

I had two nutritionists that used two different formulas to calculate my goal weight based on gender, height, and build. Both emphasized that they are just ballpark numbers and they're also looking at BMI and also percentage of excess weight lost. So one nutritionist put my goal weight at 160 and another put me at 170. So I just averaged the two and came up with 165. Heavy duty math there. ;)

I'm still not convinced it's psychologically healthy to have a goal weight. So if I gain a couple pounds above 165 am I failing? I don't think so. But I think (based on zero evidence) that it is psychologically healthier to have a range of 5-10 pounds.

All my co-morbidities (sleep apnea, high blood pressure, pre-diabetes, and high cholesterol) were all cured when I was still in the 200-220 range, so I was perfectly fine in that range, but my weight loss continued as I stuck to "the plan" and I went with it.

I'm just sorta thinking in the long-term now as to what the "goal" is and for me it's staying "healthy" over staying at "the goal weight." I'll probably feel differently if I gain 10 lbs because I'm damn comfortable in a pair of 32s. :lol:

I picked my goal weight based on the number I have always wanted to be. I've always wanted to weigh 119, however I'm a little older now and 129 seemed a bit more attainable. Both 119 and 129 put me in the acceptable BMI range where I am no longer overweight, so I was happy with those numbers. I was a self-pay patient, so no one ever gave me a goal weight. I met with the surgeon, I paid him, he chopped out my stomach, and it all took 3 weeks from start to finish. In hindsight, it might have been nice to have some of the services of insurance, but it all ended up working out ok in the end.

Now that I am at goal, my goal is 119, so this way if I gain a pound or two or I want to go on vacation, I am still beneath my first goal weight and I don't have to worry about most of my clothing not fitting.

@@AvaFern Thank you for your thoughtful response. I've given so much feedback on here, but in the few topics I've posted...almost no feedback.

I don't know why that is...because I'm a guy? I guess only women talk to each other on here. So good luck to you all and thanks for not helping me out. Learn to use a f**king search engine.

I dunno...anyway. Tired of giving responses again and again to the same questions on here and the few I ask go unnoticed.

Take care all. Thanks for almost nothing.

Withdrawing all my stats. I'll keep it off without this site.

Whoever is in charge here...DELETE MY f**king PROFILE, K?

I came to my number based of other guy friends and seeing their height weight. I have really broad shoulders and if I was at what the BMI scale says I would look anorexic. I figure I will just to to a weight I am comfortable with and work from there. When I mentioned 215 to 225 to my Dr he didn't argue and said it was probably a good weight based off my frame.

I guess time will tell

@@AvaFern Thank you for your thoughtful response. I've given so much feedback on here, but in the few topics I've posted...almost no feedback.

I don't know why that is...because I'm a guy? I guess only women talk to each other on here. So good luck to you all and thanks for not helping me out. Learn to use a f**king search engine.

I dunno...anyway. Tired of giving responses again and again to the same questions on here and the few I ask go unnoticed.

Hey Always. I just had band to sleeve surgery 3/19/15. I have been commenting to people's posts too and get no response. I hope all is going well with you and your process.

Edited by PAcountryBear

Hey Always. I just had band to sleeve surgery 3/19/15. I have been commenting to people's posts too and get no response. I hope all is going well with you and your process.

Hey man--sorry no one is replying...but if you're not a woman on here with a weight problem, then nobody gives a f**king **** dude..men don't count on here....sorry...take care. Just eat less.

I only come on here once a week but let me answer your question. I came up with my goal range of 170-180 with my surgeon based on many factors but mainly my muscle mass, body type, exercise style and my comfort level. My Dr thinks BMI is great for getting to surgery but doesn't take into account enough factors especially muscle mass. I would like to get a Dexa scan which tells you how much fat, muscle, bone you have do you know a more accurate body fat percentage.

I am sorry others didn't answer

Well, I set mine 18 pounds lower than my lowest weight, which was 188. I figure 170 would look great. On me.

And, seriously, I had no idea you were a guy. I don't look at stats often (unless it's mine...vain, I know????)

Please don't get it twisted. Unless you are a blood relative to Hitler, I doubt anyone is intentionally ignoring you.

Most of the time, I only go to rooms I've participated in, to see what's new. I figure other Folks probably do the same.

At any rate, it looks like you put a lot of time and energy into your post... Maybe you'll get the responses you've always wanted!

Too bad you won't be around to enjoy it.

Heres's a hug.((((((AV))))))

Don't let the door hit ya????

Well THAT escalated quickly....

@@alwaysvegas

Dude, calm down. People don't answer all of my posts either and it very rarely has anything to do with intentionally being ignored. I posted one the other day that was important to me and only one person answered me! I was like, ummm, hello people, I don't ignore you guys! But then I thought about it and when you post is important. When I login, I generally only look at the recent posts, the trending, and the no-replies, which depending on the time of day you post can bump you out of the no-reply and recent posts in a matter of minutes. You posted at 6:25pm when most people are on their way home from work, stuck in traffic, cooking dinner, or doing something other than sitting at their computer. I happened to be working and checked the site at that time, but if you want more replies, post during the day when people are blowing time at work by sitting around in a discussion board- otherwise most of them won't even see your posts. If someone wants to reply to you then, the only way they would see your post is if they go into the individual forums and randomly click on yours amongst all of the others. The only forum I regularly check is the plastic surgery one and the rest I never click into individually, so people inevitably accidentally get ignored.

Also, I didn't realize you were a guy- I never look at that, unless the topic seems gender oriented and then I'm like, well crap did I just accidentally post in the guy's only room? (which happens because all those topics appear in most recent and you don't see what forum the post is actually placed in unless you specifically look for it).

So no offense man, but you need to chill. No one here knows anything about you and really no one cares one way or another. You are not intentionally being ignored, but rather your topic didn't seem interesting to some people, others have seen the exact same topic posted literally dozens of times and figured you could just look up those answers, and a good portion of people probably never even saw your post. When you overreact and have yourself a little pity party meltdown, people like me who post almost everyday and who reply to everyone indiscriminately, will see your name and skip over replying to your posts because we don't want to be involved in your drama. If you want to be ignored, keep posting like you did on this board....but before this, I promise, no one intentionally ignored you.

Cheer up buttercup, it's just an online forum.