Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Were you guess as prepared as u thought u would be?

I honestly felt like I wasn't as educated on the whole procedure before and after surgery I'm pretty okay with the pain now because I've gotten past that stage but mentally I'm not prepared I'm still in the depression stage I'm still mourning the loss of being able to eat what I want when I want are you guys having the same issues as I? I feel like the surgeon was more happy that he was getting paid to do the work vs. me being mentally prepared

Edited by jackiemc1987

I was self-pay in Mexico, so I didn't really receive any kind of formal consultation about the mental/emotional aspects of the surgery. My interactions with my surgeon's office were all about the pre and post-op nutrition, medications, Vitamins, scheduling, and logistics. I had to do a lot of research and reading on my own and I still had a tough time emotionally post-op. It's just such a huge life change and there are so many emotions involved. I'm not sure any amount of knowledge pre-op could have fully prepared me for the actual experience. The good news is that I got through those early months and I am perfectly fine and happy now.

My insurance required a 6 month supervised diet before approval. I was extremely happy to have to do that.. I know it sounds weird but I needed that time to prepare, get educated and figure out my relationship with food. This surgery is not something I had been wanting or looking into for years.

I was diagnosed with a Ventral Hernia and the surgeon that was going to operate on me suggested it to me. Doing the surgery to remove the Ventral Hernia is very invasive she said and recovery time is long and painful. If she had operated on me at the weight I was there was a huge chance the hernia would come back and she didn't want to put me thru the surgery again.

So she referred me to Dr. Chaiasson my bariatric surgeon and as they say the rest is history. :)

I feel I was as prepared as I could have been. I knew how my relationship with food would change and by my surgery date of Oct 27th I was ready. It's hard to explain sometimes, cause this journey has not been easy, but I can say it has been easier than I anticipated. My recovery from surgery was fairly routine and quick, once I got my eating down I was able to handle way more items than I thought. I still work very hard at it everyday, I do have bites of things here and there. My 16yr old daughter teases me, you know the seagulls from Finding Nemo......Mine, mine mine mine mine!!! LOL She is always saying Bite, bite bite bite bite to me in that same tone. It's funny!!!

You didn't say when your surgery was but you sound like it was pretty recent. Hang in there all those feelings you are having are pretty normal. You have to realize you have to have a different relationship with food now. It's hard sometimes but oh soooooo worth it. I just consider this my new normal. It's just how things are now. I truly think the biggest and most important thing you can do is plan and be prepared. I still track and log everything that goes into my mouth into my food journal. I keep track of Protein, sugar and liquids.

Good luck in your journey and I know it is easier said than done sometimes, but you will get over that hump and instead of feeling like that daily it will only come and go periodically!!!! :)

I don't know if I could have been prepared enough for this surgery.

wasnt prepared for feeling so out of it after surgery. I didnt miss sugar until just recently

because now an excess of sugar makes me feel sick.

I didnt feel sick after consuming sugar until I lost 83 pounds.

Now my body cannot handle the sugar now. I am grieving that.

But I never grieved the gross amount of food I used to eat I was glad to see that go.

we are all so very different, and each new change prompts a unique change in each of us.

please feel free to continue to share your struggles as it helps you and each one of us to learn

more and to help each other.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Hi.

I am sorry you are feeling this way. Just remember we all had had this surgery and are here for each other.

I started my whole investigation/knowledge into this procedure even before meeting with the provider. I had to do an orientation first, which was the start of my knowledge. I went online and found even more information to help me decide which surgery was best for me.

Understand that my surgeon is more knowledgeable than I am, but he was certinaly impressed when I met him with the information I already knew. I knew exactly how the surgery was going to be performed. I understood exactly what was expected of me mentally.

When I went to see him, I even told him ... "This is my new opportunity to start over. I will be having a new "baby" tummy and know I have to think that way". He was glad that I understood this.

When I answer others on this site, I always leave them by saying... "your doctor did surgery on your stomach, not your brain" or "You have a new BABY stomach, treat it that way."

Mentally you need to realize that it is a new beginning. I know it is tough, especially if you were not prepared of what would happen.

Here is some helpful thoughts.

1. First 2 weeks is liquids only

2. 3-6 weeks - start with the soft/pureed foods (no nuts or seeds)

3. 7-12m - start off by eatting new foods introducing them one at a time. (still no seeds or nuts)

4. Relax and let your stomach heal

5. No stomach crunches until after 6 months to make sure you are healed 100%

6. Walk as much as you can.

7. Drink plenty of fluids (if you don't like the Protein drinks, don't drink them...... I don't and my Protein levels are fine)

8. Think positively every day.

9. You will loose weight, just give it time.

10. DO NOT STEP ON scale DAILY. Try every week or every other week

REMEMBER: You did this to become more healthier and you will succeed. If you feel depressed, go to a therpaist and talk to someone. This is one subject that my surgeon made sure I did if I needed to. I am assuming before the surgery you met with a Therapist. Call them if you need. They are there for you.

I hope this helps. You are doing great, things will get better, and you will learn to eat more and more each month. Just relax, breath, and enjoy this new journey.

Have a sparkling sunshiny day...

Annamarie

I was recently sleeved also (April 9) and I am going through the same thing. I researched this for years! Went to the seminars, researched online and in books, talked to numerous people who had the procedure and was 100% sure this is what I want and need to do. The day after surgery I was a crying mess asking God what had I done to myself. Finding this forum has helped tremendously. Nobody knows better than someone who has been through it and so many here have helped me. I still have the occasional down feeling but definitely better and ready to eat real food again, but at the same time scared to. Hope you feel better!!

I was recently sleeved also (April 9) and I am going through the same thing. I researched this for years! Went to the seminars, researched online and in books, talked to numerous people who had the procedure and was 100% sure this is what I want and need to do. The day after surgery I was a crying mess asking God what had I done to myself. Finding this forum has helped tremendously. Nobody knows better than someone who has been through it and so many here have helped me. I still have the occasional down feeling but definitely better and ready to eat real food again, but at the same time scared to. Hope you feel better!!

yes i agree no matter how research or information uve been giving NOTHING has prepared for this very moment this journey has been CRAZY ive asked my self a million times why did i voluntarily do this to myself i felt like i took my rights away i was and still am bitter about the choice i made and sorry to say i dont wanna heal to see results i wanna heal so i can EAT!! Not to mention im going to miami may 30th ???? idk how this is gonna play out well see tho any i was sleeved 3.23 so im still new to this to im here if u ever need to talk because i could use a friendly ear as well

It is definitely a struggle. And of course all of my friends who have been sleeved had no issues and are just wonderful! This site has been a life saver!! Read some posts from other people on here. It helps to know that some of these issues will pass. I'm new to all of this so I can't really give much advice but I'm here for support any time. Sounds like we are in the same boat.

It is definitely a struggle. And of course all of my friends who have been sleeved had no issues and are just wonderful! This site has been a life saver!! Read some posts from other people on here. It helps to know that some of these issues will pass. I'm new to all of this so I can't really give much advice but I'm here for support any time. Sounds like we are in the same boat.

yes i see how easy it has been for other sleevers and i envy them im just ready to be normal again im so tired of the gas the soreness the sips , crazy how we take things for granted what i wouldn't give to just down a bottle of Water but i does get a lil easier as each week approaches but theres gotta be a pot of gold at the end of the tunnel

I was also required to do a 6 month process. I used the time to make sure I knew the ins and outs of the surgery and the new lifestyle. I worked to gradually cut down on my sugar and fat so I wouldn't be in shock when I had the surgery. I also kept it in my mind why I was having the surgery. I would talk to myself about it. Every night I would sit on the computer and research. I would watch videos. I would read blogs. I did whatever I could to be prepared.

That being said...It is hard to pass up my favorite foods and I wish I could eat bread, but I know that eventually I will be able to eat bread again. It will be smaller portions less frequently, but I will be able to have some. It will all be worth it in the end. Stay strong and remember why you had the surgery. You can't go back and change it, so you might as well just start looking to the future.

Good luck

I'm only 3 weeks out, and had to give myself a big brain adjustment. I'm now really looking at the positive things... food doesn't control me. It's so wonderful, I feel like I am in charge. It's empowering. I really really enjoy the food I do eat... So I'm not being deprived. I've actually really enjoyed the liquid & soft stage, ate lots of Soups I wouldn't have normally & they were good. I'm eating foods that I never got to eat on my super restrictive crash diets!

yes i agree no matter how research or information uve been giving NOTHING has prepared for this very moment this journey has been CRAZY ive asked my self a million times why did i voluntarily do this to myself i felt like i took my rights away i was and still am bitter about the choice i made and sorry to say i dont wanna heal to see results i wanna heal so i can EAT!! Not to mention im going to miami may 30th ???? idk how this is gonna play out well see tho any i was sleeved 3.23 so im still new to this to im here if u ever need to talk because i could use a friendly ear as well

I feel the same way! I think I'm upset at myself now for not being able to control myself enough to do it on my own, now I feel like I'll never eat again! That was my punishment! Lol

I was fully prepared and nothing surgery wise or physically has really surprised me. I did however have an irrational full blown panic attack about 2 weeks post op. I was laying in bed almost asleep and was overcome by this feeling/idea that I would never eat real food again, and would be sipping Water and Protein drinks for the rest of my life. I went into a cold sweat, rapid heartbeat, tunnel vision, all out 30 minute anxiety attack LOL! I got up and walked it off, and that has been my only real moment of "WTF did I do to myself"... but it was a doozy.

Ironically, I was already eating Soups, yogurt, sugar free Jello and pudding at that time.... so it really made no sense.

Congratulations on your surgery.

Everyone needs to be their own health advocate. We need to read up as much as we can and ask questions or research the answers when we don't know.

Search topics here for some first hand experience and on the internet (from reputable sources such as major hospitals, JAMA, etc.) for studies from professionals in the weight loss surgery, nutrition & medical fields.

Your body is going not only through physical changes (including hormonal) but you are going through mental changes too.

Be happy for what you are becoming and don't look at what you can't do, it is far out shadowed by what you can and will be able to do now.

As far as not eating the foods you ate before, that is not entirely true. You should be able to eat the same foods as you did before, just that you need to eat them in moderation and some of them less frequently and in moderation (like "slider foods").

You are on the path to a new you. It is a weight loss journey, you will gain wisdom and learn along this path.

:)