Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Serious Regrets.....Anyone Else?

Guest ZenGarden

Guest ZenGarden

That sounds great in theory, but I have a very conservative surgeon. I have to wait at least 6-8 weeks in between fills. My next appointment is on July 5th and you bet your sweet a$$ I'm getting an adjustment.

FINALLY! Someone else who was over 300+ pounds pre-op.....I was beginning to think I was the only one. Would love to know your secret to staying motivated about your decision...

Thanks again,

Shannon

We'll I'm someone that's over 400 lbs. I have lost 39lbs But it defiently wasn't easy. I know that it's hard and all I can say is keep your head up. Another suggestion is to keep track of you calorie intake your excersise that way maybe you can monitor all that and maybe figure out what's just not working for you. And also yu may need another fill. Sit down and talk with your doctor

36_2_25.gif

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZUxdm265MJUS

It's not your fault your surgeon has a conservative fill policy, but if it were me, I'd challenge him on it. My research revealed no medical reason for a fill policy like that -- only a financial incentive for the medical practice (fills aren't lucrative where surgery is, so fewer fills allows for more surgery and less follow-up care).

My opinion is that your frustration with the band directly relates to your doctor's fill policy. So, I'd either try to change it, or change the fill doctor (or supplement it). Or, if you really can't do those, at least recognize that your band isn't failing you -- you've just got to let a little time pass to get to the fill level you need to make it kick into gear.

I don't know where you're located, but in many areas there are fill centers where you can pay à la carte for fills, independent of where you had your surgery. Financials permitting, you might look into that. It seems to me that most people find restriction on about fill 3. Your options are to wait 12 weeks or to find another source for fills. Either way, you're going to get there in terms of the band working for you, just hang in there!

Just thought I'd commiserate -- I was banded last May and am down about 50 lbs from my highest weight. I'm a consistent exerciser (3-4 times per week) and work out with a trainer. I know your frustration. I didn't get real restriction until 2 months ago. And over that time I've lost 8 lbs and FINALLY got below 200.

With a significant amount of restriction, I don't have what I'd call "normal" eating habits, though it may be typical for those that have hit their sweet spot:

1) I can't eat Breakfast -- I can only drink it, and it takes me at least 1 hour to do so (no more eating on the run).

2) There are days that I can eat a very small bit of fruit and salad and there are days that I'm lucky to keep down cottage cheese (and I've yet to figure out why this is).

3) I've had two severe reflux episodes over the past two months.

My point is this: even a year out, I'm still learning how to live and work with my band. I know that without the band, I would have continued my steady march upward. And 50 lbs means I'm down at about two sizes (I'm not really sure as I had stretched my size 18s out to kingdom come). Even though my weight's coming off s l o w l y, I don't have the fear that I'll gain it back. This time, my mind is making the journey with my body and I make sure I feel comfortable at each stop along the weightloss path.

So don't give up hope. The band is working for you, and with additional fills, it will work even more efficiently. For now, enjoy the fact that you can exercise longer, can walk farther without being short of breath, have energy that you thought you'd never have. And remember -- every ounce down is going in the right direction -- and that's success any way you slice it.

Yes, I'm struggling as well with my weight loss (23 lbs since banding on March 19). I just had my third fill and am hoping for some restriction but don't feel any today and it is my first day of regular food. I'm not ready to give up yet and am still glad that I got banded. I know I would have gained weight in the period that I have lost and I'm hopeful that once I have the proper restriction then I will lose faster. Before I was banded my dr. told me that I would only lose 1-2 lbs average per week and that seems to be holding true. Of course, I hoped for more but it's just not happening. I'm resigned now to the 1-2 lbs per week once I'm restricted. And every fill is a step closer to proper restriction. It's a process and I think it's way too early to doubt my decision. I was self-pay and I'm not willing to think that I wasted the money, either.

Listen to the previous posts--great advice! Stay positive and give the band a chance. Every time I have a fill that doesn't work, I just tell myself that I'm that much closer to getting to the proper fill amount. Baby steps. But the steps are in the right direction and I'm grateful for that. Good luck!

Dr. Scott is my surgeon also, and I have to say that I disagree with what you said about his adjustment policy. He does schedule me a visit in 6-8 weeks, but he always says to call if I need to come in sooner. He is a great doctor, and I would hate to see you change doctors and not get the best care available. Call him or Ginger if you are having problems. I have always found that they are happy to help you. Hang in there, 25 pound weight loss in 4 months is great. He tells us up front to expect to lose 1-2 pounds a week and that it may take up to 3 years to reach goal. Seems to me that you are right on track.

There is no need for her to challenge him on his policy. He is my doctor also, and he does schedule a follow-up in 6-8 weeks, but he always tells me to call if I need to come in sooner. I think that is just a misunderstanding on zengirls part.

Okay, I'm gonna say it: I am seriously regretting getting the lap band and now I'm thinking I should have opted for gastric bypass instead.

The story: I had surgery on March 26th and have lost a whopping 25 pounds since then. The first 20 pounds came off during the liquid/mush phase during the first five weeks, so that means I've only lost a total of FIVE POUNDS in almost 2 months???

I am so disappointed and discouraged at this point. I've been doing cardio and weight training FIVE TIMES A WEEK....AND I had my first fill of 1.5 cc's on May 16. My hunger level is still much higher than I expected and I am no where nearly as restricted as I would like to be.

Anyone else struggling with this?

I got my band on the 27th of March. I have lost only 35lbs. I am quite restricted and spend a lot of time losing my meals. I am happy that I have lost weight,but like you I lost most in the first month when I could not eat or drink anything. I had complications and was swollen shut for two weeks. I can't say I regret my decision, but there are days when I am sad for the loss of the ability to eat. I find I drink too many calories and that's probably why I am not losing.

Sorry you are so frustrated. I can tell you this...you are not filled enough. You shouldn't be hungry. You should only be able to eat 1/4 cup of food for optimal restriction. You can get back on track. You need to speak to your surgeon and get this sorted out. 1-2 lbs a week is average. You are just about there. Don't be so frustrated. This is a marathon, not a short race.

Well, I have all of you beat on the "slowest loser" train. I am only down 5 lbs since I was banded in March. I have better restriction now that I got filled for the second time on June 24th. But I am only down 1 lb since that fill date. Unfortunately I have absolutely no one to blame but myself. I haven't been exercising and I know that I am eating around the band and taking in too many calories via foods that "slide past it" IE) choc chip Cookies dipped in milk. I know that it is a mental thing for me right now and and I need to get my head back on straight and smarten up. I have arranged for a buddy to start working out with me tomorrow and I am going to start writing down what I eat in fit day.

I will never hear the end of it from my husband if I can't make this work for me after spending $18,000 on it..... The part that really pisses me off is that I know the band will work if I will give it half a chance instead of sabotauging it. ARRRRGGH - back into therapy I go!.

Mommy 202 & those who are struggling: try FITDAY.COM if you aren't already. Be honest about the food you eat and see if it helps... The band isn't magic, it's only supposed to help you on your way. I'm not banded yet, but feel like my BRAIN is in gear for this... and that's half the battle right there. I've just started with Fitday and think it'll be a great tool for me as well... It'll keep me accountable... If I'm not losing, I'll be able to pull it up and see exactly where I'm screwing up. No point in fudging food entries... you'll only by lying to yourself...

Just another "tool!"

I will never hear the end of it from my husband if I can't make this work for me after spending $18,000 on it..... The part that really pisses me off is that I know the band will work if I will give it half a chance instead of sabotauging it. ARRRRGGH - back into therapy I go!.

I completely understand your concern.

I wonder if what my friend is going through isn't similar to what you are going through. She has a HUGE sugar addiction. This is a gal that eats sugar to an extreme. She eats her 800 calories a day in food (as my doc suggests) and then tops that off with 2000 calories daily in sugar. In her case she just couldn't break the sugar cycle. It's easy to make big plans and say no more sugar after she just had her fix, but when the cravings and blood sugar spikes kicked in she couldn't stop herself. She had to have it.

We went away for a three day weekend and there was literally no sugar in the house. (She has a weekend home in another city) We were out in the middle of nowhere, with nothing around. No restaurants, the only market was a cheesy, creepy little dirty place that she wouldn't buy anything there anyway.

After three days and not a grain of sugar passing her lips she broke the cycle. She also lost two pounds that weekend vs. the one pound she's lost in the last five months.

Now that the cycle is broken she can do it on her own.

I suspect that she'll go back to sugar soon and we'll have to do the 3 day weekend again but that's okay, next time it will be a little easier because she'll know what to expect. I really do think (from watching her) that each time she does this she'll be closer to the goal. The goal being, to realize she can do this.

I relate to this on a personal level. For me it isn't sugar but white carbs. bread, potatoes, rice, Pasta, anything with flour/yeast. But not candy. Sweets I can take it or leave it. For me I was kinda lucky because the things I love and the things that got me fat to begin with are foods I *can't* eat anymore. My band is pretty clear about that. :lol: I can't eat bread, potatoes, rice, Pasta, or anything with a flour/yeast combo. I was about to climb the walls when I was first banded. But after a few days I was fine. It was a matter of breaking the cycle.

What if... now just think about this. What if you were to forget calories for a week. Don't worry about the number of calories you are consuming. Just get rid of the sugar. When you have head hunger... feed it. But not with sugar. No more Cookies dipped in milk. No more anything that is preventing you from realizing you can do this. If you have the munchies find a Protein. Nuts, meat, whatever. But NO sugar. I'm not saying go crazy and eat non stop but don't worry about how much you are eating, just what you are eating.

Then you will have broken the hard part of the cycle and you can get moving with watching all of it, portion size, calories, the works. Even if you have to leave town for a few days with a friend that won't let you fail for a few days. If my own experience proves true, you'll absolutely hate the person you are with, you'll want to scratch their eyes out when you want a cookie and they won't let you have one. :) But after all is done and over, I think you might find it will pay off.

Mommy 202 & those who are struggling: ... The band isn't magic, it's only supposed to help you on your way. I'm not banded yet, but feel like my BRAIN is in gear for this... and that's half the battle right there. ...

Just my own personal experience but I think about 20% of it is realizing you are really serious about doing something, 20% is food choices, and 60% is dealing with the head stuff that you discover after being banded.

For me the hardest part of all this is undoing old thinking, not justifying more food, learning facts vs. myths, admitting what I know to be true but pretending the myths are true anyway, and overall, changing how I think.

Some of the myths being:

Starvation mode, increase calories and you'll lose weight. Science shows us that isn't true.

Needing more food when ill. Not true, your body has plenty of Vitamin and Protein stores. If you don't eat non stop while ill, you will survive the virus/infection/whatever.

Or the justification... I had a bad day today, a REALLY bad day. I deserve to eat an entire package of Cookies. Someone really made me angry and I deserve a cake. I saved a life today, I deserve to eat a pie. Best yet, I'll just eat two cakes today and tomorrow I'll start again while finishing out the day with a non stop binge. I had to change my thinking and realize that I'm starting now, this minute.