Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I hate my surgical group...

I can't believe I'm even writing this. I had heard great things about Dr. Arif Ahmad and Long Island Laparoscopic but after my various interactions with the office, medical staff and the group meeting, I'm seriously considering looking elsewhere. My initial consultation went wonderfully, I felt comfortable and excited for the next step. Then...the other shoe dropped. I scheduled my first battery of tests (blood work, pulmonary, ultrasound, nutrition and psych evaluation) and off the bat something was wrong. I'd speak to one receptionist/scheduler who would tell me my insurance won't allow me to do everything on the same day so she schedules the tests on various days - then I got a call from someone else who asked why I did it this way and when I said someone in the office had told me to do it that way she said "oh, don't listen to her...she doesn't know anything". I scheduled everything for 10:45am (I had planned other things later in the day), I got a call 3 days prior and was asked to come in at 12:15pm as they had a scheduling issue (I rescheduled the rest of my day). I then show up at 12:15pm and was told everyone had been waiting on me! They rush me into the room for blood work, then into another room for the ultrasound then a 3rd room for a pulmonary test. I'm then told due to a scheduling error (again) I have an hour and a half until my next appointment. The nutritionist, bless her, was a fresh faced college grad who clearly had never struggled with food or weight and spent 20 minutes telling me about sugar free Jell-O. I was then rushed into a meeting with the psychologist (who is not a psychologist but a licensed master social worker - not the same). She spent, at max, 30 minutes with me (10 of which were telling me it's her birthday and then she was fielding calls from her mother) asking if I've ever been suicidal, what diets have I tried and have I decided who is going to drive me home from surgery. I was disheartened and confused -- I have friends who had the surgery with other doctors and who had wonderful pre surgical experiences, that's what I was hoping for. But, I thought "hey, you've already spent the $250 program fee and you have the group meeting tomorrow...it could turn around!".

I just left the "support group" and I'm completely disappointed. The "meeting" started with a 30 minute sales pitch from a Bariatric Advantage salesman. We were then "discussed" surgery...by discussed I mean we sat around in a circle, introduced ourselves and talked about how we can't drink after surgery. WHAT? I didn't come here for AA, I came to ask questions and be informed. The "group meeting" was again run by stick thin dietitians, not people who have gone through surgery and could give first hand experiences.

Bottom line...I don't feel comfortable. I don't think this is a competent group of people and I don't want to put my life and future into the hands of a bunch of halfwits. I run a business and had been conducting my meetings/schedules (I perform wedding ceremonies) based on the idea that I'd be having surgery in the middle of July, now I have no idea if that's possible and I could have potentially lost hundreds of dollars from clients.

Has anyone switched surgeons? Is anyone familiar with Dr. Arif Ahmad? I'm thinking of using Dr. Brathwaite at Winthrop - any tips?

That sounds awful :( I'm so sorry!! Do you already have a surgery date? Could you find another surgeon/practice and have them use their tests?

I switched 4 months into a 6month requirement and had to start over.

The weight that lifted off my shoulders when I finally made the decision to do so was huge.

You are entrusting your life with these people. You are far more valuable than the $250 investment. Do not go into surgery with any nigglings of doubt. So not worth it.

I am not familiar with the surgeons in your area so sorry I can't be of help there. Transferring the test results should be no problem. I would suggest you talk to the manager of the center about your concerns. Good luck!

Edited by samuelsmom

I don't know that I would even trust the test results, incompetency breeds incompetency. If you are IN THE SLIGHTEST uncomfortable, call your insurance (if you are using insurance) and tell them what you have experienced, and ask if you can switch. Make sure the other office would be covered (some may not pass the insurance's standards...) by your insurance while you are still on the phone with the insurance company, so you don't waste your time. If they won't cover it, or won't let you switch, then at least you wouldn't have spent time/money on the other office. Good luck to you, and let us know how you fare....

Oh!

I switched because my doctor was pushing bypass which I absolutely did not want. He had no medical reasoning, **he** just felt more "comfortable". For himself! mind you! not based on MY needs.

His nurse also pushed bypass because she felt that I should embrace the idea of dumping because it's what kept her thin (she had bypass). She thought I was crazy to wanted to live as normal a life as possible and have a bite of birthday cake once in awhile.

My final straw was overhearing him in the hallway telling her he didn't like to do sleeves and to "convince" me. Hahahaha! You think I'm hardheaded online? You should meet me in person.

I told him to bite my big fat ass and walked. Best decision ever.

Call your insurance co to get their policy clarified on this. Surely transferring the results should not be a problem. Also, Make a practice of getting all your tests and results mailed to you.

Go with your gut ( no pun here)! Those should all be red flags! Expect caring, informed, organized and professional staff. That support group sounds like a joke - a bad one.

Good luck.

My surgeon is/was excellent and I had every confidence in him. That's about where it ends. Most pronounced are the two NUTS in his office, just wack-a-doos, All of my time with them has been...interesting. My two nutrition classes were dominated by PATIENTS who wanted to discuss when they could drink alcohol again, and all sorts of other ridiculous crap that was just a waste of time. I will certainly see MY surgeon in the future when/if I have any questions or concerns, but after my 8 week check I am pretty much done with the rest.

I don't have any problems with my surgeon or the health educators & nurses that run the bariatric program. They seem to be very much on top of it and knowledgable. At least 2 of them have had VSG. The NUT on the other hand, I have no confidence in her! My first appointment with her I told her I shouldn't eat white bread because it has sugar in it. (I'm diabetic) She argued with me that it's a starch and had flour but no sugar. I kept telling her yes, bread has sugar in it. Just look at the nutrition label. It's right there at the top of the ingredients. She finally stopped trying to convince me I was wrong but I could see the look on her face. She thought I was crazy. She wasn't trying to tell me I should be eating it, but I'm thinking what kind of a nutritionist doesn't know something so basic?? With all that said, luckily the pre/post op diet and nutrition is totally handled through the nurse educators, not the NUT.

After sleeping on it and hashing it out with my husband (who is insanely supportive), I'm 100% going with a different practice. I called my insurance company to go over everything with them and was told that I should be seeing someone I'm comfortable with - they noted my file so that when it comes time for approval there are no hiccups. I've called the new practice and they are going to have their patient advocate call me later today -- they have a patient advocate!

I'm so lucky to have found such a wonderful resource in BariatricPal.com. Last nigh in the "group meeting" I was fuming and all I kept thinking was "I need to go write a post about this and see what others have done!".

Thank you all so much for the support.

I switched surgeons twice because of lack of organization. I was like if you work like this you may re-arrange my insides...I couldn't deal with it. Luckily my new surgeon accepted a lot of the prior testing from the previous surgeons (edg, psy eval etc.) My thing is I wanted to be comfortable with who I picked. If you are uncomfortable leave!

Good luck!

Hi All!

I just wanted to give everyone an update. I called the original office, Dr. Ahmad, and asked for some clarification on a few things...turns out he's not even the surgeon who would be operating! He'll be in the room but won't be the one doing the surgery...WHAT?!? After that revelation and speaking with my insurance company, I've officially switched practices. I just didn't feel comfortable with the way the old office was handling things and I couldn't allow them the chance to rearrange my organs!

As if the universe wasn't pointing me in the right direction already, I reached out to a high school friend to catch up. I haven't really seen her in 11 years but for whatever reason I was compelled to touch base. Turns out she's having the same surgery with the same surgeon TOMORROW! Ok, universe -- I get it!

Thanks for all the support guys!! :P

Too cool! Best of luck and keep us posted!!

I can't believe I'm even writing this. I had heard great things about Dr. Arif Ahmad and Long Island Laparoscopic but after my various interactions with the office, medical staff and the group meeting, I'm seriously considering looking elsewhere. My initial consultation went wonderfully, I felt comfortable and excited for the next step. Then...the other shoe dropped. I scheduled my first battery of tests (blood work, pulmonary, ultrasound, nutrition and psych evaluation) and off the bat something was wrong. I'd speak to one receptionist/scheduler who would tell me my insurance won't allow me to do everything on the same day so she schedules the tests on various days - then I got a call from someone else who asked why I did it this way and when I said someone in the office had told me to do it that way she said "oh, don't listen to her...she doesn't know anything". I scheduled everything for 10:45am (I had planned other things later in the day), I got a call 3 days prior and was asked to come in at 12:15pm as they had a scheduling issue (I rescheduled the rest of my day). I then show up at 12:15pm and was told everyone had been waiting on me! They rush me into the room for blood work, then into another room for the ultrasound then a 3rd room for a pulmonary test. I'm then told due to a scheduling error (again) I have an hour and a half until my next appointment. The nutritionist, bless her, was a fresh faced college grad who clearly had never struggled with food or weight and spent 20 minutes telling me about sugar free Jell-O. I was then rushed into a meeting with the psychologist (who is not a psychologist but a licensed master social worker - not the same). She spent, at max, 30 minutes with me (10 of which were telling me it's her birthday and then she was fielding calls from her mother) asking if I've ever been suicidal, what diets have I tried and have I decided who is going to drive me home from surgery. I was disheartened and confused -- I have friends who had the surgery with other doctors and who had wonderful pre surgical experiences, that's what I was hoping for. But, I thought "hey, you've already spent the $250 program fee and you have the group meeting tomorrow...it could turn around!".

I just left the "support group" and I'm completely disappointed. The "meeting" started with a 30 minute sales pitch from a Bariatric Advantage salesman. We were then "discussed" surgery...by discussed I mean we sat around in a circle, introduced ourselves and talked about how we can't drink after surgery. WHAT? I didn't come here for AA, I came to ask questions and be informed. The "group meeting" was again run by stick thin dietitians, not people who have gone through surgery and could give first hand experiences.

Bottom line...I don't feel comfortable. I don't think this is a competent group of people and I don't want to put my life and future into the hands of a bunch of halfwits. I run a business and had been conducting my meetings/schedules (I perform wedding ceremonies) based on the idea that I'd be having surgery in the middle of July, now I have no idea if that's possible and I could have potentially lost hundreds of dollars from clients.

Has anyone switched surgeons? Is anyone familiar with Dr. Arif Ahmad? I'm thinking of using Dr. Brathwaite at Winthrop - any tips?

go with your gut feeling & find another group. Some practices go out of whack because they are greedy & seeing too many patients. Also just think you will be dealing with the group pre-op, post-op & a life-time. Good luck with everything.