Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just be aware that our bodies can only absorb about 20g protein/hour. Anything more than that is simply turned to glucose. So by taking in that much Protein in a short period of time, you are defeating the whole "no fruit" concept. (Which I disagree with, anyways.... Depleting your body of nutrients just to accelerate weight loss doesn't seem responsible or healthy). If you are burning more calories than you are taking in, your body will burn fat for fuel whether you are eating fruit or not. My Protein smoothies are usually 30-40g protein, but I drink them over at least 2 hours in order to get the benefit of all the protein.

And the GENEPRO throws a whole other wrench into knowing just how much protein you are really getting. I can find no published studies that actually confirm the absorption and utilization of this chemically modified molecule. Since your nut approves it, I would love to see any clinical trial results they may have read that actually supports the manufacturer's claims.

The whole 20 grams of protein over an hour is highly debatable both my surgeon and my nutritionist (they are not connected at all) do not agree that is true at all.

As for depleting my body of sugar, a lot of people start this journey diabetic. Although I was not diabetic I took the highest allowable dose of metformin and it still wasn't controlling my PCOS and insulin resistance. Fruit is one of the last things you need to add into your diet especially because it is so high in carbs. If you're going to add in something extra with the protein veggies are a better option and this is for any diet not just us. The logic about the sugar makes sense to me and the surgeons office has seen proven weight loss by doing it this way. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean your way is the right way.

As for the GENEPRO my nutritionist okayed it. There are countless people using the product, getting routine blood work from their surgeons and having no issues with their protein levels so im going to continue to use it. If you can choke down the nasty chemical laden Protein drinks more power to you but I can't. Id rather be putting a small amount of something in my body than a large amount of man made who knows what (remember Protein Powder is not regulated whatsoever).

You do what you think is best for your body and im going to do what I think is best. Every surgeon is different in their thoughts and as we all know there is no set guide for weight loss surgery.

I did not gain weight from eating poorly in the past i gained weight from a medical condition. I hate that we are asked to put all this processed stuff into our diet after this surgery to help hit protein goals.

Edited by CE24

I try not to make it a habit but I get an OJ once in awhile and it totally feeds my sweet tooth. I try to make it last 2 days. I buy maybe 2 bananas a month. I like them on the green side so in my head I think less carbs if not ripe. I eat half. Save the rest for another time.

I bought a container of fresh pineapple a couple weeks ago. I haven't touched it. It keeps staring at me when I open the frig door. It's going in the freezer. I have a container of frozen raspberries. So if I get a sweet tooth I'm covered.

Here's a trick I learned years ago. To balance the sugars in fruit, eat some Protein with your choice. Peanut Butter w banana. cheese with Apple and so on. You'll be less likely to bottom out from the fructose if you pair it with a Protein. Pineapple/cottage cheese. pineapple with chicken, etc.

With your other health concerns, I certainly understand your nut's suggestion to limit fruit. But as for chemical laden Protein supplements, whey and milk Protein concentrates certainly are not. whey is simply the liquid part of milk that floats to the top when making cheese. Then it's dehydrated and becomes whey Protein Powder. No chemicals involved. The solid part is curd, which contains mostly casein protein.

As for man made, GENEPRO definitely is. They take 100% whey protein, pass it through a gel electrophoresis process in order to strip the hydrogen atoms from it. Then they filter it some more and add on another molecule to stabilize it. As far as I'm concerned, this is no longer protein. It's like removing hydrogen molecules from Water....now it becomes oxygen, and the two are not interchangeable.

Until I see actual clinic studies involving not only pre and post serum levels, but also urine and fecal protein levels, I am not convinced that this molecule is something the body's cells recognizes and utilizes as protein. So far the only "research" on GENEPRO is coming directly from the manufacturer. No 3rd party support or verification whatsoever.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying there isn't enough scientific evidence to convince me it's good. I'll stick with real protein for now.

Here's a trick I learned years ago. To balance the sugars in fruit, eat some Protein with your choice. Peanut Butter w banana. cheese with Apple and so on. You'll be less likely to bottom out from the fructose if you pair it with a Protein. Pineapple/cottage cheese. pineapple with chicken, etc.

Yeah, my nutritionist told me never to eat carbs without protein. So always Peanut Butter or greek yogurt or something like that along with my fruits or whole grains. Of course, I'm still never really eating fruits or whole grains, so it hasn't been an issue for me yet.

With your other health concerns, I certainly understand your nut's suggestion to limit fruit. But as for chemical laden Protein supplements, whey and milk Protein concentrates certainly are not. Whey is simply the liquid part of milk that floats to the top when making cheese. Then it's dehydrated and becomes whey protein powder. No chemicals involved. The solid part is curd, which contains mostly casein protein.

As for man made, GENEPRO definitely is. They take 100% whey protein, pass it through a gel electrophoresis process in order to strip the hydrogen atoms from it. Then they filter it some more and add on another molecule to stabilize it. As far as I'm concerned, this is no longer protein. It's like removing hydrogen molecules from Water....now it becomes oxygen, and the two are not interchangeable.

Until I see actual clinic studies involving not only pre and post serum levels, but also urine and fecal protein levels, I am not convinced that this molecule is something the body's cells recognizes and utilizes as protein. So far the only "research" on GENEPRO is coming directly from the manufacturer. No 3rd party support or verification whatsoever.

I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying there isn't enough scientific evidence to convince me it's good. I'll stick with real protein for now.

I never said my nutritionist told me to avoid fruit I specifically said my SURGEON. This is what they have deemed necessary for ALL their patients to succeed. Just because your surgeon doesn't have that stance doesn't make your point of view right. Again all fruit is loaded with sugar and carbs. Sugar is sugar to your body no matter how you obtains it.

Again protein powder is not regulated in any way. Perhaps reading this article will give you a different perspective.

powders.html" rel="external nofollow">http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11371/why-you-really-shouldnt-use-protein-powders.html

That article is just another another opinion, trying to simplify a complex issue. And debating opinions is a waste of time. You eat your GENEPRO, I'll eat my whey, and Julie will eat her hemp. Discussion over.

That article is just another another opinion, trying to simplify a complex issue. And debating opinions is a waste of time. You eat your GENEPRO, I'll eat my whey, and Julie will eat her hemp. Discussion over.

You're being quite rude in your responses. Perhaps you need to read up on etiquette. Like most people ok this site your opinion is not the not one sorry to make you realize that.

I have recently become obsessed with fruit! I have turned to fruit which I KNOW is a good thing because I have had a wicked sweet tooth for candy lately and the fruit is helping me stay away from that. But I'm still messed up in the head cuz all I think about is the sugar and carbs in fruit. Have any of you added fruit significantly into your diet? Has it made you gain weight at all? Regardless I'm staying away from candy of course but I want your opinion on fruit.

Too much of anything is not a good idea. I would actually look to address the sweet tooth rather than OD on fruit. (For me eating heavily processed foods made me crave sweets). I eat fruit quite regularly, however I make it a point to limit that to 1 - 2 sleeve size portions. I may have a bit in my morning Protein drink and then again in an afternoon snack if needed. I'm a vegetarian so I also have to keep in mind all the fruits that we commonly think of as vegetables. So if I have a salad that means tomatoes, peppers and avocados.

Apples are super good for you and dont have as much sugar as some of the melons or acidic fruit. Apples are the kind of fruit that actually burns calories. It takes more effort to eat and process the apple than consuming it.

Apples are super good for you and dont have as much sugar as some of the melons or acidic fruit. Apples are the kind of fruit that actually burns calories. It takes more effort to eat and process the apple than consuming it.

Apples make me feel so hungry after I eat them, so I have yoghurt with them or a spoonful of Peanut Butter before - makes it more of a chore when I can't just pull an apple out of my bag and eat on the run. Love them, though.

I've been eating an apple or orange (sometimes both) every day for a few weeks. I'm just at 7 months post op and am around 10 pounds from goal. I lost 5.8 pounds last week so adding fruit hasn't affected my weight loss. I firmly believe that in order to have long term success it is important to eat a balanced diet. No one can ever tell me that eating fresh fruit in moderation is a bad thing. Compared to the crap I used to stuff myself with eating an apple is nothing...carbs, sugars and all. I've seen too many cautionary tales on here of folks that didn't lose all of the weight or regained much of it. I think in my case, being too restrictive with certain foods isn't sustainable long term. I can tell you what I don't eat...fried foods, Pasta, chips, fries, pizza, pop, etc...all the stuff that led me to surgery in the first place. Fruits and vegetables didn't make me fat.

One of the things that concerned me with some bariatric diets was the lack of balance- no fruit, veggies, etc. Once I hit about 3 months out I started adding more veggies and about 4 months out more fruit--I find that I am more regular and feel good with the added fruit. I don't eat a ton, mostly an apple every day and berries when having a Protein shake.

Works for me!

I know the cashiers at the store probably talk about my once a month banana buying habits. I buy one and try to get the greenest one I can. Whoa there Nelly...pace yourself! And it's 2 servings. Lol

Anyone have an insane craving for salt?