Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have recently become obsessed with fruit! I have turned to fruit which I KNOW is a good thing because I have had a wicked sweet tooth for candy lately and the fruit is helping me stay away from that. But I'm still messed up in the head cuz all I think about is the sugar and carbs in fruit. Have any of you added fruit significantly into your diet? Has it made you gain weight at all? Regardless I'm staying away from candy of course but I want your opinion on fruit.

@@teshadb

Personally i stay away from fruit. Our bodies dont know one sugar from another. I dont think its a problem having it sometimes but I would imagine that it will lead to deeper cravings for sweets. I would just say to keep control of it and when you do eat fruit in small portions try eating it with some Protein.

If it comes down to you eating a candy bar or fruit eat the fruit, at least it has natural sugars and nutrients in it. Eat your fruit don't drink it if possible. You get a lot more calories and sugar in Fruit Drinks compared to the actual whole fruit. :)

I have a hard time eating some fruits although I love it. I have to blend it into a Protein smoothie. I know too much sugar is bad but I think fruit in moderation would be better than candy to beat that sweet tooth.

Once I was cleared for soft fruits, specially melons, I live off Honeydew -- I don't see the harm in it. I've never had a sugary problem when I gained my weight. fruit is good sugar from what I was informed by my NUT, so I try to incorporate it into my daily intake (a few pieces here and there.) I try to avoid really acidic stuff and things with fibers of course, but honeydew melons and pineapple chunks are sitting nicely in my tummy and giving me the boast I need.

I am getting fruit in occasionally and it has not affected my weight loss. I just live by the rule, Protein first!

Yep - in fact, my doc just suggested I add more for the Fiber and potassium. It hasn't had any negative impact thus far. There might be sugar in fruit, but the calories are still a lot lower than a Peanut Butter cup!

My main problem with fruit, just like veggies, is that I have no room for it! I wouldn't object to the calories if I could fit it into my diet and still manage to get all my Protein in. But I haven't been willing to sacrifice protein in order to make room for fruits and veggies.

I rarely eat fruit. I'd rather eat a snack that has Protein in it.

I eat fruit, apples oranges grapes strawberries pineapple peaches. I lose on them, they are filling also. I do make sure to get in my Protein. But really if we are to lead normal lives after surgery we need to eat normally. There is nothing wrong with sugar in fruit. I stay away from bananas because I can eat a lot of them (for me anyway). And they have always made me hungry.

I found I had more energy on the days I added fruit to my Protein smoothies starting 3 weeks postop. Bananas, peaches and mangos at first, and then berries after 3 months when I was OK'd for seeds. I ate apples and PB2 several times/weeks starting about 2 months out. (I eventually switched to real Peanut Butter after I hit goal). Once I got within 10 pounds if goal, I added a lot more fruit into my diet. My favorite snack during the heat of the summer was frozen fruit....pineapple chunks, orange slices, cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc. I always have and still do get all my protein in, but I make a conscious effort to eat fruit and veggies everyday. I've maintained below goal for 7 months, so obviously the fruit hasn't been detrimental to me. For me, a healthy diet means a balanced diet, just like "normal" thin, healthy people eat.

I eat at least 3 servings of fruit a day. I do get my Protein first, but Greek yogurt and an apple after a workout is the best! I also eat a lot of dried fruit--peaches, apricots, figs, plums.

My weight-loss has not stalled since surgery this past August. Eight months out and going strong!

My surgeon does not allow fruit for a minimum of 3 months post op. He feels that you're trying to deplete your body of as much sugar as possible so it burns fat instead. It hasn't been that difficult to not have it accept find Greek yogurt flavors I like that aren't fruit.

Also for Protein I've been using musclegens GENEPRO powder. It's 30 grams of Protein in just a tablespoon of powder and 98 calories. I add it to 80 Greek yogurt and I have 42 grams of protein which makes me inly 1& grams away from my minimum requirement of 60 grams. It's totally tasteless. You can even get samples off their website $3.50 for 2! It's a great powder my nutritionist approved it.

Just be aware that our bodies can only absorb about 20g protein/hour. Anything more than that is simply turned to glucose. So by taking in that much Protein in a short period of time, you are defeating the whole "no fruit" concept. (Which I disagree with, anyways.... Depleting your body of nutrients just to accelerate weight loss doesn't seem responsible or healthy). If you are burning more calories than you are taking in, your body will burn fat for fuel whether you are eating fruit or not. My Protein smoothies are usually 30-40g protein, but I drink them over at least 2 hours in order to get the benefit of all the protein.

And the GENEPRO throws a whole other wrench into knowing just how much protein you are really getting. I can find no published studies that actually confirm the absorption and utilization of this chemically modified molecule. Since your nut approves it, I would love to see any clinical trial results they may have read that actually supports the manufacturer's claims.

I have recently added fruit and veggies to my diet on a daily basis. I am almost 10 months out and 10 pounds from goal. I feel so much better eating the fruit and veggies, but that's just me. It has not stalled my weight loss at all. I just make sure that I get my daily Protein goals then add the fruit and veggies.