Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ladies over 50 - bypass

Hello everyone, I am 54 and 5 weeks post op. Down 31 pounds and feeling pretty good. Really love all the comments and support.

I'm 65 and 16 days post surgery down 46 since pre surgery liquid diet. I've been obese since childhood. I look forward to enjoying the rest of my life as a normal size person. I want to travel on a plane without buying 2 seats. I am anxious to get off a tour bus and actually walk and see places of interest. Life will keep getting better, for all of us.

Hi everyone. I'm 65 and 18 days post op. I'm looking forward to having a healthy rest of my life, with the ability to do things I haven't. I'm looking forward to buying one seat on a plane and not squeezing others out of theirs. I'm looking forward to taking a cruise and being able to get off the boat because I can walk down the pier without getting winded, and taking those sight seeing tours up front by getting off the bus. This is a bit off topic but it's ironic that while my gastric process is getting better, my cat's got worse. She went to visit her vet today because I could tell she wasn't acting right. The X-ray showed a blockage (probably hair) in her intestine and colon. The vet has her on saline to hydrate her and barium. I know pets can sympathize with their pet parents, but Misty is taking this to the extreme.

@@fuzzyfeline From one cat-lover to another (see my profile pic; she's one of four fabulous felines in our house, lol), I laughed out loud at your comments re Misty - it's true, lol

I am 50 and having surgery June 22. Been overweight all my life. Worried I will have complications from surgery. IE blood clot, stroke. Worried about not recovering easily, making stupid mistakes with my diet and gaining weight back again. As you can probably tell I am a worrier.

I turned 65 mid December and had bypass mid January. I've been down with a nasty upper respiratory infection for over 2 weeks and my energy level is nil and food isn't my friend right now. I'm down 67 pounds and have read all your posts. I still can't wrap my head around the thought that this will be the last time, that each pound off is off for good. I don't plan on backstepping, this is it for me.

We'll all get there it's just when you've yo-yo'd your entire life it's hard to realize that this isn't a phase it's a whole new lifestyle. It's sure fun to see clothes go in the bag for the thrift store and new piles of sizes pulled off the shelves, I knew there was a reason I just couldn't bring myself to throw them away. Stay with your plan, this will be the best decision you've ever made!

Hey, @@Sunshine_Gal, congratulations on your loss and I hope things continue to go well for you, and that the resp infx goes away soon. We've had 2 of those go through our house in the last 2 months, after having a relatively healthy winter.

I can't wait to be on the losers' bench with you!

@@fuzzyfeline how are you feeling since surgery? Your weight loss is amazing thus far. 16 days, does that mean you have moved from liquid diet to soft foods. How is that going.

I'm still mostly liquid or liquified. Today I moved on cottage cheese without blenderizing it first. Tonight I'm trying it with eggs. I'm working up to blenderizing tuna and chicken. There's no need to rush the food; let your stomach heal.

Hello all, so I started my pre op liquid diet yesterday and last night had horrible headache, head was hurting and throbbing. Finally fell asleep. Woke up today and still have headache but not as severe.

Did anyone experience this? I'm thinking my body is going through withdrawal. Hoping I don't have to deal with headaches for the entire 2 weeks.

I went through carb withdrawal. Energy crashed, head pounded. It gets better, but my energy level didn't return until about a month after surgery. Now I'm feeling as good as I did when I was 40! Can't wait until it gets even better...I'm over halfway to goal!

Hi ladies! So happy to see this thread for gals of our distinction. I'm 53 and had bypass surgery Tuesday, April 21st at 8:00 a.m. at mayo Hospital where I live in Jacksonville, FL. I was on the 2 week Optifast liquid pre-op diet, which I had fun with and loved. Let me know if you want any tips in making it easier and most importantly tastier!

My surgeon was quite pleased with my 15 lb. weight loss. I was so excited about my surgery that I was cracking jokes and having fun with everyone as they prepped me for surgery. I didn't have a worry in the world. My surgeon told me that because I'd done so well on the pre-op diet, my surgery only took 2 hours instead of 2 1/2 hours as he'd previously planned. Once I arrived in my large plush room, my husband, son and parents were there to greet me. I was trying my hardest to converse with them but all I wanted to do was sleep thanks to the anesthesia. The three guys went and visited on the couch/bed and my mom sat in the recliner and we talked a bit. I finally convinced them all to go home and I'd call them later.

Once I woke from my drug induced nap, I woke and honestly I barely had any pain. I was walking by late afternoon and that was great. I never had much gas in the way of burping or tooting as many have. I was told by my surgeon that the CO2 they pump our abdomens with is dissipated through our blood. That's why it's so important to walk, walk, walk because it gets our blood flowing. I also had the pressure cuffs on my legs the whole time I was there. When asked by my nurse what my pain level was on a scale of 1-10, mine was never higher than a 2. She'd inject a lil something in my IV and all was good.

That story changed that first night when the nurse's aid came in to "strip" my drain. My drain had been emptied throughout the day and it was no problem. When he stripped it I thought I was going to come off the bed. It felt like someone was literally pulling my artery out of my left collar bone and I thought I was going to die. I have a very high tolerance for pain and I was crying like a baby. It even left me sore. The next morning when the nurse did it, it hurt again, but at least not for as long. When my surgeon came to visit I asked him why it hurt so darned bad and he said because the drain loops up underneath the diaphram. Anyways, I was glad when he pulled it out!

I passed my swallow test and then my blenderized meal that afternoon so I was discharged the day after surgery around 6 p.m. They sent me home with a prescription for percocet and some nausea med. We filled them and I was glad to be home. I took a pain pill at bedtime, two the next day and then I was finished with them.

I've been totally pain free since Saturday and my incisions look amazing. They were sewn shut from the inside and then glued on the outside and most of the glue has already faded away. I've been able to get my 60 grams of Protein in every day with no problem at all. I drink 2 Premier Protein shakes (30g each) per day and 2 - 4 oz. servings of Campbells cream of chicken Soup (1 can + enough Water to make 16 oz. in my Nutribullet). I have a chronic nerve condition so I'm mixing meds 3 times per day with applesauce, so that adds about a 1/4 cup to my daily caloric intake. My typical day so far is: 474 calories, 62g Protein, 17 fat, 26 carbs, 7 sugar, 10 Fiber.

I'm on this pourable liquid diet for 1 week, week 2 thick pourable shakes, yogurt, etc. and then week 3 is mechanically altered foods: small distinct pieces of tender and easily chewed food low in fat and sugar. meat must be ground or flaked. Then there are stages 4 & 5. Mayo is very thorough with their protocol. I know to always lead with protein and my goal is to get my 60g's every day!

I went to lunch with my girlfriends yesterday and took a little cooler with my Protein shake in it. When the waitress asked what I'd be having for lunch I said "A pretty glass with a couple of cubes of ice please". She brought me just that and I enjoyed time with my friends. We also went to Starbucks later and I enjoyed another 4 oz. of my Protein Shake.

I'm full of energy and already feel this lifelong decision I've made is the BEST one I've ever made!!! I wish the best of luck to all my fellow April buddies and for those who've yet to have surgery, you are going to be so happy :)

Edited by beachgal2935

So nice to hear all the positive comments from everyone regarding their pre / post op experiences. You are all helping me so much. Today is 8th day of my pre op diet. So far so good. The headaches went away and really not feeling too hungry.

Beachgal2935......

Thanks for sharing. And congrats on your 67 pounds. Amazing. It's the encouragement on this thread that is keeping me going.

I had bypass yesterday. My goodness the pain. ????. Feeling like I made a huge mistake. A bit depressed at the moment. I know it will pass.