Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I Start Juicing or Have Gastric Sleeve Surgery?

So my mother and I had some concerns about the surgery but I have done so much research my head is starting to hurt. My mother suggested maybe I could try juicing to lose weight. I don't know if juicing will work. I don't know if the surgery will work. I just need something that will take this weight off for good. Can someone offer some advice? I know juicing is the new weight loss fad but I wonder if it really can work for me, I really struggle with will power.

What, are you just going to drink juice (which is full of sugar, and doesn't have the benefits of the whole fruits) for the rest of your life?

Doing some fad diet isn't going to teach you how to eat properly and maintain a healthy weight for the rest of your life.

I am a big fan of raw juicing. That being said, I have never lost ANY weight doing raw juicing. I am ten months post op having the gastric sleeve and it had changed my life. I am down 119 pounds and only 12 from my goal weight.

Also, I quit raw juicing while I was trying to lose the biggest portion of my weight because I did not want the extra calories and carbs. I just started implementing raw juice back into my diet. I log all my food so I am careful to juice foods low in carbs and count my juice intake into my daily allowances.

I know a lot of people are against the raw juicing because of the Fiber lost because you do not get all the pulp. I save all my pulp and add it to Soups, smoothies, muffins, Protein pancakes, etc.

It is good that you are researching your options so you can do what is best for yourself. Also, if you want to try and lose the weight on your own that is also an option. All I can do is speak from my own experience and say that I wish I had done my gastric sleeve sooner. It has been an amazing adventure and I love how great I feel. Good luck in your decision. There is a lot of helpful information on this forum.

Juicing robs you of the natural fibers in fruits and veggies, but I do like glittereyes' suggestion about using the pulp in other foods. Sounds like you have done your research. Let Mom juice all she wants. I am guessing she does not have a BMI of 61,4, which means (like I was) you are probably as round as you are tall. It took a stroke to convince me that I did not have time for any more fad diets. I had been on one diet or another since 1978 and gained another fifty pounds. Read the threads on THE LAST STRAW. It will open your eyes as to all of the reasons why the rest of us just could not take the consequences of obesity anymore. Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck and good health.

I really doubt you or anyone else can juice themselves to less than half their starting BMI. Honestly, the topic of this post really alarmed me. It sounded like the only two choices you are allowing yourself are some fad quick fix diet and a surgery that removes 80% of your stomach for the rest of your life. Talk about about opposite ends of the spectrum!

It sounds like you've done your research and you know what you need to do. Don't let others in your life influence your decision. This is a choice you need to make for yourself and you need to be 100% confident in that choice.

If I could have figured out how to lose the massive amount of weight , I would have done it by now. I needed help that would not fail. Now, it is a major life decision and has to be made inside the person considering it. If you are not yet ready, try the juicing route. Your decision, no one else's. Godspeed on your journey.

You can always try juicing first but nothing is going to be a quick fix. The bottom line is eating healthy, tracking caloric intake, and move your body in some way chair dance, walk, run, gym, swim whatever it is you enjoy just get moving. I juiced for a weekend for a reboot. I have been using my fitness pal app religiously to log everything. I am down 56 pounds pre op. I started my liquid diet Monday and getting sleeved on 4/20. This is just a tool to assist but you have to commit to a new healthier lifestyle that works for you. It's not easy and it won't be overnight but when you lose weight hopefully this process will deter you from ever putting it back on. Good luck in your journey.

If juicing were the miracle solution to permanent weight loss, then the gastric sleeve would not exist. :)

I loved juicing, but cleanup is a huge chore. I'm not a big fan of scrubbing the fibers from fruits and veggies from the machine every time I wanted to juice, but there are nice machines out there that make the job a little easier (the Hurom slow juicer, for example). Keep us posted!

XO

Ms. A