Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I going through STARVATION MODE?!

@@LipstickLady I came here for advice to see if anyone has gone through this but now it's like your annoyed and blowing me off because I asked a valid question?

My best Protein friendly food was making Frozen popcycles

out of the nectar fruit flavors: chocolate truffle, fuzzy navel,

Grape with light grape juice. The crunch made me feel like I was

actually "eating". Much better than Jello!

Good luck and contact me anytime!

Linda

LindaWilliams_51@msn.com

Creating new good habits is also key to successful weight loss, and a healthy new lifestyle. A couple of Protein drinks at this stage doesn't equate to overeating.

I understand that this lack of hunger is a temporary stage in your progression to solid foods... but the Protein is a necessary nutrient. If you aren't losing any weight, working towards surgeons recommended amounts of protein (and fluids) might kick start the weight loss back up. It will definitely help prevent malnutrition and muscle loss.

@@LipstickLady I came here for advice to see if anyone has gone through this but now it's like your annoyed and blowing me off because I asked a valid question?

Not annoyed or blowing you off. I answered you several times.

You are given Protein goals to help heal your body and help you lose effectively. If you think it's best to do otherwise for whatever reason, that's your personal decision. Repeating myself for a fourth or fifth time makes little sense, don't you agree? :)

@@LipstickLady I asked you about listening to our sleeves not about Protein. You chose to repeat yourself over and over.

Thank you @@liannatx !

I was told that I didn't have to eat when I wasn't hungry AS LONG AS I got in my 64 ounces of Fluid, 70 grams of Protein a day, and required vitamins/supplements. Starvation mode may be a myth because I lost 100 pounds in five months while eating a daily total of 500-600 calories a day. However, my weight loss slowed way down during month 6 and eventually picked back up once I increased my daily calorie intake.

I was also one of those people that didn't have much of an appetite early on after surgery. After a few months post op, I started to go through different phases that consisted of days when I felt no hunger to days when I continually felt hungry. I've also just recently started to crave sugar again.

Chances are your appetite will return, but it is most important to follow the post op plan set by your surgeon/bariatrician at this time. Like others have mentioned, your lack of weight loss may be due to not getting enough liquids and Protein in everyday. It is vitally important at your phase to meet that requirement to promote healing and ward off dehydration. I did liquids for a full month after surgery. Sure, I crazy hell wanted to chew on something, but sometimes you just have to suck it up and do it to get the desired outcome.

@@x0CheekzVSG

The surgeons and NUTS don't give you Protein goals just for shits and giggles. There's a reason. At a week out, you are not at the point of worrying about what you sleeve wants and doesn't want. Your sleeve is still healing, so you won't have any kind of normal feelings of hungry or not hungry. At first it's all about HEALING, and you need Protein and Fluid to heal. All that other stuff you are talking about comes way later down the road. Just do your best to meet your liquid and protein goals right now.

I suggest when you ask for advice in the future, you actually listen to it instead of getting short with people? We are just here to help....

Edited by Babbs

It's not unusual to go through a period of no appetite and for many of us that full liquid stage isn't much of an incentive to eat or drink. Our tummy's are still healing and the interest just may not be there.

However, you need Protein to heal. You need fluids to prevent dehydration. The Vitamins and supplements we take can do but so much. Unless you have some other complications that prevent you you from drinking, you need to push through this period. I too was given the minimum goal of 60gm protein/64 ounces Fluid. It took me a few weeks to work up to that and I assure you that by week 2 of full liquids I wanted to throw them all out the window. Now is not the time to try and listen you your body. Yes you need to work on getting more Protein and fluids in. If you are still unsure, call your nutritionist and tell her how you are feeling and what you are eating/drinking. I'm sure she will tell you to try and get more in as well.

At a week out, you really aren't going to be hungry. What I did was sip, sip, sip.. It took me all day to drink a full Protein shake.. I had half in the morning, half in the afternoon.. in between that I had Water, Water, water. At night I had Jello, or broth, or Soup.

Your new stomach is still irritated and swollen, so no, you probably won't feel hunger, and if you keep sipping all day, you wont' either. You did mention you felt hungry, then said you didn't have head hunger.. and weren't hungry. At this point, you can't "listen" to your hunger cues, because you probably won't have them. I think it will be awhile till you can do that.. I made the mistake early of going to long in between meal times and had some dizziness and lightheadedness.

Some of these ladies have been around the block awhile, its best to pay attention to what they are telling you..

Edited by Chrystee

I would be also concerned with the fact that you aren't having a BM. Call your doctors office.

I would be also concerned with the fact that you aren't having a BM. Call your doctors office.

If someone is eating maybe one Italian ice a day (no nutritional value) and half a shake a day (all liquid), what exactly would they have to poop out? :)

Serious question.

If she is really only drinking clear liquid and only half a Protein shake a day then there isn't much to be processed as a BM. I don't think I had anything beyond a tiny squirt until I got to pureed food. It won't hurt to call her doctor's office but not surprising either.

I second what everybody else is telling you. Clear liquid stages and full liquid stages your stomach isn't going to tell you much of anything useful. You need to get plenty of liquids and more Protein to heal. I was having elevated heart rate occassionally due to dehydration.

I personally prefer Matrix and Nectars Protein shakes to Premier. I don't find them as thick or sweet. I sleeved 2/2/2015 and stll drink one each morning. This way I am guaranteed half my protein needs per day. It makes it much easier to get in my protein that way. The pre-made are more convenient but I just make mine and one for DH the night before. I leave for work at 6 am.

Early on in your sleeve journey you may need to eat when you are not hungry just to make sure you get your protein in. You will need to listen to not eat too much at a time. I drink a shake and then eat 4-5 small meals per day. If I waited until I was hungry I would eat maybe 2 meals other than the shake. I just cannot eat enough at once to get my remaining 31 grams of protein.

@x0CheekzVSG

@@BLERDgirl, @@WL WARRIOR, and @@Babbs all made very valid statements about our need for Protein and fluids, healing, etc., and I agree with them.

There is a lot of great encouragement and support on this site, along with some great suggestions; however, bottom line - you should be doing exactly as your surgeon and NUT have recommended you to do.

Based on my understanding and research, the portion of our stomachs that was removed is where the grehlin was produced and which is what makes us feel "hungry." Therefore, you probably won't feel true physical hunger for awhile which is normal; at least it was for me. I was probably at least 2 months out before I actually said to my husband "I'm hungry." During that time I still drank my Protein shakes and ate what I could and drank liquids as much as possible. Like many others, it took me awhile to reach my protein and liquids daily goal; some days I still have trouble getting enough liquids in, but I keep pushing forward.

As for the BM issue, it will be very different from your pre-op days. Because we're consuming so much more protein than we are of Fiber early on, there isn't going to be a lot to process through. That said, I agree with checking in with your surgeon's office. It could be you need to add a little Fiber (i.e. Benefiber) to your shakes to get things moving along. I still have to do that occasionally because once I've eaten my protein, there is rarely any room for veggies and/or fruit during the day.

You are still in the very early stages of your post-op journey. I wish you the best of success in your journey. Be patient and do what your surgeon and NUT have recommended for you. Different surgeons and NUTS have different plans so not all of us get the same instructions, although our instructions are pretty close a lot of the time.

@@Babbs

First of all I do not appreciate you coming up here leaving your advice trying to do called "check me" I was never once short with anyone so get that right ! I listened to everyone's advice and even asked questions so I made sure I got it right... Or did I not? Idk if LipstickLady is your friend or w.e so you feel the need to go to bat for her but as you see she was the one being short and stank with me!

I appreciate everyone's advice that I liked! Thank you!

And to all others reading this if you are a know it all and think you are trying to tell me something without giving me friendly advice and wants to be rude then keep it moving ! I would never do that to someone its not very nice! At the end of the day you are not a professional and all you can offer is advice! And that's all I ever asked for