Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Appointment tomorrow!

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow after having all Fluid drained from my band last October. I'm hoping the results of my upper GI yesterday say that I can have Fluid added back! I've gained 40 pounds after a successful 137 pound weightloss previously.

Prayers needed, please!

Well, I have only gained 35 pounds according to my doc. Our interaction became very heated. He told me I need psychiatric help to work through my eating disorder and that a fill won't help me. He kept saying I had gained a MASSIVE amount of weight. He was quite factual but used absolutely no softening words to speak to me. As I sobbed, I told him he was berating me. It was then that he became noticeably irritated. He said that I was rude for saying that to him and he would "release" (fire) me as a patient if I kept speaking to HIM that way. He told me he was gonna leave the room to see another patient so that I could think about what I'd said. Like a scolded child. I then sat and cried and decided I needed to suck up my tears because I came to him for a fill and I wasn't leaving until I got one. Even though he'd already said a fill would do me no good at this point because I was obviously just eating terrible foods and being lazy, I beg to differ. Can we all just take the time to talk about how he removed my Fluid 6 months ago due to complications, I found out I was pregnant and then miscarried. I have gained 35 pounds but it's extremely emotional to experience a miscarriage. The session ended with him adding fluid and telling me since I had a Tummy Tuck that if I gain weight, I'm gonna look like I swallowed a basketball and I'd look silly. Very last words before he left the room. Now I'm supposed to have a follow up in two weeks. Am I crazy? This dude is an a*****e, right? Are any of your doctors like this?

Edited by sbrick

Change. Doctors. Immediately.

Bottom line, no one deserves to be spoken to like that! You handled it better than I would've and because you did you went in for what you needed and left with what you needed so now you can move on and find a new Dr. that actually cares about their patients and wants them to succeed! It's that kind of support that will help you get back to where you want to be.

I wrote a post my iPad deleted so I'm trying again but it will be brief. As above, get a new doctor. You have gone through a lot and are back on track but you need a partner in this process. You are in charge of your body and you know what you need. Only you will know what the green zone is for you and whether you're there or whether you need therapy, etc. On this last one, I am some one who benefited from seeing a counselor during the process of choosing a lapband and getting through the initial phases. I needed some one to help me sort through my issues around food and also provide a sounding board for any concerns I had. My surgeon's office was not the place for that. But of course every place is different, every doctor is different. So sorry this visit back there went south but now you know you need another avenue. We are in the boonies here but recently I saw a different LB doctor because mine wasn't available. I always liked my surgeon alright but this other guy, I really like him. It's good to mix it up so maybe this jerk actually did you a big favor. Keep in touch, keep us posted -- you are on your way. Choose yourself, choose YOU and your healthy future.

I have already requested my medical files from my doc's office and have set up an appointment at another surgeon's office in two weeks to be a transfer patient. I'm going to move on from that awful, awful experience this morning! Thank you all for your kind words!

Started to write a response, then deleted it....

Patients have the right to choose any Dr. they want, and Dr.'s have the same types of rights....and can refuse treatment if they feel the patient is non compliant.

I am in no way saying this is you, have no information to comment one way or the other. You are a total stranger.

It's just that I deal with this all the time, and the people I work with.....the term (code) is "High Maintenance"

So when I read this post, and some others like it, it strikes a nerve and the flags go up....and I have to chuckle...

I really do need to write a book because no one will believe some of the stories I can tell....

So if you feel you are not getting the proper treatment, by all means find another Dr.

I'm sure your present Dr. can give you some names of those in the same specialty....

Good Luck to you, I sincerely hope you find it.

The only bright side is that you know what NOT to look for in a physician. Make sure you tell everyone how much of a tool he is.

I went to my new doc yesterday and it made me feel very renewed. Sometimes you just don't click with people. Whether that's your doctor, boss, coworkers, relatives, etc. I may have been extremely high maintenance to my former doctor, who knows. My patient file reads that he saw me as doing great until this past visit. All in all, he wasn't encouraging or friendly to me in any of the visits I've had with him (and I'd been seeing him for 5 years). His nurses were very encouraging and friendly, and honestly, that's why I kept coming.

Water under the bridge now, I suppose! I have a list of support group meetings I can attend and I've already set up an appointment with their dietician for two weeks. I am already feeling more positivity about my band and that's all I really wanted. Thanks for your input and support, guys! I appreciate all opinions.