Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Full liquid diet and pain

I am 3 days post op and still in the hospital. They just switched me to full liquid and proceeded to bring me the most disgusting stuff I have ever smelled/tasted. All I can do is drink the high Protein shake. What Soups did you all find to taste the best?

Also, I am still have a lot of pain. I haven't passed any gas and walk all the time. It's like nothing is working right down stairs. I just started peeing on my own which is extremely difficult. Whenever I try and roll out of the bed I feel my incisions screaming in pain. I feel like a failure ????

Just take it a day at a time. I had my bypass 13 days ago. I was just out walking and thought to myself, "Oh my gosh, I almost feel completely back to normal". Up until now, everything hurt and I was utterly exhausted. Each day you will feel just a little better and before you know it, you will be back to feeling like yourself.

Don't worry, while I was in the hospital I thought I was gonna die. My bladder was slow to start and didn't pass gas till I got home. But it does get better. I'm 14 days out ;-)

Miss Utah; why are you being so hard on yourself!! The experience is different for each person. It's just been DAYS; after MAJOR SURGERY! Give yourself a break. As far as soup; the stuff in the hospital is usually low salt and HORRIBLE. When you get home, try any broth but one with salt in it! Hang in there.

I just had my surgery a little over 2 weeks ago now. I was in excruciating pain upon waking up, where they gave me a PCA pump that gave me 1ml of morphine mixed in saline every 3 minutes when I hit the button. It wasn't until I started making a commotion that they called the doctor. Have they been giving you medication via PCA pump and if so, do they also have a dose of medicine for the pain that is used for breakthrough? When it came to bladder control, I had the catheter in for about 2 days, and even had to go through a bladder scan because I was on normal saline with the bags being changed every 6 hours, but they also hit me with 4 boluses of saline, the volume I cannot remember but it was up there, and each bolus was administered in 1 hour intervals. The colon and bladder are late to start up due to the sheer amount of drugs they hit you with.

If possible, try and walk once they give you something for pain breakthrough, and if you are going to raise the head of the bed or sit up to the side of the bed, hold a pillow firmly on your abdomen. The added pressure and cushion of the pillow is a huge relief.

So they figured out the source of my pain. My lower or "bypassed" stomach was full and hadn't released anything so they needed to get it out or risk perforation. Well all that sounds fine and dandy except I had just drank my lunch shake and couldn't go under sedation. I am then told I can get a cocktail that will take me to la la land where nothing matters. Apparently, that crap doesn't work on me and after begging the doctor to stop then screaming the entire time as he shoved a metal twin down my abdomen to my stomach. I was hyperventilating and feeling very violated. Could have killed anyone to take a min and get me a drug that worked? I was sick afterwards and needed to be calmed down. But I definitely don't feel safe here anymore and want to go home.

It took me a few days before I was able to pass gas don't stress it will come keep walking and it will help for it to happen The broth at the hospital was the worst I tasted ever the one my mom made one it was so much more delicious!

Can you give me some recipe ideas? I know I can blend some stuff but I want to vomit ????

I'm in Utah also. Had my by-pass done by Dr. Simper at St. Marks. I am 4 days out. Came home after one night. Am 62 yeas old. I am sorry for your pain, trauma and frustration. What part do you have control over? I am wondering if you are a victim or volunteer? Don't let anyone else decide that for you. Learn to be positive. It is your only option. The more negativity you let in the less resistance you have to the pain. It is good they figured out the problem. What else is going well. Make lists of the good. Connect with those taking care of you. Let them know you are grateful. As you give to them you will receive so much in return. I loved all my peeps who helped me through this big experience. Get happy or to relieve your own suffering. Victim of volunteer? You choose.

To MAGIC MOJO: WOW! Good for you and thank you for sharing those sage words!! I bet you're one heck of a person!!! What's your occupation?

it will happen trust me, i was so so worried that i would never have a BM that i made myself anxious.