Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling doomed, the $ in RNY pills/protein budget unknown. HELP!

Hi all!

I'm going in on the 4/9 to set my date for revision to RNY.

There may not be a surgery, after all this work, if I can't resolve the financial issues around it.

Protein. How many tubs will I need to buy in the medium run? And what could be the cost. I'm thinking powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury (get my samples tomorrow).

The pre-op Vitamins, calcium citrate and chewable multi are expensive when added to the script list I'm on already.

WHAT FINANCIAL OBLIGATION TO pills AND PROTEIN AM I LOOKING AT??!! I'm frightened that I'll be putting the surgery off forever, not knowing my RNY related budget.

Can you help me? I'm feeling very frightened and doomed, and I don't want to feel this way if I don't need to. Just need to realistically know the budget.

I was only on Protein for the first two weeks, it was expensive ($55) my son used what was left over. My surgeon doesn't want his patients drinking calories and says you get better protein from solid food. You will have to see what your doctor says. I get my Vitamins from Batiatric advantage, but you don't have to. They are about $36 a month and I also get calcium chews from them, they cost about $32 for 45 days. There are less expensive alternatives out there, but these worked for me. My nutritionist actually recommended Flintstones vitamins, which are fairly inexpensive. And don't forget about the money you will be saving on food, the volume you eat will be at least 1/3 to 1/2 of what you are before. Good luck!

Thank you SO, SO much for replying! Now that was post-op, the $55.00? What about pre-op?

I can see my surgeon feeling the same way about drinking calories. He's very fussy and particular. So you get $36.00+calcium chews (which were $17.00 at my store), so that's $53.00 for a bit over a month. I'm on Flintstones, $7.00. That's $60.00. A month. But a bit more because I don't know about Protein pre and post op. Thanks for reminding me about the savings on food, I didn't think of that. I wonder exactly how much money is saved by eating less? I know it's not written in stone science, but you helped me figure some things out. You're a sweetheart for replying to me, you're the only one! I hope your path has been good to you so far. ????.

There's a insurance paid monthly Vitamin service. If your insurance covers it is 25.00 a mo which includes multi /calcium/iron and a nasal B vitamin. I'll get you the name and post it. It's still cheaper than what you pay at the store for all of those otc

Hi there, you mentioned you were on a lot of prescriptions already. Depending on what those are for you may be off of a lot of them either right after or shortly after surgery. The list of my prescriptions was very very long pre surgery. Now I take two prescriptions, that is all!

I was able to get off of all reflux/heart burn medication, cholesterol medication, high blood pressure medication, diabetes medication and even one of my two Migraine prevention medications. I am actually ahead now in terms of costs as it relates to prescriptions. I buy my Vitamins from costco for the most part and on some I wait for the buy one get one deals at Walgreens.

I do the same with my Protein drinks which are ready made. They are called Premier Protein and you can get them at costco 2 cases for the price of 1. You just have to watch for them to go on sale and then stock up.

Also my food bill went down drastically so it all evens out in the end. Take a deep breath and try to to let anxiety get the best of you.

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey!

Hi there, you mentioned you were on a lot of prescriptions already. Depending on what those are for you may be off of a lot of them either right after or shortly after surgery. The list of my prescriptions was very very long pre surgery. Now I take two prescriptions, that is all!

I was able to get off of all reflux/heart burn medication, cholesterol medication, high blood pressure medication, diabetes medication and even one of my two Migraine prevention medications. I am actually ahead now in terms of costs as it relates to prescriptions. I buy my Vitamins from costco for the most part and on some I wait for the buy one get one deals at Walgreens.

I do the same with my Protein drinks which are ready made. They are called Premier Protein and you can get them at costco 2 cases for the price of 1. You just have to watch for them to go on sale and then stock up.

Also my food bill went down drastically so it all evens out in the end. Take a deep breath and try to to let anxiety get the best of you.

Good luck and keep us posted on your journey!

I'm gonna have to check out Costco. Premier is the only one my new tummy will keep on it one way or the other. Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't use any Protein pre-op, or Vitamins. Just a 3 day liquid diet (no protein).

I bought a bunch of $4 off Premier Protein coupons online for a couple dollars and have been buying stores' whole stocks when they are also on sale. Gets them down to well under a dollar per shake, sometimes less. I'm not a big couponer (no patience), bit this was super easy and it took the stress out of trying to switch to a cheaper Protein.< /p>

My helpful hint: Try not to stock up on Protein Shakes before surgery. Prior to my surgery I stocked up on lots of Unjury Protein Shake mixes, but have hardly used them. However, finding a good unflavored Protein Powder is essential. As for the flavored Protein Drinks, I found the Premier Protein works better for me as they are already mixed and ready to go. Also, the amount of money I have saved on food is unbelievable! A can of lentil Soup (lasts for 2-3 meals), pouches of tuna, cottage cheese and ground turkey are my mainstays as of week 3 and those are cheap! At least cheaper than my oversized portions (or double portions) of food prior to surgery. I bought 4 oz. ziplock containers and use those for my lunches or meals on the go.

Hey the name of the Vitamin provider I use is ProCare the number is 8558281488. Tell them you got the number from a customer. I believe everyones co pay is different but mine was 25.00.

Edited by kyrickchick64

I second the 'you'll save a lot of $$ on food" comments -- I'm about 10 weeks post-op bypass and I eat so little -- a container of cherry tomatoes, for one small example, lasts for several meals. I was recently "approved" for raw veggies/salads, so hightailed w/hubby to my favorite salad restaurant, Paradise Bakery. A half-salad lasted me three meals! Prior to surgery, it would have been a whole salad = one meal. It's hard to quantify, but the savings on food, both at home and eating out, is phenomenal.

There's a insurance paid monthly Vitamin service. If your insurance covers it is 25.00 a mo which includes multi /calcium/iron and a nasal B vitamin. I'll get you the name and post it. It's still cheaper than what you pay at the store for all of those otc

---- Do you know the name of the insurance? I'm on Medicare.

It's Procare... The number is 2 posts above under my name