Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention scale users! A new challenge.

I see so many posts on here from people stressing over the numbers on the scale...."I'm stalled", "I'm a failure" , "what am I doing wrong?" "How much did everyone lose at X months out?" "Disappointed" "only down X number of pounds" etc etc. Seems like a lot of unnessecary, made up unhappiness over a stupid number. The scale has become the transfer addiction for so many.

So for those of you obsessing over, and making yourself unhappy because of what the scale says, I challenge you to STAY OFF THE SCALE FOR A MONTH! Check in on this thread once/week, just like the other CHALLENGES on this forum, but instead of a number, report your latest NSV.'s Whether it's an improvement in your health, a drop in Meds, a smaller clothing size, an activity you couldn't do before, a nice compliment, a new, healthy food choice, whatever. Tell us something that made you feel good about your decision to have WLS. Something that has nothing to do with the scale. After all, these are the things that matter.

At the end of the month, go ahead and weigh. Hopefully you can see how much easier this journey is when you Celebrate the NSVs rather than fretting over numbers.

I've had SO many NSV's in the last year, but since I just went on my first couple horseback rides of the season this last week I'll start there... I can hop up into the saddle without needing to find a stepping log or rock. And I LOVE the new saddle I had to buy last summer because my butt was way too small for my old saddle. And I had to tighten the thigh straps on my chaps at least 3 inches for them to fit.

Comon...let's hear what made your week!

Oh yeah, and this isn't meant to be just an NSV thread, it's meant to be a stay off the scale and celebrate your NSVs thread.....No weighing for a month!!!!

I completely agree - Those first few months are hard enough without the added pressure of that stupid scale. I drove myself crazy, crying as I stood on the scale because I didn't lose a fraction of a pound. I gave all the power to the scale.

My husband hid the scale from me - he brought it out once per week. This saved my sanity.

I would also suggest taking measurements - I lost 7 inches without losing a pound during one "stall". Also, take pictures. I took a few pictures with the same shirt - even though I wasn't losing pounds, I could see the shirt get looser and looser. You can also see the physical changes - I love going thru my picture journal.

Great topic @@Kindle!!!!!!

I only weigh myself about once a month and have been doing this since the beginning.

I realized the other day that I have not had a headache in the last 8-9 months. This is significant because I had frequent headaches, bad headaches! I'm sure it's a combination of everything, diet, exercise, no sugar, no caffeine.

The other plus is that if you weigh less frequently you usually have a bigger loss!!

I agree, stay off the scale!!!

A picture journal is a great idea! My sister had met me in TJ for my surgery but we live in different states and didn't see each other again until I was 10 months postop. She kept asking for pictures to see my progress and I'm so glad she did! Looking back at those pictures have been very motivational for me.

Awesome post kindle! I will be a year out from surgery on April 16th. My biggest regret over the past year is that I focused too much on what the scale reported versus how my body look or more importantly, downplayed the things my body now allows me to do that I couldn't do before! I didn't exercise much this past year because I noticed every time I did, my weight loss would slow down on the scale. I'm now paying the price as I think I've lost a lot of muscle mass the past year. I'm now focused on toning and that may just add some weight on the scale and I'm okay with that. My goal is to look good naked at this point!

I agree that the endless posts about stalls on this site do become kind of annoying to read. They happen people!!! It's part of the process! I think all of us come in to this process with such a huge fear that we will fail like we have so many times before and then it becomes an obsession. The weight WILL come off! Just follow your doctor's plan. Heck, rebel a bit and the weight will still come off! So here are some of my NSV this week: 1) I continue to steal clothes out of my teenage daughter's closet daily (size 6/8) AND she has now started stealing my clothes. If anyone knows how picky teenagers are, this a huge compliment! 2) I wore my daughter's size 6 lululemon leggings to jog and considered NOT covering my a** for the first time ever because it looked kinda hot for a middle aged woman (lol, I crack myself up but I will post a picture below to prove I have no shame! ????) 3) I ran farther than I ever did before and actually enjoyed it!

post-203485-14281647440638_thumb.jpg

How about this? Pulling up the car seat so much that my 185lb husband has to push it back just to get in!!! Or, having to re-lace up all my lace-up shoes because my FAT FEET are no longer FAT!!! Or being able to slide between the cars in the garage WITHOUT getting a dirty a** in the process!!! Minor things, yes, but it is AWESOME that I can now do those things!

GREAT POST!

One of my favorite NSV thus far at only a few weeks out is that I can sit in the recliner and my 2 yo can sit next to me! Usually I would just have to hold him (and obviously I love to do!) but he climbed up right next to me and we both fit. I almost cried! :)

Also, all my clothes that I have t worn in 2 years before I had by son now fit! It was fun going through all my clothes and trying some things on. Some were too small still but that's okay, I will get there! Then I will get to buy more!

Kindle: thanks for this thread! I do not currently own a scale, just weighing in at the doctors when I go. I was one month out yesterday, and I have been amazed this last week at how much I can function normally without being out of breath and sweaty at work( I teach at a LARGE high school). I have a long way to go, but feeling normal within my work environment is a great feeling. BTW, I have more than 200 pounds still to lose, so looking forward to lots of NSVs to come!

I complained about a stall last week. I'm not at 3 weeks yet so I was panicky. Sorry if that annoyed some veterans on here.

NSV....went "clothes shopping" in my closet today...3 hours later I have 76 pieces of clothing to bring to the clothing exchange my weight loss center is holding in 2 weeks! Stuff that is in very good shape and I am really hoping other people will enjoy (tough to let go of some of those things!)

I also have 4 "new" pairs of pants that are 2 sizes down from where I began and a TON of new tops.

I am a bit of a shopaholic and have purchased many, many things that will "fit me someday"....well, someday is here!!

They may not last me for long (hopefully they won't) but I feel good about how I will look tomorrow.

That's not a frequent thing so it feels even better!

Thank you so much for this..i do get caught up in the numbers and not enough on the NSVs. I have gotten in smaller cloths, I can do more activities that I couldn't do before and I have tons of energy. You never no how limited you are till you loss that weight.

I am on a 3 week stall right now and am trying to stay positive. This last weekend while working out, my work out pants fell down...my husband thought it was funny. After a bit I had to smile too.

@@Mason88

Sounds like it's time for a TAPE-MEASURE INTERVENTION!!! If you haven't done this yet, start now! Start taking measurements when you have a stall, so you can see the progress. The tape measure will tell what the scales won't....SUCCESS!!! Good luck to you!

I'm 4 weeks post-op today! I have definitely become a slave to the scale. I try not to let it effect my attitude (I'm very happy with the results so far). I did take measurements and have seen the decrease in some areas and an increase (due to weights) in others.

I need to challenge myself to stop getting on the scale every morning.

Edited by OneDollarBill

Kindle, et al, you just saved me from certain insanity, regret, and depression! I've been exercising like a fiend and the scale is barely moving. It's driving me nuts. BUT my clothes are fitting better, I walk with my head held high, and I have lost 5" off my waist, 2" off my chest (damn it!), and 1" off my hips. (Those pesky hips!). I'm just over two months out. I seriously need to get over the scale numbers!

Ok, here's my NSV for the week.... I decided to start riding my recumbent bike again (I hate exercise). I picked up right where I left off 9 months ago - same program, distance, pace, etc. My peak HR back then was 130-135. Now it is only 110-115. And along those same lines, before surgery, my BP had crept up to 132/95. Last visit to my PCP it was 106/68. My ❤️ loves my sleeve!

By the way, welcome everyone to the no scale challenge! Keep those NSVs coming.