Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric bypass over Sleeve

This has probably been brought up so I apologize in advance, but have any of you or are any of you having bypass over the Sleeve.

My story - Had sleeve done on Dec 21 12'. Got pregnant in March of 14'. Had high risk pregnancy and put on strict bed rest. Gained 40 lbs. during pregnancy. Had lost almost 100 pre pregnancy. I have about 23 lbs to lose still and they just wont come off. I was doing so well with the Sleeve until I was put on mandatory bed rest. I tried to kick sleeve back into gear, but failed. I spoke with my surgery center, and they said my insurance would cover bypass.

When I did all of my research I only researched the sleeve. I've heard good and bad stories about Gastric Bypass, but none of my friends have had bypass over sleeve. My couple of friends that had bypass did it about 7 yrs ago. They look amazing, are active, healthy, and happy.

I know there are risks for complications and my surgical center has only performed 2 bypass's. They normally do Sleeve. Both of the bypass's they've performed have been successful with no complications. So I'm freaking out because I'm not sure if I want to go through this all again.

I want this to feel better about myself. I still have image issues, but not sure if it's worth the risks, and if I should just deal with the weight I am and be happy with it.

This might sound like I'm whining, I don't mean it too. Just looking to hear opinions, etc..

I had a RNY about 23 months ago and all is fine. One of the reasons why RNY is recommended over other procedures is that individuals with severe acid reflux (GERD) have difficulty with the sleeve. RNY surgery caused part of my stomach to be cut away and rerouted. As a result my body cannot automatically convert food into the Vitamins that my body needs. Therefore I need to take Vitamin supplements for the rest of my life. I suspect that mandatory bed rest (and the lack of exercise) will be detrimental to both RNY and sleeve patient recoveries (and weight loss).

I had the sleeve on Feb. 5th and I have been suffering every since. My stomach is inflamed and full of bile so now next week I am going in for the bypass ???? I hope all goes well with you if you choose to do the bypass

I was originally going to do the sleeve until I found out that my reflux would likely become worse. I was also sold on the bypass because of how long it's been done and the success rates with it. It seems to be the gold standard.

I would do what makes me happy and if your doctor is in support of this I would go for it, I had the option to have either one but I choose the bypass because it is the gold standard and there is almost more history on it, I also selected the RNY because I did not want to do a redo and take a chance of acid reflex because you do not know once your body changes and I was already suffering from heart burn when I eat certain food. You deserved to be happy and I would just do it. Congrats on your choice on being healthy and good luck.

Thank you guys for your words of wisdom. I really appreciate it. I have a 'first' appointment to start the bypass process in a couple weeks.

I personally would be concerned about having it done where they have only done it twice before. I asked my surgeon how many sleeves and rny's he'd done cuz I wanted someone with lots of experience and history. I also asked if any patients had died and how. He'd done a couple thousand rny's and not quite as many sleeves and had 2 deaths due to pulmonary embolisms that happened well after the surgery. I had my choice of sleeve or rny and I have no history of reflux. After 6 months of trying to decide, I choose rny for the same reasons listed by others (gold standard and long history of success) and I also wanted the stricter diet requirements (or risk dumping and/or nausea, vomiting, etc) to keep me in check as I know my past of giving into tempting, fattening foods.