Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sizes and more sizes!

So, being fairly ignorant about such stuff, here's a question for the ladies: I am 5'5", now at 179lbs, and CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME find things to fit. What to do? I am travelling in a month's time, and am stuck in that "in-between-world" (also known as never-never land) of plus sizes and misses sizes. I don't think I'll lose more than 5lbs in that month, as I am slowly losing at 1-2lbs per week. I really don't want to invest a lot of $$ right now, only to end up giving those clothes away. Any suggestions for clothing styles and brands that carry those styles would be much appreciated. The climate to where I am going is central Minnesota, where ANY weather can happen in May! Also, I am finding such inconsistencies amongst sizes and brands, and even within the same brand. VERY frustrating! SO please, tell me some of your favorite stores, brands, perhaps flexible sizes in said clothes, if you're of a mind.....and THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!!

I don't know what to tell you. I wore a size 20 for the last 80 pounds I gained but now down 83 pounds I'm wearing a size 16. But I still have some size 20s in the closet I could wear if I needed to. I try not to because it depresses me. Old navy has some cute stuff that's not too expensive. I looked into renting clothes but that was pricey. Also, you could try Plato's Closet if you have one nearby. They are gently used name brand items and you can resell back to them when you grow out of the stuff.

Look at these 3 places:

www.alloyapparel.com/

www.wetseal.com/

www.rosegal.com

Inexpensive, fast shipping, always a lot of size choices. You can always find a coupon code if you look for one.

Honestly, the shopping has been the biggest anxiety for my now. I got through the winter with a few pairs of jeans and a few sweaters but now that spring is here I need to get some new clothes. I still find myself shopping in the plus size department but the good news is those clothes simply don't fit anymore.

I did purchase a bunch of stuff from Old Navy (online) that are pretty cute. I wish I could afford a personal shopper or a stylist to replenish my wardrobe!!

Goodwill all the way.

thankfully my office allows me to war athletic stuff all the time so i wear mysports clothes, from work right to the gym and since its all elastic pants i get to wear them longer than normal. i only have one pair of black dresspants to wear out. and 1 semi dresy shirt , thats it lol but i LOVE IT.

Look at these 3 places:

www.alloyapparel.com/

www.wetseal.com/

www.rosegal.com

Inexpensive, fast shipping, always a lot of size choices. You can always find a coupon code if you look for one.

Will definitely be checking these out!

My 2 favorites are Boscov's (East Coast) and CJ Banks. Both have nicer clothes, however, their sales are excellent. At Boscov's I just spent $55 on 2 pairs of pants, 1 pr jeans, 3 shirts, and a sweater! They were on clearance and most were $6.99! CJ Banks also has some good sales. I am recommending these more for work type of wear. For everyday, KMart works!

i put this story on my blog but itts worth the quick retell. i was in Walmart buying underwear because heck mine were floating on me, so just for giggles i grabbed a black suit jacket off the rack, and said to my wife " im just curious" and the damn thing fit beautifully. I was absolutely stunned. not only did it fit, but its the first time in my life i have been able to fit into something like that off the rack not in a big and tall section and not without needing alterations, or being labelled portly or wide cut etc. i actually kinda teared up for a second. weird such a moment in a walmart lol.

Edited by Stevehud

Have you checked out Maurice's? Reasonable prices, carries similar styles in the regular and plus size sections, and clothes are cute!

@@Stevehud

I am impressed with your bravery for stepping into the ladies room, sir, it is truly NOT for the faint of heart! I, myself, have wandered where no female should go, the men's room (albeit unknowingly!), and found some very interesting discussions!

Seriously, I am touched by your account of your Walmart visit. It amazes me how such a thing as fitting into smaller sizes (that haven't been worn by us in who knows how long) can affect us, and at the same time I feel it is sad, for why should a size be our undoing? Maybe it is just that we (or maybe just me) need that number to be an affirmation of what we have achieved, and the difficulties/challenges with which we have gone through in search of that number....

But I digress... I hope you bought that jacket!

I think Catos has really cute stuff in both regular and plus sizes, and they are very affordable. I got 4 pairs of Capris at Sears for $11.99 a pair. If you have a Ross, they are worth digging through. Ross is hit and miss, but I when I was gaining I needed some larger sizes and found 4 really cute tops there for about 10 dollars each.

In my experience, dresses are easier to fit during transition over pants. Dresses are just more forgiving, and you can wear with thermal tights or jeggings or whatever to keep warm. If a dress fits your shoulder/bust the rest can drape very pretty. The reason I didn't wear dresses when I was obese is because pretty shoes just killed my feet. These days, boots, flats and many other shoe options are quite acceptable!

Choose styles with a flattering neckline, colors that make your face beatiful. When I first hit goal, I had so much extra skin that I was still learning to "manage" that dresses were my "go to" clothing.

Now, I love my skinny jeans and tops but those are much trickier to fit just right.

oh, Ross Dress for Less is my source for cheapo dresses too - it is a big day if I spend more than 15 bucks on a really cute dress there! You just need to try on a zillion of them and they do carry plus sizes. Don't get hung up on size - sometimes I need a large on top even though i am a healthy weight... oh well, the price you pay for boobs! :)

@CowgirlJane You definitely need to try stuff on at Ross, their sizes are so inconsistent!