Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not losing any more weight?

i am in the same boat. 10 months post, scale hasn't moved in almost 3 months. however, since january i have been taking two of the MOST stressful and difficult classes in my nurse practitioner program, and definitely stress eating. i can eat ALL foods, i have no restrictions from my program, and my body does ok with everything except really fatty things, which will dump ( i have had literally a TINY thumbnail size of cheesecake and it flew through me)!!

I am recognizing that first, i have been cheating, two, i have been eating my stress, three, i have wavered BIG TIME with my exercise, and lastly, i have lost focus. classes are wrapping up, i will be taking one minimally hard class during spring/summer. this is my chance to get back on the program, kick my exercise WAYYYY back up, start my food diary again, increase Water, etc. i am also thinking about meeting with my nut again to get her input.

Tisa, I’m sorry to hear about your frustrations, but thanks for sharing them. You’ve gotten some really good advice here already. It’s really common to have that stall when you’re several months out from surgery, and a lot of times you can get over it by taking another look and being super honest with yourself.

It looks like there’ve been a few suggestions. One is about logging your food – I’d suggest doing it, even if you don’t want to! And measure it. I know it’s a drag, but you don’t have to commit to it forever. Just do it for long enough so you’re 100% sure you’re eating exactly what you think you are. An extra ounce here or there can add up to a few hundred calories over the course of a day, and that’s enough to stop your weight loss.

The most important thing is to be patient and not get discouraged. You will eventually lose weight again if you are really being honest and following the diet you are supposed to. The body works in strange ways, and sometimes it takes a tweak here or there or just some extra time before it starts to let go of weight like you want it to.

@@stuknbama - I agree we have different programs. I just confused. I am pleased with my program as well and I have had no issues either, I am not discounting your program at all. Like you I've had no issues eating or drinking. I even had a handy handbook that outlines my entire program from pre-post op. However you said you aren't getting all you Protein in but you don't have issues eating or drinking. I'm asking why not? I understand not relying heavily on Protein drinks. My program strongly encourages getting my Protein from food. as well. So I'm confused by your statement that you aren't losing because you don't get all your protein.

Blerdgirl. .....quit being so confused...im more than meeting 60grams of Protein, im just not doing it with supplements. I clarified that more than once on above statements.

I applaud you for this statement! I read these forums and she seems to always have an opinion about other people's plans. It's rather frustrating when I read a question and she always always always has thrown her opinion in which comes off as being all knowing which unless she has an MD quite frankly im not going to pay too much attention to!

I am also with you and never had any issues with drinking or eating. Honestly Id talk more with your nutritionist and surgeon about what to do then people's suggestions on here. Everyone seems to have a different opinion and your surgeon and nutritionist have seen what works in the past with other patients. My surgeon says no fruit for the first 3 months some people think that's crazy but he's seen how helpful it is for weightloss with his patients, doesn't mean every one should try it if that's not what they were told you know? Good luck!

Really? It seems to me that everybody here had an opinion. In fact that's what I thought we were here for. As to my confusion with her statements it was because her initial post made it seem as if she was not getting her Protein in at all. It was not questioning her program. However if you have a specific comment or question for me, please feel free to direct it to me and not "me too" on a discussion I had with another poster.

@@stuknbama - I agree we have different programs. I just confused. I am pleased with my program as well and I have had no issues either, I am not discounting your program at all. Like you I've had no issues eating or drinking. I even had a handy handbook that outlines my entire program from pre-post op. However you said you aren't getting all you Protein in but you don't have issues eating or drinking. I'm asking why not? I understand not relying heavily on Protein drinks. My program strongly encourages getting my protein from food. as well. So I'm confused by your statement that you aren't losing because you don't get all your protein.

Blerdgirl. .....quit being so confused...im more than meeting 60grams of Protein, im just not doing it with supplements. I clarified that more than once on above statements.
I applaud you for this statement! I read these forums and she seems to always have an opinion about other people's plans. It's rather frustrating when I read a question and she always always always has thrown her opinion in which comes off as being all knowing which unless she has an MD quite frankly im not going to pay too much attention to!

I am also with you and never had any issues with drinking or eating. Honestly Id talk more with your nutritionist and surgeon about what to do then people's suggestions on here. Everyone seems to have a different opinion and your surgeon and nutritionist have seen what works in the past with other patients. My surgeon says no fruit for the first 3 months some people think that's crazy but he's seen how helpful it is for weightloss with his patients, doesn't mean every one should try it if that's not what they were told you know? Good luck!

Thank you....some think they know everything, but each case is its own....basics are basics, but when dealing with different body types and different medical issues, things change. Im glad i have a surgeon that realizes the things that help that may not be the cookie cutter answer.

@@stuknbama - I agree we have different programs. I just confused. I am pleased with my program as well and I have had no issues either, I am not discounting your program at all. Like you I've had no issues eating or drinking. I even had a handy handbook that outlines my entire program from pre-post op. However you said you aren't getting all you Protein in but you don't have issues eating or drinking. I'm asking why not? I understand not relying heavily on Protein drinks. My program strongly encourages getting my protein from food. as well. So I'm confused by your statement that you aren't losing because you don't get all your protein.

Thank you....some think they know everything, but each case is its own....basics are basics, but when dealing with different body types and different medical issues, things change. Im glad i have a surgeon that realizes the things that help that may not be the cookie cutter answer.

I don't believe anyone on this board has proclaimed themselves an expert. I was under the impression that we all simply sharing experiences.

Too clarify....the surgeon said to cut the Protein shakes to below 60, NOT total Protein intake.

This makes much more sense, thanks for clarifying.

How did this turn into a "BLERDgirl bash" ?

I personally think that blerdgirl is very helpful in clarifying information and providing appropriate feedback.

If you don't want to hear "follow your manual" or other peoples direct experience, maybe a forum isn't the place to ask questions.

There are great great resources on this site. Some of the posters have been the reason I haven't had major freak outs.

I'm only 4 weeks out. By no means am I an expert, and luckily I have had no major complications at all. (I will admit that pooping was hard at first). Half the reason I think this experience hasn't been the roller coaster of emotional melt downs is because I look here first, be rational, and accept the advise given from the experts.

I know that everyone has different personalities and that they can clash, but if you take a step back,you will realize that no one here is trying to sabotage you and are truly just trying to give honest to goodness feedback and advice.

My advice (again, I'm a newbie) is to stick to your plan, ensure you are getting your Protein and Water in, add in some exercise when you feel comfortable and consult with your nut. Use your team as much as you can. That's what they are paid for. And if you don't feel like they are accessible in the moment, come here and take heart knowing that everyone here wants you to be successful as you can be and they are here to support you through it.

Thanks @Grateful_Love - my questions are always to get a better understanding of where someone is coming from and not as an indictment of someone's program.

Thanks @Grateful_Love - my questions are always to get a better understanding of where someone is coming from and not as an indictment of someone's program.

I've only ever seen helpful advice & thoughts from @@BLERDgirl

Sorry to see there's been some mis-communication going on in this thread and really unnecessarily. I dont have anything to add to this topic, however i do feel BLERDgirl has been unfairly criticised. I've always read BLERDgirl's post to be helpful, please all take a deep breath and re-read each others posts in a different context ie positive one and you too will see that.

Wishing you all the best with your weight loss journeys xox

So I was sleeved back in February 2014.. for about two years I've been the same weight.. I would gain maybe 5lbs the most here and there and when that would happen I would go back to Protein shakes to start my day and it would come back off. But recently at my job they started the bigger loser competition so I've been actually "trying" to lose the rest of my weight which is a good 50lbs and now it won't work. I'm not eating after 7pm, exercising.. high Protein and all but I've gained 2lbs... wth? Weight is not melting off like it used to. :-(

Naeema W.

Edited by serenityjames81

Blerdgirl.....my surgeon said to cut out the Protein intake to below 60 grams, so im not sure thats my issue

Out of curiosity, did your surgeon give you a reason for advising you to go against one of the fundamental rules of WLS?

My surgeon is similar; he actually admonished me for using 2 Protein Shots (about 40g Protein for 80 cal each) as it put me over 60 grams of protein and he said that was just a waste of calories. That was during the early weeks when I was struggling to get in fluids, much less protein. I just had my one month follow up and he is bothered that I haven't lost since my 2 week appt. I just lost the 18 lbs quick and then when I went back to work nothing. I haven't been eating off plan, I just haven't exercised after work. My job is rather physical and with grad school, caregiving to mother and 4 kids, I generally don't have anything left at the end of the day. I'm worried too but feel that sticking to plan, it should drop eventually. My period has even failed to appear this month so something is at work.

Starting weight 367

Surgery weight 330

Current weight 308

Sleeved on Dec. 19, 2016