Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquor, Wine or Beer: Alcohol effects

Hi. I'm 1yr post op. I wanted to hear other post op's Alcohol effects. Wine burns my tummy and liquor gives me dumping and burns. Beer seems the only subtle drink but bloats me.

If I do catch a buzz it's only literally for 15-20 mins

Sorry, I can't tell you the effect it has on me because I'm too scared to try it, and here's why: I got this write-up from my dietician on liquid calories: "Alcohol is dangerous because it has more concentrated number of calories per serving than other carbohydrate. Carbohydrate has only 4kcals per gram. Alcohol is 7kcals per gram. Calorie content varies tremendously because of the other ingredients (sweeteners and such) and the concentration of alcohol." Not worth it to me. My "buzz" is from my successful weight loss!

I don't drink liquor at all, so I can't speak to that. But, for me, wine=major heartburn and beer=painful gas. I try to avoid alcohol as much as I can.

I'm interested in this topic. I'm also interested hearing from people who actually drink. At 26 years old it's unrealistic to say I will never drink again. Yes it's high and calories and carbs but you log it and adjust your diet for that day. Currently, I'm a month out and I plan to have A drink on weekends once I get about 4 months out.

I can drink anything except carbonated beverages (ie beer, champagne, mike's). I've had wine, vodka, whiskey, various liqueurs, and twisted tea. I actually was able to sip on hard cider a bit because it's not quite as bubbly. I could out drink a football team before surgery, and alcohol doesn't really seem to affect me any different postop. I've had 3 cocktails fairly quickly and barely a buzz. As for my tummy, 1 night of drinking isn't too bothersome, but if I drink 2 or more days in a row I do get bad gastritis and I have to take Rolaids and sometimes start a round of omeprazole. The same thing happens if I eat too many sweets.

It's kind of a perfect side effect, though. I can indulge "a little", but I know it will hurt if I do it too much, so I don't.

I can drink anything except carbonated beverages (ie beer, champagne, mike's). I've had wine, vodka, whiskey, various liqueurs, and twisted tea. I actually was able to sip on hard cider a bit because it's not quite as bubbly. I could out drink a football team before surgery, and alcohol doesn't really seem to affect me any different postop. I've had 3 cocktails fairly quickly and barely a buzz. As for my tummy, 1 night of drinking isn't too bothersome, but if I drink 2 or more days in a row I do get bad gastritis and I have to take Rolaids and sometimes start a round of omeprazole. The same thing happens if I eat too many sweets.

It's kind of a perfect side effect, though. I can indulge "a little", but I know it will hurt if I do it too much, so I don't.

May I ask how far from surgery did you start drinking?

I had a glass of wine at 4 months out. Tried a Bloody Mary at 5 months but it burned. A couple vodka cocktails at a golf tournament 6 months out with no problem. I didn't really drink any significant amount until my first vacation 9 1/2 months out. I was 10 pounds below goal weight at that point.

I probably drink 3-4 times a month now. Which beats the EVERY SINGLE DAY for at least 2 years before surgery. (food and alcohol was how I dealt with my brother's death)

Interesting how everyone is different on what their surgeon/dietician recommends. Ours said absolutely no alcohol for one year and even then he said, he recommend no alcohol ever.

Just had my 3 month post op checkup and my surgeon cleared me for alcoholic beverages. He stressed moderation and cautioned getting drunk faster. I had a few sips of my hubby's beer 2 months post op. No issues but apparently my tastes have changed because it was gross.

I plan on having a drink occasionally if I want one. I asked my surgeon if I could drink by July (we have an event to go to) and he said yes. When I was banded I drank Chivas and Water when we went out, or Vodka with Crystal Light Lemonade, but only a drink or two (usually). I don't recall it ever stopping my weight loss and I certainly never gained from it. One ounce of Vodka is 65 calories and zero carbs, mixed with no calorie no carb mixers it isn't much damage calorie wise.

My philosophy is I want live a normal life while I lose weight, and if that involves being out with friends and having a drink then I probably will sometimes.

I am by no means a heavy drinker, but with that being said, I like to go out from time to time and have a drink. I went to NYC about 1 month after surgery and I asked my Dr. if it was alright to have a drink or two. Just told not to over do it. I had a few cocktails and just stuck to vodka(Grey Goose) and Water. I always got a tall (extra water) and then just mixed in a Water Enhancer. I didn't have any problems whatsoever. I will say that one drink gave me a pretty good buzz. Since then, I had a few cocktails from time to time, always the same- vodka and Water with my flavor enhancer. Always in moderation though. I tried a glass of wine and it didn't go down well. Although I've been known as a wine snob in the past (lol) and maybe it was the wine and not me. Pretty much a bummer because I have about 100 bottles of wine in storage. Oh well, wine makes excellent gifts!

We don't want to replace one addiction (food) with another (alcohol). Only in moderation. I would steer clear of high calorie cocktails!

I've been post op for a year now and I was really nervous to try a cocktail while at a Gala because I heard of all these horror stories but the results weren't the same for me and I haven't met anyone similar either so I wondered if I was the only one to only get a buzz for 10-15 mins, 25 max.

If I drink anything sweet or tequila I get dumping syndrome, so beer and vodka with a light juice is what I can tolerate.