Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss oh no!

I was sleeved on January 8th, 2015. I have lost 48 lbs since January 2nd ( pre op diet). I had to have gall bladder surgery 5 weeks post op! I started noticing about 4 weeks ago that I had begun to lose hair. I could tell in the shower after shampooing I would have a pretty good bit on my hands. I didn't think anything much about it until I got my hair dyed and cut the other day. My hairdresser noticed it. I have fine hair but I had a pretty good but. I am thinking it is from lack of Protein. I take 2 Biotin pills a day. The thing is, I just don't know how to get the protein in. I use fitness pal and I know that I have been getting about 40 grams a day. Some one suggested "Isopure" drinks. Also, will I ever regrow the hair I have lost? What are some of your opinions? My husband is bald. I cannot be his twin! Thank you for any suggestions.

I was faithfully getting at least 80 grams a day very soon after surgery (I had no problems getting my shakes down). I also took Biotin daily. I had it coming out by the handfull.

The good news is that it really does stop and come back. I'm 7+ months out and in full chia pet mode :-)

Like so many stages of this journey, this too shall pass. As unnerving as it is, it will be OK. Promise!

Three days ago I cut about 12" of hair off because it was thinning. I got my Protein, I take Biotin, I use Vioxin Shampoo. You name it, I do it. I was told it comes back and I do see some short hairs in the mix. So I think it does. I heard it stops falling out around the 6 month mark. Which I am almost up to. I lost about 1/3 of my hair. If not more. So, fingers crossed it gets better!! =)

uugh! Does that mean we should be looking for wigs?

Nioxin Shampoo made a HUGE difference for me. i started losing around month 3. i used the shampoo from day one.

i had gall bladder surgery several years ago and i remember having really bad hair loss. i had a majorly restricted diet after that, and the surgeon then told me Hair loss was probably from the diet.

after my sleeve, like i said, i started losing at month 3. it was not a LOT daily, but enough for me to notice. i continued to use the Nioxin, i went and got a pixie cut, and it leveled right off about 4 wks later. now the pixie is growing out. i definitely notice that the texture of my hair seems finer, and if that's the case, i will be cutting it back off. i know most people don't have a texture change, but i suspect that I may, and i don't want to have baby fine hair that looks like the aftermath of bariatric surgery. cut pixie, it is CUTE and looks nice and thick. i will wait about another month before the final decision...

I haven't had hair loss yet and I'm at 6 months post op. My hair is very thick and I actually go to the hairdressers to get it thinned from time to time. I've never had trouble getting Protein in, even in the very beginning. My day always starts with an Isopure Protein Drink. That right there gives you 50 grams of Protein. If I eat a piece of salmon for lunch, then I've already hit my protein goal for the day. The salmon I buy at Wal-Mart has 25 grams of protein. This gives me a total of 75 grams of protein even before the day is half over. By the time I add in dinner, I usually have a daily total of 90-100+. It's pretty easy.

Edited by WL WARRIOR