Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having second thoughts!

I went onto the complication thread and am now officially freaking out! I am having surgery on June 12rh with Dr. Jose Rodriguez and am scared of post op complications and what I am going to do back home if I have issues. I am thinking about just having him take the band out and not do the revision. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I think I changed my mind or waffled about my decision a hundred times. Only you can decide for sure if surgery is the right thing for you to do. You need to research - know the risks and the % of incidence. Research your doctor and his/her history. Arm yourself with information, then make an educated decision.

I agree with the previous posters. Have you sat down and listed the potential risks of you NOT having surgery (high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, GERD, joint damage, shortened life span, etc.)? Doing that was an eye opener for me. I changed my mind about the surgery more than once, but every time I took a handful of hypertension meds or faced using my CPAP machine, everything came back into focus. I want a chance at health and a happier life again. Either way, it was going to be a gamble.

But that was what was best for me, you're the only one who can decide what would be best for you.

After having had surgery with Dr. Rodriguez myself last week, I can honestly say that you have made an excellent choice there. He's very, very good at what he does. If you have any questions, or if I can help in any way, please let me know.

I wish you the best!

Okiebon, how are you doing after surgery? What is your plan if heaven forbid, you have some type of complication? That's what I am afraid of, not the surgery itself, but the lack of support from doctors here in the U.S if something were to go wrong.

I'm doing great so far, much better than I ever expected actually. But this is only day 8 for me.

My PCP (an internist) is actually the one who suggested the surgery to me, and she's the one who mentioned Mexico when we found out my insurance wouldn't cover the surgery. She has a couple of other patients who've successfully had bariatric surgery in Mexico in the last few years. She's been to recent conferences on bariatric surgery patients, is completely supportive of my choices, and will be handling all of my follow up care, labs, etc. I have my first follow up with her later this week.

Her internal medicine practice is affiliated with a surgical group that includes a few of the top bariatric surgeons in our area. If complications develop, she will arrange with one of them to step in. There are doctors in the US willing to work with patients who went to Mexico, the trick is to find them. I'm so very blessed to have the PCP that I do who put plans in place for me long before I had the surgery.

Okiebon, you are very lucky. I don't know if my pcp would be as supportive. I don't know if I even want to tell her about it.

She's going to find out eventually, you know. ;)

Have you called bariatric surgeons in your area and explained your situation? I've read other members posts here saying that that's what they did, and most of them were able to find someone willing to offer treatment if complications arise.

This is why, I personally would not chose to get a mexican sleeve. I like having recoarse should something not go as planned. However, many here have had great result in mexico. I think all of us are scared pre-op. I was scared to death and thought about backing out. Luckly my support group was great and I came though with flying colors. 10 months out I feel like superman and wish I had done it sooner.

I'm scheduled for April 14th in Mexico.

Anyone else getting it done in Mexico?

I feel that having second thoughts is very natural. I am fortunate that my Doctor here is 110% supportive! She will be doing my follow up care here when I get back. She reassured me, that on the off chance that complications arise, she has folks here who she will refer me to. My surgery is scheduled for June 2nd in Cabo and I am so excited! I feel confident about my decision due to the wonderful people I have cheering me on...my Doctor included!

If you're not comfortable talking about it with your Dr, or are worried about her reaction, why don't you "test" her at your next visit. Say you have a "friend, niece, nephew, etc" going to Mexico for surgery and ask her for her thoughts. You will know quickly, and if she is positive, just be honest and say..."well I have something to tell you but wasn't sure how you felt about it". Or if it's all negative, maybe you need to find a different Dr that cares more about you helping yourself get healthy rather than where you choose to have surgery.

Best of luck!!!