Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

More on Crazy Penny

Okay, so I'm watching the full episode now (I saw a clip show previously). First of all, she's from my neck of the woods! I shop at the same grocery store sometimes.

Second, she didn't have a band, she had a sleeve, and OMG the size of the stomach they took out was INSANE! Also, Dr. Now said BEFORE her surgery that she liked to play the victim - she was on oxygen she didn't even need! She won't do a soft diet - does she want a rupture! And someone is sneaking her food . . .

I hate her husband so bad right now. She's even worse.

What is this?

A woman on My 600lb Life who got sleeve surgery and was completely noncompliant. She's a total train wreck and makes all of us look bad. It's sickening.

She doesn't make me look bad. She doesn't reflect on me in any way, as a matter of fact. I dare say she reflects on no one I know who has had WLS.

;)

She's a very extreme example of WLS patients in general.

She doesn't make me look bad. She doesn't reflect on me in any way, as a matter of fact. I dare say she reflects on no one I know who has had WLS.

;)

She's a very extreme example of WLS patients in general.

Of course she doesn't actually reflect on US, we're trying and succeeding. I just meant that uneducated people who fat shame and fat hate see her and think all WLS patients are just like that. We don't need any stereotyping than we already get.

I'm really just mad because she has failed her son. I lost a son, he was stillborn, he died in labor, and I have a son who had a rocky NICU stay, and she just takes for granted the gift god gave her. I work my ass off to lose weight so I can be a better mom and model healthy eating behaviors, and she's a miserable excuse for a mom. Her son deserves better.

I may have seen that. I saw one who's husband was a total a$$ the whole show. He even stopped at McDonald's when he brought her back from the hospital after surgery.

Mmmmmm....I'm not one for blanket statements or generalizations. :)

I don't think it's fair to say she "makes us all look bad" or that anyone one group thinks all WLS patients are "just like that". I think most people know that show goes for shock value and is usually quite a train wreck.

Just my opinion. :)

Yeah that's the one.

I saw that she had to go to Texas to get the surgery. There are 5 top notch bariatric surgery programs (including my hospital) within 30 minutes of her home, more than twice as many if you include Metro DC. I know why they wouldn't take her at my hospital - they don't typically do surgeries for people that obese (her BMI was 82.7, mine was 36.1), but some of the other hospitals DO perform surgery on people with weights that high. I wonder why she didn't go to them.

There is a lot of fat people hate out there. This episode does not help. My friend was featured on the show - the very first episode - and the response from the general public was so overwhelmingly positive that she has been on talk shows, news programs, and is even a public speaker. I think the show can go either way as far as sensationalism. But I'm glad to hear that you have not encountered people who shame fat people and WLS patients. I don't take it personally, but hearing people talk that way is awkward.

That particular doctor does all the surgeries for this show. I bet he does them for free and profits off the publicity and notoriety.

No question. I'll have to ask my friend if she had to pay for her surgery (I think she did), but his practice must have exploded since the beginning of this show. I worry he doesn't do enough psych evals with each patient, but they don't show that part so I can only guess.

Meh. I have friends and family that loves me. Maybe my resting b!tch face discourages and "fat hate". Any negativity that may exist in my world about my weight never registered with the exception of that I felt for myself.

Lucky? Oblivious? Who knows....

I'm going to go ahead and throw out the thought that the title and the original post in this thread makes me really sad. I hated that episode. I hated her life and I hated what she did to herself and her family. That said, all we were shown were snapshots of her life for the sake of ratings.

We don't know the real story, why she got that way, what she faced that wasn't shown... Is she "crazy"? I don't know. Is she very very mentally ill? I'd wager yes.

She has taken a beating on this site so many times as well as in hundreds of other forums. What if she's reading this? Do you think it's helpful in any way? Is this form of fat hate any different just because you (general/plural) also experienced WLS with more success? If anything, I think it's worse because you (general/plural) should be able to empathize...

I'm out. :(

Im sorry, but I think shes crazy. I cannot empathize because she pissed me off.

Im sorry, but I think shes crazy. I cannot empathize because she pissed me off.

I sincerely hope the people you encounter in your life's journeys are more capable of such. I honestly do.