Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cholesterol considerations

15 months post op and down 119 lbs but seriously plateaued. Just had blood work done and low and behold my overall cholesterol is pretty much the same (214) as when I weighed 283 lbs. Sooooo, looks like it is probably genetic. (It's funny how the medical community wants to blame being heavy for everything that is not right. They never really addressed the number before but just said, "You need to lose weight.")

Now that we can all agree that it is genetic, I'll have some decisions to make with my doc about whether or not to go on meds. Although the total number didn't go down, I do note promising changes in the healthy cholesterol, HDL up 39 points and the bad LDL down 15 points. Tri's are very healthy at around 50.

I'm thinking I'd like to wait another 6 months or so before I commit to any meds. Given the positive direction on the HDL/LDL ratio, I'm wondering if further weight loss would help these borderline numbers edge over into normal or if this is just a genetic card I've been dealt.

Although I look good now, wear a size 8 regular or 10 petite and have a lot of muscle, I could stand to lose another 20 lbs by the charts. Well, technically by the charts, I could lose another 50 lbs and be in the normal range, because I'm short. However - literally I would be a size 0 and have to consume about 800 calories per day for life to maintain. Sometimes, I have to remind myself that I'm still considered at the top of the overweight scale. It's hard to imagine because I feel so normal and healthy. I never thought I'd buy size 8 clothing and still be considered 1 point away from obese. : (

I'm thinking it would be realistic to work hard to break the plateau and get down to about 150 and then see what happens with the cholesterol at that point.

Anyone have any experiences with the ability to impact genetic cholesterol issues?

I don't have a lot of information on this but do have a similar experience. My chol went back down to normal range after WLS and stayed that way for about 3 years (I'm 4 years out now). My eating habits have remained very controlled with whole foods, mostly plant-based Protein, and no processed junk. Chol levels mysteriously started rising again at 3 years and I was told by my medical team that they are seeing a pattern of this happening and don't really have a lot of data yet as to why. Like you, my ratios are in a good range, so the decision for me right now is to NOT go back on meds. But, like everything else and because cholesterol treatment is SUCH A CONTROVERSIAL SUBJECT right now, many of our physicians probably differ greatly on treatment decisions. The latest announcement last week about dietary cholesterol intake not being a major contributor to high serum cholesterol just adds more confusion to making the wisest choices for ourselves.

Of course this is a decision that only you and your physician can come to, but if my circumstances were exactly like yours, a total chol of 214 would not be high enough to start back on a statin, especially since your HDL and LDL have shown some improvement(but of course I don't know if you have any other medical conditions that might make 214 a dangerous number FOR YOU). It may well be likely that the genetic card we both have been dealt with will result in eventual use of statins, but I personally am cautiously holding out hope that some other less risky remedy other than statins will become an option sooner than later.

Good luck in making your decision, and congratulations on your great progress!

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking. With no other medical issues, and a borderline numer, my goal would be to postpone statins and see if I can affect a bit of change with additional weight loss. Then I can monitor again in 6 to 12 months.

Thank you for sharing your experience!

15 months post op and down 119 lbs but seriously plateaued. Just had blood work done and low and behold my overall cholesterol is pretty much the same (214) as when I weighed 283 lbs. Sooooo, looks like it is probably genetic. (It's funny how the medical community wants to blame being heavy for everything that is not right. They never really addressed the number before but just said, "You need to lose weight.")

Now that we can all agree that it is genetic, I'll have some decisions to make with my doc about whether or not to go on meds. Although the total number didn't go down, I do note promising changes in the healthy cholesterol, HDL up 39 points and the bad LDL down 15 points. Tri's are very healthy at around 50.

I'm thinking I'd like to wait another 6 months or so before I commit to any meds. Given the positive direction on the HDL/LDL ratio, I'm wondering if further weight loss would help these borderline numbers edge over into normal or if this is just a genetic card I've been dealt.

Although I look good now, wear a size 8 regular or 10 petite and have a lot of muscle, I could stand to lose another 20 lbs by the charts. Well, technically by the charts, I could lose another 50 lbs and be in the normal range, because I'm short. However - literally I would be a size 0 and have to consume about 800 calories per day for life to maintain. Sometimes, I have to remind myself that I'm still considered at the top of the overweight scale. It's hard to imagine because I feel so normal and healthy. I never thought I'd buy size 8 clothing and still be considered 1 point away from obese. : (

I'm thinking it would be realistic to work hard to break the plateau and get down to about 150 and then see what happens with the cholesterol at that point.

Anyone have any experiences with the ability to impact genetic cholesterol issues?

I am working on this as well. What I have found that works the best so far (got me to under 200...) is some addition of chia seeds, flax and walnut oil and Mega Strength Beta Sitosterol daily before eating....(I use one source Naturals brand a day, you could use two if needed) My HDL has slowly gone up and the LDL slowly down as well... my numbers are not that different than yours.... its genetic. :(