Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved March 3 now Bypass!

SLEEVE TO BYPASS REVISION. I apologize in advance if this is not where I post this at. I have been sleeved for 21 days now....and now I may have to have the bypass within 2 weeks. I never had actual GERD before but have had GERD ever since the surgery. I don't have any vomiting at night like others have mentioned...but it restricts me from now getting any food but cottage cheese in and only about 20 ounces of Water. I'm not talking like the tiny acid I used to get with eating a whole pizza and then laying down ...I'm talking like punch you in the stomach pain & sizzling noises all day long in my throat. I boil acid all day long. It's not excruciating...Its just not good on a sleeve and I'm scared It will eat through my staples or hurt my small pouch even more. I was 270 day of surgery and weighed this morning at 238. I'm losing weight like a champ but it's because my intake is super low. I saw my surgeon on Friday and he raised my Nexium but said that if in 2 weeks I was still having the Gerd that he was going to do a sleeve to bypass revision. Has anyone had a sleeve to bypass revision? If so I would love to hear about your experience. Good or bad. I've googled many posts but can't get straight forward answers. How was the pain? Did you have complications? And how is your quality of life now? Tia :)

Edited by sarahbeth3569

I did not have a revision. I had Bypass and I love it. My blood work is fine and I don't have any malabsorption issues at this point. I don't have GERD either. I made this choice in part because I had pre-diabetes and the bypass has the best prognosis for remission. If I was already on my way to diabetes of course I wanted to avoid insulin shots if at all possible.

Good luck. Your acid sound wicked, so sorry. Its hard right now but you will get there.

Thank you for the well wishes. It is wicked and I definitely dont want to go through another surgery. Im already off of my Metformin thanks to my sleeve and my bp is regulated perfectly. Its a love hate relationship :) I just wish that I would have gone straight to bypass in the first place. I had no idea how violent gerd could be. :)

Sarabeth3569 - I had sleeve on Dec 21, 2012. I am probably going to be going through revision to bypass. Can you tell me how your process has been, struggles, non struggles, good days, bad days, etc...

I was about 289 lbs when I had Sleeve done. I got down to 189. Then I got pregnant and Jumped up to 233. Now I'm back to 210, and I can't get my sleeve into gear. I'm eating way more than I should be able to, and I would like to get back into gear with all of this.

It would be awesome to have an email friend.

I never had a sleeve because I have suffered from GERD for years and chose gastric bypass to help remedy the issue so I wouldn't have to take pills for the rest of my life. I had my bypass on Monday and yesterday I tried a new Protein Shake and within 15 minutes the nasty GERD was back so I immediately started taking the medicine again and haven't had any pain today. I take 40 mg of generic Prilosec. I hope the medicine helps you because there is no guarantee that the bypass will cure GERD. I am still hopeful that some day I won't have to take the medicine but only time will tell.

Sarabeth3569 - I had sleeve on Dec 21, 2012. I am probably going to be going through revision to bypass. Can you tell me how your process has been, struggles, non struggles, good days, bad days, etc...

I was about 289 lbs when I had Sleeve done. I got down to 189. Then I got pregnant and Jumped up to 233. Now I'm back to 210, and I can't get my sleeve into gear. I'm eating way more than I should be able to, and I would like to get back into gear with all of this.

It would be awesome to have an email friend.

Hi there! I've just been eating the cottage cheese to keep the Protein in...and I found that I can drink the G2 fruit punch packets. I pour half the packet into a bottle of Water and drink it that way. I've been trying things but everything makes me nauseous. I did eat some instant mashed potatoes and they went down fine. But I don't need to fill my "hell pouch" with carbs. Lol it has gotten extremely better. If I bend over forward I get pretty ill...if I brush my teeth I vomit which I'm sure is common. Protein shakes are still a no-go. They boil pretty bad. I was supposed to have an appointment today but I canceled it til the 10th to give me some more time to heal and make a decision.

Here's an update. I had my follow-up today. This week I've eaten a lot of new things. I've totally turned a corner with the reflux. I can eat about 2 shrimp, mashed potatoes, crab salad, and scrambled eggs with grits and soft-cooked turkey bacon. I still sleep sitting up and can't bend forward for too long but I've made the decision that I wanted more time to heal and see before going into another surgery. And I'm very happy with that decision. I've lost 43 lbs now and hopefully in a couple o months the reflux will be even better. :)