Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Required to be off birth control

My surgery is scheduled for 4/23, I'm told to get off birth control for 2 weeks before surgery and 4 weeks after and I don't understand why? I take nuva-ring, (vaginally for 3 weeks in). I'm not sure how my hormones being regulated plays a role in VGS. This make me very nervous as do not want to get pregnant. Any suggestions?

Now, this is just my opinion, but I'm thinking that as VSG DOES play a large role in hormonal release, the birth control might be either at odds with it, or mess everything up completely. After the surgery, as you lose fat, hormones are released. If you were to ask most folks on here, especially the females, we go into some pretty weird hormonally-inspired bouts. Such as crying, being angry... for no apparent reason. I did, and I had a hysterectomy over 10 years ago. It was like a was 15 again! Please call your Dr. up and ask why. You need to understand it all, and ask what to do for birth control in the meantime. Good luck to you...

that seems odd, i have NEVER heard that....i would not do that...esp since you are told DO NOT get pregnant right away after..

I didn't have to go off my BC except the day of surgery, but I did have a visit with my GYN about 2 weeks before my surgery and she had to give me a spiel about how BC greatly increases the chance of blood clots after surgery and how imperative it was for me to walk and move a lot after surgery. They did keep the air things (technical term ha) on my legs to keep the clots away until I was able to get up and walk. I also take my BC for treatment of PCOS to regulate my hormones, not just to not get knocked up, so that may be part of why they let me keep taking it. I'd just ask them why, I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you. Ask for a diaphragm, or make him wrap it up, or both.

It's because it places you at a higher risk for blood clots during and immediately after surgery. Generally it's only oral antibiotics that they worry about, however I was also told I had to be off birth control before surgery. I use depo and I explained to my doctor that depo is not contraindicated for the same reason oral antibiotics are, he researched it, and then he cleared me. I would ask your doctor to research further into the ring, because it shouldn't be the same issue as oral contraceptives. Usually they just blindly tell everyone they can't be on birth control without looking at the versions of bc that are not orally based.

If anything it is more of an issue before surgery than for a full month afterward. You won't feel like having sex for at least a week or two after surgery and after that point, I don't see a medical reason to wait the full month.

I have an IUD, no one said anything to me about stopping birth control :-/

Hormonal birth control can contribute to blood clots and disrupt your healing after your surgery. My doctor had me stop mine in February. She wanted me off of it for at least a month. My surgery is April 6 and my February pack stopped in the middle of the month.

Either wrap it up or abstain. Or as someone mentioned, other ummm pathways.

I'll be allowed back on mine the month after surgery.