Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discomort after fill and hunger Pains

Hey Fellow banded friends,

I have a question?

I just had a fill on 03/17/2015 and it was a huge fill. 5CC. I feel fine...Im eating less food, not hungry at all, and not feeling too tight. Thank God. But every time I drink Water I have this discomfort that I feel. I am not in pain at all. I can eat and food goes down okay. No vomiting at all. I eat slowly and hear for the burb and I know I'm done. It's just this discomfort.

I also get hunger pains, my stomach starts to hurt like if I am hungry, but I don't want to eat. I still feel full and not hungry.

My first thought is, when I forget I am banded, I chug a bottle of Water, instead of drink, wait, drink, wait..you get the picture.

When it's too much, too soon, I feel your pain

Same with food, if you eat a bite, wait, listen, you soon will find that you should have stopped or slowed down a few bites ago. Try NOT to clean your plate . I have found some really cute small dishes that I can sit on one of those hot plate/ mug warmers that people use on their desk for coffee. How I hated "cold" food in the first year, I think I'm used to it now, or just more regulated to how slow can I eat, and how little can I eat to be satisfied. I was so programmed into gosh I don't know if I can eat all of that- and then cleaning the plate, that it was such a revelation to think I am going to be satisfied after four or five bites, time to stop- and - I haven't died from hunger yet! (Tongue in cheek!) hope you find your answer!

And one last thought, I think some meds/ Vitamins cause the burning sensation. I've had good luck with a Pepcid ahead of time with that.

The one and only time I ever had a similar sensation was the day of my very first fill, when I was drinking a cup of Water in the lobby before leaving. I hear people say all the time to not drink too fast, and there is a part of me that is just perplexed, lol. Don't get me wrong, I am not a wolfer or chugger, but I don't exactly pause between sips. I am almost curius to know what this feels like, but in the meantime - I'm good!

but I do hope your discomfort goes away. I have heard some people advise to just give your fill a few days to give your body time to adjust. As always, listen to your body and see your doc if things don't get better. Take care!

Thank guys. I'm just going to give it a few days. Maybe I just need to get used to it again.

I just had my first fill yesterday, 4 and a half months post op and after 3 months of only minimal weight loss. I put it off as long as I could but knew I had to go the the next level. I was scared and acted like a big baby in front of my doc! :o

He told me liquid diet for 3 days and I am starving! Protein drinks aren't making a dent. I hope it's true that I will start feeling less hungry soon...

@@laizaone1 That was a very aggressive fill to your band at one time! What size band to you have? 10 or 14 cc?

That feeling you are getting could happen when you are putting too much in too fast. Think about a Water bottle being filled up from a running tap. Only so much can make it through the neck of that water bottle and some air builds up around it inside the bottle and you start to have some bubbles,

When your drinking in large gulps or big sips of Fluid your not giving enough time for the Fluid to make it down your throat and through the opening in the stoma to your larger stomach and it creates some air bubbles and can also regurgitate on you if your not careful.

This can happen with food as well and food and Water together can be quite an explosive return which is why you hear many Dr.s tell you not to eat and drink at the same time. It's more a problem of stacking food. One bite after the next before the first bite has cleared the stoma and into the larger stomach. Also as water is usually heavier than most foods we grind up by chewing it will sink below and under the food in your esophagus and erupt a bit like a volcano if the pressure is right.

Think about your insides being a bit like that, our bodies have pressure in them and outside of them along with the added pressure of the filled band doing it's thing. That discomfort could be the pressure being forced on the walls of the upper chamber (above the band) as it tries to squeeze fluid and food through the stoma and on it's way.

If sipping and waiting and then sipping again does not alleviate the discomfort I would give the Dr. a call and consider having a small amount of fluid removed to decrease the pressure on the stomach.

That growling of your stomach, could be just that. Not there because of hunger and if you are not hungry do not eat. My tummy will often make noises as I digest food, and sometimes it can be a little gnawing like hunger but it's mostly just things moving around in there. If I am not hungry I don't eat. Sometimes having some water or tea will help digestion and the noise will subside.

Let us know how your doing!!