Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"picky eaters" - my pet peeve

this is not directed at anyone in particular and in fact was inspired by multiple posts over nearly 4 years...

I find it freaking annoying that people post that they cannot comply with XX because they are "picky eaters". okay, lets get real. How did you possibly get morbidly obese (ie 100# or more overweight) being a delicate eater?

Okay, let's imagine that happened. Now, you are in the battle for your freaking life, and you will let something like "that didn't taste good" interfere with your success? Really? I so understand how hard it is.. but really?????

Do you think I don't dream of snickers bars and have a bit of Protein Drink in my coffee instead?

I have read about how people hate to choose shrimp and chicken over "yummy food" when going out... I get that it is venting, but honestly, what did you expect? (besides, shrimp skewers are delish!) I actually want a serious answer to that question. Do some imagine that by the sheer act of stomach reduction that lasting weight loss was guaranteed without changing your eating patterns?

ok,, vent over - carry on!

My related pet peeve is people who are relatively early out from surgery who don't want to eat something or drink their Protein Shakes because "it doesn't taste good" "it's boring" "I need something crunchy" or "I can't tolerate it" (when "I can't tolerate it" means something other than "it makes me throw up."). Especially early on, food isn't about entertainment. It isn't supposed to keep you from boredom or delight your senses. It's supposed to nourish you and help you heal. If it doesn't make you throw up and it helps you meet your nutritional goals, choke it down and move on.

Have I become a picky eater??? YOU BET!!! And I am loving every minute of it!

Before Lap band surgery, I was a disgusting fat gluttonous pig with one foot in the grave...diabetic, one heart attack resulting in cardiac surgery....I would eat anything and everything put before me, then finish whatever was left on my wife's plate

But after Lap band surgery, I have NO hunger, NO cravings...I have NO interest in food or eating in general....I have gone full days and have forgotten to sit down AND EAT....

At times, I can stare at a menu and not find anything that interests me. I can wander around a grocery store and not find anything to bring home for dinner.

My Tastes have changed dramatically...things I used to crave have no flavor anymore.

Because of the band, there are foods I had to give up...I don't eat meat, things made from flour such as breads and Pasta, no longer eat rice, nothing deep fried....

Not only is my hunger and cravings limited, but My portion sizes are very small because of the band.

So when I do eat, I have to make the best of what I can...the most nutritious, healthiest choices I can make...don't want to blow that opportunity on something bad.

So I have become a very "picky health nut" Always looking for the most nutritious,healthiest, all natural, organic, non processed and high Protein foods I can

Am I Picky??? YOU BET!

I go to the gym every chance I get....usually at 5-6am where I run 5 miles, then do weights.

I have NO BODY FAT left! (or very little)...It is not my goal, but my bodies decision to stop where it is the most healthiest - normal.

I have not felt better, been healthier, in over 35 years...all because being very "Picky" thanks to this WLS...

I have friends, read magazine articles, advertisements etc, where people find this lifestyle very "Chic" and they work hard to try to live it everyday....for me, it all became easy and fell into place because of my Lap Band surgery...

As a disclaimer.....on top of it all, since I am no longer dieting or have fear of gaining any weight back...I still enjoy life's little pleasures....we will go out and get a Ice Cream Sundae with all the toppings at least twice a week....I do not hold back on alcohol....I enjoy a good beer with my friends from time to time....

In other words...food does not scare me....

I Love this new life! Call me picky...I LOVE IT! It beats the alternative....

I have become a picky eater as well. I crave good Proteins and good carbs. I don't eat fast food crap of any kind. My Snacks are rich in Protein.

I am no longer a Slave to food and I got this way by

1. Having weight loss surgery and purging my old behaviors before hand.

2. Sticking to the plan provided to me until I was released to eat regular food. And then stick sticking to the basic rules. Of getting my liquids in, Protein Vitamins and staying active

3. I don't eat anything I don't like, I find healty options I do like

4. I have told my brain and stomach that sugar and crappy food tastes horrible and it has worked for me. By the way, I don't dump so I could eat absolutely anything I want

This is all about getting right in the head. If you can do this it will be successful. If you are not ready for life to change for you, you will not succeed. WLS really is only a tool to help you get to your goal. The other 90 percent is totally up to you.

Now, I am about to go get on a cruise to Puerto Rico and Haiti for 9 days. My last cruise I lost 2.5lbs that week. I plan to do similarly on this one by living my new lifestyle. Lots of exercise and making sure I get good Proteins, lots of Water and take my Vitamins.< /p>

Bon voyage!!

ITA. I am eating things right now in soft foods phase that don't really appeal to me. I was a slave to preservatives, high fat, high sugar foods. Now I am shooting for total clean eating. I ate clean for 4 years before I went off the wagon. Even though I regained I am so happy to have had that experience...it forced me to learn to like some tastes that initially did not appeal to me.

My pet peeve is people who call someone a "picky eater". I have multiple food allergies. You better believe I read labels and don't eat or drink everything put in front of me. I probably would be considered a "delicate eater". I also have a bit of a tactile issue with certain textures and cooking methods even when they make little sense. The biggest oxymoron? Carrots. I will eat them raw or very lightly steamed. Cooked the make me gag. The exception? Carrot cake.

But here's the thing, you'd be surprised at hows fat finds you. I have been vegetarian for 15 years. I gained from a combination of illness and an over reliance on carbs. Even adjusting my eating couldn't reverse the damage that chronic conditions and years of bad eating had done.

There is a difference between someone who is a picky eater and someone who is a choosey eater. First one to me is someone who whines about eating things that are good for them. The second is one who has chosen to eat things they know are good for them.

Eating things that are good for you regardless of the reason (WLS, allergies, food pyriamid) doesn't make you a picky eater, it makes you a choosey eater.

Picky eater = a negative term applied to children by parents and carried into adulthood. Adults who now believe that there is such a thing as being a picky eater, because they were allowed to be that way when they were kids.

Choosing to eat wisely for your health is NOT the same thing.

I get it cowgirijane. Why would anyone ruin their future by being a picky eater. There are way to many ways to achieve the nutrition you need, you just need to choose a way.

Whining is allowed however, because eating is an emotional issue too.

Edited by Hoven

Agree. Those same posts annoy me too. A lot.

@@BLERDgirl I am actually the exact same way with carrots. Something about the cooking them, I actually got sick from them once when forced to eat them as a child. Eeeek

Agree. Those same posts annoy me too. A lot.

@@BLERDgirl I am actually the exact same way with carrots. Something about the cooking them, I actually got sick from them once when forced to eat them as a child. Eeeek

Same here. They thought I was faking the gagging as a child until I barfed them up. Even now as an adult I pick them out of Soups.

@@Hoven that's exactly right. My point is most people prefer the taste of a milkshake to a Protein drink..does not make us picky eaters. I know it can take some adjusting but sometimes people state they don't or won't comply because they are picky eaters...and I find that aggravating because sometimes you just have to do what's necessary for your health.

I too am a selective eater since my sleeve 3 years ago...I want high quality foods prepared well - that is not what I am ranting about. Some people DO have food limits but Blerd that is not what I am talking about either. Also I have never seen you use it as an excuse.

Haven't you all seen the question from a self proclaimed picky eater that they need food suggestions because they don't really like (fill in the blank with list of healthy foods). Requests on how to prepare or otherwise work them in, I embrace...that is someone seeking a solution not excuses.

There is a difference between someone who is a picky eater and someone who is a choosey eater. First one to me is someone who whines about eating things that are good for them. The second is one who has chosen to eat things they know are good for them.

Eating things that are good for you regardless of the reason (WLS, allergies, food pyriamid) doesn't make you a picky eater, it makes you a choosey eater.

Picky eater = a negative term applied to children by parents and carried into adulthood. Adults who now believe that there is such a thing as being a picky eater, because they were allowed to be that way when they were kids.

Choosing to eat wisely for your health is NOT the same thing.

I get it cowgirijane. Why would anyone ruin their future by being a picky eater. There are way to many ways to achieve the nutrition you need, you just need to choose a way.

Whining is allowed however, because eating is an emotional issue too.

I just read a very interesting post on here. I think I understand a bit better what you are saying.

I know this is directed more towards WLS patients, but I have son with a sensory issue, and unfortunately it is possible to become overweight by being a picky eater, and when I say sensory issue, I don't mean that he just refuses to eat, many textures of the food he tries to eat causes him to vomit, the ones that don't make him vomit are often not the ones that are good for him, he exists on peanutbutter, chicken, strawberries, apples, mashed potatoes, grilled cheese, corn, and cheese pizza and broccoli but not the stalks. He often doubles up on the food he does like because he only eats one thing usually on his plate.

I agree that we need to be less self indulgent when it comes to sticking with the WLS program, even when it involves foods that are not enjoyable or too restricted. We have the surgery to help us recover our health. How can we do that if we are not willing to eat healthfully?

But I think many of the whiners are really just venting. This may be annoying for others, but I find myself doing it as well so I can't complain when others do it.

I will admit that I'm somewhat of a picky eater, but it's not because I just don't like whatever it is that I'm picky about. There's certain textures and flavors that simply make me gag, to the point of vomiting. It's a little hard to force yourself to eat something when it can literally make you vomit. Fish, for example, I can only eat if it has a firmer texture and doesn't taste like fish, because "fishy" flavors make me gag. Shrimp and other seafood/shellfish is an absolute no-go, due to the flavor and the texture (like old Jello that's been allowed to sit uncovered in the refrigerator and develop a hard film on it). Anything with a thicker layer of fat on it or a greasy texture is a no-go, due to the texture of the fat (thicker bacon, rib-eye steak, chicharrones, some sausages, etc.).

I am better about it than I used to be, though. I now eat some types of Beans, mushrooms, and ground meats, and those were no-gos a few years ago. Vegetables are generally pretty safe for me, to the point where I've actually considered becoming a vegetarian.

Edited by losing_the_band

This made me lol!