Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana and Life after Bariatric Surgery

Post op they recommend no alcohol for a year and a lot of doctors won't even operate on you unless you quit smoking because it can complicate and slow down the healing process.

If you are pre-op, I would strongly consider this as an opportunity to quit the use marijuana since you can't use it for a while and find something else to fill that gap for a while. You might find a much healthier option (and depending on where you live... More legal option).

Remember, the whole reason people get weight loss surgery is to aid them in making drastic lifestyle changes to better their health. In the grand scheme of things, the recreational use of marijuana and an alcoholic beverage is peanuts compared to the changes in food consumption you will be undergoing.

I know it's just advice and ultimately it's your decision to make... But there are lots of ways to relieve stress after a long hard week. Maybe go for a spa visit or something along those lines. Who couldn't go for a good face massage!

I fully get why they don't want smoking (all types), snuff, snuss or tobacco. Too hard on stomach trying to heal following surgery. I still find it amazing how the stomach heals and contains all the acid following surgery. But the thread morphed into an interesting discussion. Glad to be with adults who can look at these issues and discuss their concerns in a fun and interesting way with out too much judgement.

One of my favorite quotes was from a pastor who opposed Prohibition when he said "Very little good comes from the Absolute Shall." BTW if you have not seen the Ken Burns documentary on Prohibition, worth watching especially in light of the new discussion on drug policy going on today: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2011/09/ken_burns_prohibition_reviewed_a_fascinating_series_about_the_no.html

I only smoke pot, no cigs. And no problems as of 1 week post op.

Curious as to the effects myself. Been medicating for 3 years due to Crohns & gallbladder issues. GI Dr. knows and believes I'll feel better after taking it out. I go for my consult Tuesday and will tell him as well of my usage.

Edited by Mandy Dawn

I'm just curious to know if the program/dr or nurse practitioner said it was okay for you to use marijuana? I know my facility has a policy that states you can't and shouldn't use anything like that.

My GI dr doesn't condone it of course but does understand my use. We agree I need to fix my problem (gallbladder & hernia) so I won't mask my problems with cannabis. She referred me to the surgeon that I am seeing Tuesday.

I'm just curious to know if the program/dr or nurse practitioner said it was okay for you to use marijuana? I know my facility has a policy that states you can't and shouldn't use anything like that.

That is a tough issue right now. Most medical facilticies are using a government funded medical record data base that every government agency can tap into. So explaining your drug use could come back to bite you down the road especially if you want to purchase a gun... Form 4473 line e asks if you have used Pot, if you answer "no", but your medical record says "yes" there may be a knock at your door. BTW HIPPA is no more. Unless you go to a doctor who uses paper record keeping and you don't use third party payer (ie insurance) your personal information isn't private. [smile...like me]

Smoking has a different affect on all. I have used pot for pain do to a neurology disorder, and it doesn't give me munchies. It actually kills my appetite. If anything I get extremely thirsty. It can be addictive for some, but so can pills. Everything people over do is addiction, food, drugs, pills, even sex. Depends on person and will power.

I don't use myself, but I have a friend with Crohn's disease who does. She says it relaxes her 'guts' immediately, and her pain and nausea goes away for a while. I researched it quite a bit after learning that she used it, and there are an amazing number of health benefits. As long as it doesn't make you eat more than is healthy for you, I can't see any problem with it.

Nobody should be judging anyone here. What works for one person may not work for another. I personally would rather use medical marijuana than a prescription drug any day. I've been using it for a while, and more so after my revision and couldn't put weight on even with tpn. After my reversal not too long ago, I was diagnosed with gastroparesis and I still use it. It helps me more than a few other meds they prescribed without all the side effects. The comments about people smoking in their teens and having a large appetite makes me laugh. We are not teens anymore, things will effect us differently and as I mentioned before, you need to find the strain that works for you. I find that indica works best for me. I get a relaxing body high, and not a cloudy head high with the hunger. It helps my stomach relax for the gastroparesis, and helps with some of the chronic pain. You can also use the oil/tincture without the high, but great results. They use this a lot for children, and it's amazing. Please do your research! It can work wonders for so many. I feel fortunate to live in CA where it's not a big deal. I walk in the pharmacy/dispensary and it's like walking in cvs to get a prescription. No big thing:)

For immediate post op, I used a vape pen to lessen the coughing. Surgery 10/26 (or 29th?) And have smoked everyday since I got out of hospital. I've lost 105 lbs altogether and that's with "munchies" (knowledge of what I should eat helps make right choices), proper diet and exercise. .. and smoking a lot, daily. Helps with my IBS, my anxiety... I'm altogether a better calmer person to be around and now I'm healthier! :-)

I would be curious if it would cause the same issues as cigarette smoking after WLS? Such as stomach ulcers...? I haven't smoked since 3 months before surgery, and like yourself a casual participant of 2-3x/mo (hardly an addiction...but don't put a bag of chips in front of pre-WLS, now THAT was an addiction!), nor have I smoked after yet and I'm 2 months post-op.

Edited by trackerchik

After surgery I will continue my usage as well it's a self medication and I'm not seeing any harm in MJ it's not the same as tabacco and alcohol and it is true that not everyone gets the munchies and for those who do get the munchies it's because you smoke before you eat....you have to eat before you smoke so your tummy can be already satisfied all you should need is a tall cold glass of Water but everybody is different so just do what works for you

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

Not necessarily...some strains do induce hunger as was mentioned upthread. Marijuana is used medically to increase appetite in patients suffering from anorexia or patients who have lost their appetite due to medication or other treatments.

If you live in a state that has legalized medical or retail marijuana you should be able to discuss the different strains and side effects with a cannabis professional.

I don't smoke it haven't in years, my sons do. I am all for legalization even thought I don't partake. It is ultimately your own choice. I agree you are not an addict, I do believe people can become addicted, I watched my sister and now my sons but it is no different than any other addiction some people do others don't.

I agree though if it causes you to get the munchies (which it did for me when I was young) I would say not to until you are much further along and stronger. But that is just my opinion.