Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana and Life after Bariatric Surgery

Ok well the three different surgeons I've started my process with did and the point is if someone wants to be stupid and smoke something that makes them hungry, let them. If you want to get back to the same weight go for it. Your choice to smoke pot doesn't do anything to me other than make me glad that in my job field I'm 100% positive I won't have to work with you.

So I don't smoke pot and I never have. But I think that the purpose of this post was not for people to ridicule her. It's a simple question to those who have experience with wls and weed... I clicked to read because it was a interesting topic.

I see it this way, the desire to smoke weed it's not different than another person who has been sleeved wanting to eat junk food. Both may not be great choices but bottom line it's their CHOICE what they do with their body.

So even though I am technically not qualified to answer this question based on experience, I think you should evaluate the possible consequences of your choices and determine if you are willing to deal.

Oh and just to add I didn't transfer an addiction lol I've been smoking weed for 10 yrs +

Glad to see someone has been able to post op continue it. I was worried I'd have to give it up. I smoke daily myself. Thank you for sharing!

it surprises me the amount of people hating on them because they want to do cannabis. we all have different reason for wanting to visit this alternative, for me it is for pain control, and the medial prescription route. I have to quite NSAIDS and the thought of this scares me as back spasms and pain are common without my NSAIDS. I have a friend who has a medical marijuana license and it controls his back pain. the munchies are not that severe, I have found making tea with the marijuana, does not give me the munchies. As for Nikkibear 24 your ignorance towards his use of Cannibus is shocking, and I'll bet he is 110% glad he doesn't have to work with you. walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you pass judgement.

I chose never to touch illegal drugs, and now it is almost not illegal, but I still choose not to do things like that, I work in a psych hospital and ironically I don't even like psych meds, but I've seen benefits of people who need medical marihuana, so I will never judge others who take it, as with my surgery and wanting to changes lifestyle it will never make everyone happy, but it about me not them......

Hummm....using pot once a week sounds kind of frequent to me. But then I never smoke pot....why would you want to have surgery to help with an eating addiction and then continue another addiction that is going to make you want to eat?

I drink Water 8-10 times a day, OH MY GOD! I must be addicted whatever will I do? using pot once a week is not frequent at all. before your surgery I bet you had more chocolate bars a week then that, which is much more harmful then one puff a week. before you comment I did not do drugs until I saw the results for my friend as a way to control pain. I have started just recently as a way to find an alternative method of pain control for chronic pain from Back surgery(Medical prescription). someone having a puff once a week is not an addiction, Jadama22 continue your recreational use, you are hardly an addict.

Ewwww....a little defensive? Why did you post if you can't accept that other people have a different view than you do? Pot is a drug plain and simple. And if you need it to relax....well, what do you think an addition is?

I wonder if you were as warm and cheery a person before your surgery, must suck not having any friends.

Edited by bigmoe99

i used to be a pot smoker every day and it agrivated my bipolar symtoms to the point where i became severly suicidal and did a whole bunch of other things and overdosed in an attempt to kill my self i know this isnt the norm but if you have a family history of mental disorders you might want to consider not smoking weed for that purpose but to each their own. i miss the pain relief pot gave me but i can do just fine on opiods

We see that all the time at my work, it's called self medicating, but things like marijuana and even alcohol can not only be among other things, gateway drugs, but also mask true underlying issues, and eventually lead to a severe drop in mood, and even suicide, it's like putting a bandaid on a deep wound, and it's very hard because patients will swear up and down that they do better on it, it's hard to get it into their heads that it is a matter of time.........

Edited by laguerr13

I would say to be safe ask doctor surgeon or health care professional. If cigarette smoke is dangerous after surgery best to be safe than sorry.

Wonderful thread and perfectly timed for me. Just yesterday I was wondering about this. I am scared to death of the nausea and vomiting and know pot helps tremendously with that. My bigger concern wasn't the munchies, but if it had any adverse effects on healing like nicotine does.

Seems like it will be a viable option, so I will make sure to add a small quantity to my post-op prep list. :D

Thank you everyone for their frank discussion on this.

Wonderful thread and perfectly timed for me. Just yesterday I was wondering about this. I am scared to death of the nausea and vomiting and know pot helps tremendously with that. My bigger concern wasn't the munchies, but if it had any adverse effects on healing like nicotine does.

Seems like it will be a viable option, so I will make sure to add a small quantity to my post-op prep list. :D

Thank you everyone for their frank discussion on this.

niceee thankss lmao