Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana and Life after Bariatric Surgery

@@Ms. Reid"Deal with it Babe"? Thank you for that very well articulated response regarding the correlation of smoking Marijuana and it's effects on post Bariatric surgery patients. I also appreciated your well thought out response and obvious expertise about the dangers of addiction and addiction transfer post WLS. Your critical thinking skills must be the envy of all your peers. I'll bet you're fun at parties.

Hysterical! Lol

Very interesting topic! I have been fighting chronic pain for over 15 years and take a large amount of narcotics. I am very open to trying medicinal marijuana, but my state does not yet have the legislation in place for legal consumption. I am one of those people who won't even try marijuana if it isn't legal because somehow I would get caught or screw something up. I have researched the medical marijuana and I am hoping it will become a treatment option I can try. The narcotic medications I have used in the past and the ones I currently use have a wide array of side effects and have a sever negative impact on my quality of life and don't take the majority of my pain away.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences and opinions. I know it is a controversial subject, but to each his own. I love hearing everyone's experiences and perspectives.

Well I dont know what affect it will have on you after the surgery. I know for me I have not smoked since the surgery for fear that it will make me want to eat more. I say try it and see how it makes you feel. If you find that you have eaten half the frig then dont do it again. LOL Otherwise enjoy yourself.

What a bunch of wet noodles! Marijuana is technically a drug, yes...but it's a hell of a lot safer than alcohol. Have you ever seen an angry pot head? The worst that can happy with a little pot is you may hug someone a bit longer than socially acceptable, laugh a little louder at a joke or, god forbid, get a great nights sleep! OH, THE HUMANITY!

Personally, I use marijuana as a sleep aid. I've struggled with insomnia for most of my life. Melatonin no longer works for me. I've been on Ambien, Lunesta and (lately) Trazadone. I'd much rather smoke a little organic pot (my uncle grows and uses all organic fertilizers and pesticides) and sleep well than pump myself full of big pharma chemicals.

@@jadama22, I'm interested to hear what you've decided and how it impacted you.

What a bunch of wet noodles! Marijuana is technically a drug, yes...but it's a hell of a lot safer than alcohol. Have you ever seen an angry pot head? The worst that can happy with a little pot is you may hug someone a bit longer than socially acceptable, laugh a little louder at a joke or, god forbid, get a great nights sleep! OH, THE HUMANITY!

Personally, I use marijuana as a sleep aid. I've struggled with insomnia for most of my life. Melatonin no longer works for me. I've been on Ambien, Lunesta and (lately) Trazadone. I'd much rather smoke a little organic pot (my uncle grows and uses all organic fertilizers and pesticides) and sleep well than pump myself full of big pharma chemicals.

@@jadama22, I'm interested to hear what you've decided and how it impacted you.

Thanks for your sharing lauren8486,

I have not crossed that bridge yet. My surgery will probably happen sometime late June early July. As for my decision on the use of marijuana, I believe I will wait to adjust to my new sleeve after surgery. I know for sure that it increases my hunger so I will not take any chances of that early on. I can understand your view on the big pharma medicine - many times they have so many side effects and many unknowns, and it can cause more damage than good.

Love the topic. I'm glad someone asked the question. I too was thinking this. I smoke as well. It really does relax me. Im a corporate paralegal. It's very stressful. A few puffs at night helps my stress level a lot. I stopped smoking a few weeks ago as I prepare for surgery next month. But would love to go back after surgery. There were a lot of good answers on here. I'm thinking as long as you control the munches with the right food it should not be a problem take care and good luck to everyone

For those of you who smoke a joint to relax to sleep, do you have any grogginess when you wake up? (showing my ignorance, I know.) I currently use tramadol to sleep and while it does help, I can wake up so groggy so I don't use it all the time, and I do have trouble sleeping. Ambien never helped. I used Xanax for a while and that helps too, but my GP doesn't like me to use too much (I have no idea which is considered more "dangerous"). Melatonin is hit or miss.

Some of you know I have Lyme and the pain can be intense and intractable. My Lyme dr is a closet advocate of medical use of marijuana (but as a lyme dr he has enough problems with state agencies for his off protocol use of antibiotics so he doesn't mention his POV unless he knows how you'll react). Some of the antibiotics I have to take now cause a lot of nausea and the versions that don't are MUY expensive and not covered by insurance.

I've had a prescription for percocet for about 15 years from a back injury. I take it when I need it but can go months at a time not needing it. It can make me nauseated and it itches like crazy (so I have to take a benadryl too). I live in the DC area and once, at the time the beltway sniper was active, I was so nauseated from the percocet and in pain from the ruptured disk I had to pull over and hurl, but all I could think of was I hope this guy doesn't shoot me while I'm barfing into the weeds.

I guess I'm trying to get a feel for how marijuana would fit in with different pain levels, ability to sleep and be wide awake the next day, and nausea.

Hi @@Swampdoggie,

I can really only speak from experience so here goes. Much like with big pharma meds you'll have to spend some time finding the right strain of marijuana for you. Marijuana has varied side effects and those side effects vary from person to person. Some strains will produce a short term high, others a longer high. Some strains will make you sleepy, others will just relax you. Some strains will give you insane munchies, others won't.

For me, I use marijuana recreationally as needed. Lately I've been enjoying half of a small joint before bed. It allows me to focus on sleep and not what's going on at work, what's up with my husband, our home, our families, various social obligations, what's on TV, did I defrost something for dinner tomorrow, etc. I experience very little munchies with what I have right now - I did have half a piece of bacon last night (strange craving, I know). To combat the cotton mouth effect that others touched on, I just drink more Water. If you're well hydrated then you'll be fine (pre & post op).

Good luck!

@@lauren8486 Thanks!

@@Swampdoggie I know you didn't ask but, I too have extreme nausea with percocet but am able to take vicodin (hydrocodone) without feeling sick.

Regarding marijuana, there should not be any groggyness the next day.

Edited by woo woo

I'm so glad that you asked this question. I'm 8 wks post op RYN. I have smoked twice. The first time I got terrible munchies but the second time not so much. I agree with an earlier post, have sugar free options available. I only have things in my house that are safe to eat but there is still the risk of over eating. I've smoked for 25 yes and would rather smoke than drink. Great topics and yes, some other responders need to get a clue and read up on the medicinal affects of it. Good luck with your surgery!

Not all strains cause the munchies. If you live in a legal state or one with a dispensary you can always ask the employees. They can guide you to a strain that doesn't cause munchies and is good for sleep.

For me, and I'm a 5 times/year potsmoker, smoking after WLS was like smoking that first joint in that I got very high. But in hindsight, pot legislation was changing here in CA around the same time as my surgery and new plants with different THC %s became widely available. Interestingly, I don't know why so many of my friends have their medical marijuana cards. They seem fine to me, it's probably just a CYA thing.

Yes you can. My cousin has the sleeve. Has had it for about a year and she smokes medical marijuana with no issue. Everyone is different though.

I am a medical marijuana smoker. I use it for insomnia and chronic pain. It does work miracles. Since I am in the process of preparing for WLS I am gradually weaning myself off.