Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Marijuana and Life after Bariatric Surgery

This topic is merely being presented as an educational topic with hopes that there has been experiences in the use of Marijuana after bariatric surgery. I smoke marijuana maybe once a week like having a glass of red sangria to relax after a long hard week. Although I'm not a frequent user, I am wondering if I will be able to use it after surgery. Fact for me is that it does induce hunger and I am sure this would not be condusive to being successful after the sleeve, but let's be real, there may be users out there who give it try. Unfortunately, there are not any concrete studies on this either like there is for tobacco and alcohol users.

So feel free to enlighten and share your thoughts.

Thanks!

Hummm....using pot once a week sounds kind of frequent to me. But then I never smoke pot....why would you want to have surgery to help with an eating addiction and then continue another addiction that is going to make you want to eat?

For pain, maybe, but for pleasure? You're going to free yourself of who knows how many pounds and you want an artificial high? You're going to have enough troubles dealing with head-hunger, might want to stay far away from it, and have yourself a "real" high when you're free from obesity!

Hummm....using pot once a week sounds kind of frequent to me. But then I never smoke pot....why would you want to have surgery to help with an eating addiction and then continue another addiction that is going to make you want to eat?

I would hardly call once a week an addiction? So someone who has a glass of wine or a beer once a week is addicted? Your ignorance and prejudice about Marijuana is showing....

I have to agree, once a week is not frequent, funny thing is that I have not smoked for the last month because is something that I can stop at free will. To me an addiction is something you can't willingly stop on your own, such as tobacco users who can smoke up to a pack a day. I have recently stopped just because I don't need it, just like I don't need wine - While several months ago, I was having wine every week, I now have wine maybe once every three months, but with Marijuana being so widely used and now being legalized in several states, I was just curious. I am sure everyone has their own perception, and I have agreed for myself that smoking marijuana would not be best for me after surgery, but I would welcome open minded perspectives to this subject on those that have used it and what was the experience.

Ewwww....a little defensive? Why did you post if you can't accept that other people have a different view than you do? Pot is a drug plain and simple. And if you need it to relax....well, what do you think an addition is?

Edited by Ms. Reid

I would hardly call once a week an addiction? So someone who has a glass of wine or a beer once a week is addicted? Your ignorance and prejudice about Marijuana is showing....

Deal with it babe.

I don't smoke and I rarely drink but I put them in about the same category. I have been very nauseated since my surgery after eating lately so maybe lol...nah

@@Ms. Reid

"Deal with it Babe"?

Thank you for that very well articulated response regarding the correlation of smoking Marijuana and it's effects on post Bariatric surgery patients. I also appreciated your well thought out response and obvious expertise about the dangers of addiction and addiction transfer post WLS. Your critical thinking skills must be the envy of all your peers.

I'll bet you're fun at parties.

This sounds like a potential transfer addiction. Be careful if you do go down this path.

"Be curious, not judgmental"

--Walt Whitman

Please be kind to each other on this site - aren't all of us trying to stay positive about perhaps the hardest things we have ever done? I know I am. I come to this site for inspiration and answers - not to read others being negative about others' choices. Be respectful please. You don't have to agree with what others do, but no need to hate. This is hard enough.

Sorry, I haven't smoked weed since WLS.

Marijuana makes me ravenously hungry. I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon. (I'm 7 months post-op.)

However, I do drink wine now. Happily, it doesn't give me the munchies. :)

Best to you. Hope you do get some responses from folks who have tried it post-op and learn how it affected them.

I promise I will try it after my surgery and I'll give a shout out about my experience. (some of these responses truly had me laughing out loud!! folks need to "lighten up"!)

You may appreciate a little afterwards..I felt nausea and a little pain..I'm sure it would have helped with this. Some people have no appetite afterwards...I am only a week out and forget tendering my protein..I can truly see the benefits post op