Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hoping someone can help – I had VSG on December 16th. Other than some cardiac issues I’ve had no complications and am down 45 pounds. I feel great EXCEPT for extreme fatigue and sleepiness. I’ve been back to my surgeon who did all the blood tests and say everything looks great. I’m getting close to 70 grams of Protein in each day. I’m working out a few times a week. I am struggling with my fluids and many days only get in around 40 ounces – some days I hit my 64 and others I don’t get in 20.

I’ve been to my PCP a few times – she is about to run a mono test (I’ve had it twice before – but since this is lasting months we don’t think it is mono again). I’ve been to my cardiologist who has cut me back on my beta blockers since I’ve lost weight – so that isn’t the culprit because I still feel very tired all the time.

Anyone go through this or have any insight?

I’m really struggling to function some days I’m so exhausted. On the weekends I have to be careful or I could sleep all day.

Help?

Since you're not getting in all your fluids, that may be the issue (might not be, either, but try this). Add Water Enhancer drops to your Water. I have an issue with dehydration, so my dietician and nurse suggested using these drops (you can get them at the grocery store) to use in all the water I am trying too take in. It does make it easier to get down, and I find I am able to drink a lot more, as well. You can adjust the sweetness to your liking, and if you don't like sweet stuff much, try the Dasani (I think I spelled that right!) drops. The lime flavor is almost perfume-y, but nice. The other brands I have tried are Orange Crush, Minute Maid, Nestea, and a generic store brand (orange-tangerine). Lots of flavor options make it less boring. I also like to add it to unflavored Protein Powder in my water for a "cocktail" Protein Drink that (in my opinion) is far better than the shakes. Good luck to you and let us know how you are doing!

@@gabrielle2014 I was sleeved on December 12, 2014 and although I don't have any of the cardiac issues that you've had, or mono, I am so darn sleepy all the time and its really starting to both me. I go to bed at a decent hour every night, but there are some mornings that I just can't get out of bed because I'm so sleepy.

I used to work from 7am - 3:30pm, but for the last couple of months I have had to change my hours to 11am - 7pm simply because I'm so sleepy in the mornings. There have been some days when I didn't even go to work because I was so sleepy in the morning.

I would love to hear if anyone else has experienced this problem, and if so, what they did to rectify it.

Just asking, but have you two had your thyroid levels checked recently? An underactive (hypothyroidism) thyroid often presents itself like you're describing. I've had it since 1995. Other symptoms include (not everyone, but these are typical) Hair loss, weight gain (!!!!!), feeling cold. I've had all of them, and when my medication is not quite right, or the thyroid gets a little worse (stops functioning to the level it previously was), these symptoms creep back into the picture. In fact just 2 days ago, my dietician told me my thyroid number was down again (this time from too strong medication). I have less energy, and I'm sure my hair loss is not just from the weight loss(!). So back to changing the meds again. The medication (Synthroid or generic equivalent) works great, at the right dosage - just a tiny pill every morning. Feel better soon....

Get your fluids in. Do it anyway you can. I personally don't like additives, but if that helps you need to do it ASAP. Are you taking any vitamins/ supplements? Not every doctor prescribes B12 but mine did and it helped. Lastly and this is going to sound off, exercise. Nothing strenuous but try taking a 15 -20 minute walk. I always feel more energized after working out. Some seem to feel it's the endorphins secreted.

Thanks everyone! Canyon - I have had my thyroid tested - though not within the last 6 months. I'm just waiting for that test to come back. I think it might be dehydration as well. I have tried so many of those drops as well as powder and anything else to flavor my Water. I've tried tea and warm Water - nothing works to help me get it down. I do a water challenge at the office to have a cup of water every 1/2 hour - which I just started about an 1/2 hour ago! LOL!

But I really have a hard time imagining that being dehydrated could make me THIS fatigued. I seriously feel like I haven't slept in months - every day.

Hey Blerd - I'm getting all my Vitamins and B12 in and have started exercising a few times a week.

I was sleepy too but I am now doing a B12 shot every week. Seems to really help. Put the pep back in my step!

B12 is really important for energy but Vitamin D has an impact, too. Do you have sleep apnea? I did and when I first started losing weight, the machine was really bugging me at night and keeping me from sleeping soundly. I saw the doctor and stopped using it and had another sleep study and SURPRISE the apnea was gone. The machine was actually disturbing my sleep instead of helping it since I didn't need it anymore.

SO funny you just posted this topic cause I was just saying that I was crazy tired all the time. I went and had bloodwork done cause I was getting paranoid and everything is fine. My doctor suggested that since we are eating so lil and burning off the normal amount it is just natural for us to get this way. When our caloric intake gets a lil higher the fatigue should wear off and life should get back to normal. I do feel like I'm in my first trimester of pregnancy with all this sleepiness! Good luck to everyone!

Veronica - My doc said this isn't normal and I don't hear alot of others (I'm in a few groups) going through this. They all say they have great energy. But you would think it would make more sense given what we can eat now. But it is just so odd to me to feel so good but be this tired.

Ginger - my doc tested my B12 and D and both were good - I was actually getting too much B12 bc I read my sub lingual bottle incorrectly.

Sleeve surgery has a bit of a mal-absorptive component to it. You are eating food but your body is not absorbing all the food and nutrients you are eating. So your need to Vitamins is higher then it would be if you were not sleeved.

You were probably prescribed Vitamins by your surgeon or bariatric group. Even though you are seeing your PCP for bloodwork and the like you should really call your surgeon and/or bariatric group as there are specific blood work testing that they order for bariatric patients that a regular PCP might not.

Hidden in there could be the cause of your fatigue, and you may need to supplement something.

I am banded so I don't have an malabsorbtive component to my WLS, but at one point I had eliminated all sugar from my diet. I was using artificial this and that to add flavor and no carbs, vegies or fruits it was all high Protein food or artificially sweet things like Protein Bars or shake. NO sugar and no carbs was throwing my body out of wack and I was tired all the time dragging and weary. It was just a simple remedy to add in some "natural" sugars in the form of fruit or juice that was needed and I was better. Now I make sure to always add in some carbs and simple sugars from fruit and veggies as I can, but that was "me" you need to find out what's going on for you and everyone could have something different going on so give your Dr's a call and I hope everyone is feeling bright and sparky again soon!!!

Ok. The only other thing I can think of is this: are you getting ANY carbs in? You should be getting some in, my NUT suggests 20 grams/day. And spread them (all 20 of them!!!) throughout your day. You may be needing more...just another thing to ask the doc.....

What about Iron? Are you getting enough Iron in your multi-Vitamin, or do you need to supplement? I tend to be borderline anemic and when I don't supplement my iron intake, I feel very run down and tired. I agree with the others about the Water intake, B12, exercise, and checking with your surgeon/bariatric group and NUT. Something else may be going on that supplements can't fix.

You guys ROCK - thanks for all the replies.

I have had a full blood pane done by BOTH my bariatric surgeon and my PCP. She sent me out for a mono test which I haven't had done yet because my work schedule. Ugh.

I do get some carbs in each day - typically around 35 grams a day. I also try to have a tiny bit of fruit and veg each day. So I typically have a small salad at lunch and a small piece of fruit.

I do find that I need more sleep sometimes - yesterday I felt pretty good all day but today I'm exhausted again. I'm trying to make lots of other changes like turning off my laptop and smart phone by 9pm - reading before sleep (because I've heard that using your phone or computer right before sleep can mess with the quality of your sleep). And it might be working a little.

Thanks everyone! I will just keep going - hoping that I don't have mono and maybe some of these changes will help. I never needed the sleep before but maybe since surgery I do.