Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 5 years out- too late for reset?

Hi All

September will see my 5 year sleeve surgiversary, and I am battling old demons.

I was 4lb from goal weight and two years out when I fell pregnant, and used that as an excuse to to eat like an idiot and I gained 3 stone. I managed to lose just over 2 stone of that within a year of having my daughter.

However I have been hovering at 11 stone (my goal is 10 st 4) for almost a year now, and I have gotten into some bad grazing habits which I don't seem able to kick. I also worry that my capacity is more than I am comfortable with.

I find myelf at a point where I could very easily start to gain weight again, and the thought terrifies me. I am running 10 miles a week which helps stop the grazing from causing weight gain, but when I fell ill and couldnt run I noticed how quickly my clothes felt tight...

Basically I need to regain control, and I dont know where to start! I have read about the 5 day pouch test but worry that might be more for bypass patients, and I might be too far out from surgery for it to work anyway?

I know I should do more Protein, more Water, less carby Snacks... But I just can't seem to do it! If I have a Protein shake for Breakfast I am hungry again by 9am. And I comfort eat too and am starting to have bulimia thoughts which was an issue when I was a teenager ????

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. I really need some help.

Maybe a place to start up again would be: the 2-3-2 plan. Eat within 2 hours of waking up. Eat approximately every 3 hours. And within 2 hours of going to bed. Try for 800-1200kcals/ day. Drink your Water (flavor it up with the Water Enhancer drops), and especially: get in your Protein, PROTEIN FIRST!!!! Good luck to you!

It is NEVER too late! The most important thing right now is to remember to be gentle (yet firm) with yourself. That was then, THIS IS NOW. If you really stop to think about it, you DO KNOW where to start, and how to get back your POWER. You actually answered your own question when you said "more Protein, more Water, less carby Snacks." Go back to the basics. It is not easy as it was while we were still in our honeymoon period that first year. The mental discipline plays a much bigger part now (I am just approaching my 4 year surgiversary). Grazing and less restriction are facts of life for many of us that we must keep control of. I agree with CanyonBaby's post about eating a snack/meal at 3-hour intervals to keep grazing/cravings/hunger under control. I know (for myself anyhow), the minute I allow any processed, starchy refined carbs back into my eating program, it just sets off a domino effect for wanting more and more. It's an "unfair" fact of my life, but I have had to accept it. I've talked to some others further out who say the same thing about starchy carbs.

Please be good to yourself and how far you have come to not entertain thoughts of bulemic behavior. That is not the answer, and there are so many ways to keep your body and mind healthy without resorting to the darkness of that world.

I'm glad you have reached out here for support. There are some awesome veterans who post here and I know they can help you get your confidence back on track. You are going to be ok.

Protein snack ideas: cheese sticks (string, cheddar, cojack...lots of varieties on the market these days), maybe cut into chunks leftover roasts, pork chops..., small portions of Beans (black, pinto, your favorite), hard-boiled eggs, nuts in small portions, Protein Bars. I'm sure there are tons more. But these can help curb the appetite before you get into trouble with the carby-snacks. I also like salted roasted in-the-shell peanuts. Oh, and my husband says to include jerky! Have fun!

I am right there with you since I am 3 months away from my 5 year anniversary with sleeve. And I can attest to "all of the above"- grazing, bad food choices with the exception of the bulimia thoughts. Although, I sure wish I still had my diuretic for a quick 5 pound loss ????. And I, not at 11 stone. My goal is 150 and I'm at 170! Totally disgusted with myself because I've done this in the past year! Just got really tired, stressed from family cares and winter blahs. Plus at 61, you don't bounce back as quickly fm stuff.

Enough excuses. I've used 5:2 in the past to lose and get back on track. Think I'll try the 2:3:2 someone mentioned and try total liquid high Protein with added kale etc for a couple days and then Low carb 2:3:2.

We can do this. I've GOT to do this. I did this for health to start with. Dear Lord, I sure can't afford to lose it now! Plus I feel like crap and want to wear my skinny Spring clothes!!!

Thanks for the support and ideas everyone. I have made an effort to drink more Water today, an upped my Protein. I was surprised how quickly I felt full, which I am pleased about.

I have had too many calories though, mainly due to finishing my daughter's unwanted food, which is a habit I need to change!

I went and bought a load of Jerky, cheese sticks and nuts, so hope I can stick with this and get some control back!

Today I had:

2 poached eggs with 4 steamed asparagus spears

Large Cappuccino (shouldn't have had)

4oz roast pork and half an apple

Most of a small box of kids pure orange juice (shouldnt have had)

Stick of cheddar cheese

Crusts from my LO's toast ????

One chicken and veg fajita with bit of grated cheese

If I can cut the coffee and daughter's food I should be under 1200 cals without feeling too hungry. I hope!

Edited by TwoStepsBack

Is there any way your daughter can eat what you eat, instead of the other way around? It would be good for her, too! I am amazed (and don't take this the wrong way) of what you are getting in, measurement-wise. Have you tried slowing down your chewing/eating, to get back to the ability of sensing when your sleeve is sated, and not full? This will help you recognize when you have had enough, but not to the point where your sleeve is over-full. Remember to put your fork down after every bite. It's just getting back to the basics, really. It's all so easy to forget, afterall, we had decades eating the old way, and only a short time on the new way. Especially when our lives get so busy. Easy to fall back into the traps that got us here in the first place! Try 1 egg and a couple spears, all of the Protein, little or no carbs, no wrap with the fajita, and definitely no juice! Just try, then go on to something else...get your mind off the food. Put on your daughter's plate realistically what she is going to eat, even less, if necessary, she can always have more. Have her throw it away or put it away (if she is old enough), don't touch it if you can help it. All tiny tricks that should help, and remember, we're here for you!

Thank you Canyonbaby. I think I do eat to the point of being over full and have been doing so for a while. Your response made me sad (but you were right to say it) because it is the truth I have been avoiding and it is painful to hear.

My daughter is 22 months and cannot eat any sort of meat unless it is ground beef in lots of sauce and she can't eat solid food. She has issues with her adenoids, its a long story! So giving her what I eat isn't an option sadly.

I agree with throwing away what she doesn't eat though. Instead of thinking of it as being wasted I need to remember that it's no good for me!

I will try reducing the volume I have tomorrow and be more mindful when eating.

I haven't tried this myself, but here's the link to the 5-day pouch test. Look at the "Plan" tab. It doesn't sound any different than what we all did at the beginning with our sleeves, just accelerated. I can't see that there's anything wrong with trying this for a pouch, a sleeve, or even band. It's just back to our basics. And here's a link to an article I read today on this Forum about how we sabbotage ourselves and what to do about it. It has some straight talk, which may be what you need. And finally, here's the 5:2 diet that some people use to maintain their weight loss. I know that's a lot of material to review, but it sounds like you and others who are posting on this thread need to throw yourselves an intervention to get back on track. Good luck!! I wish you all the success in the world. You did this once, and your sleeve is still in there - USE IT!!! B)

Ah, adenoids! Been there, done that (twice, and they've grown back yet again! When WILL it end?! But seriously, we are here for you, don't lose heart! If you want to, write everyday so we can help you along your path. Write down everything you're eating, including portion size. Start a new hobby, something else to focus your attention on. Something you will love coming back to, time and time again! And don't laugh, but how about eating what your little one is? Just measure it, that way you know what you're supposed to have. And use a smaller plate (looks like a larger portion that way). Then do the dishes immediately (kinda like brushing your teeth after eating, puts a stop to it!). Always with you....

Thanks again everyone. I have really made an effort to be more mindful of my portions today and listen to my body when I feel sated. Here is my food diary for today, I hope it looks a bit better. Xpost-112488-14266939998945_thumb.jpg post-112488-14266940136793_thumb.jpg post-112488-14266940294247_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the support and ideas everyone. I have made an effort to drink more Water today, an upped my Protein. I was surprised how quickly I felt full, which I am pleased about.

I have had too many calories though, mainly due to finishing my daughter's unwanted food, which is a habit I need to change!

I went and bought a load of Jerky, cheese sticks and nuts, so hope I can stick with this and get some control back!

Today I had:

2 poached eggs with 4 steamed asparagus spears

Large Cappuccino (shouldn't have had)

4oz roast pork and half an apple

Most of a small box of kids pure orange juice (shouldnt have had)

Stick of cheddar cheese

Crusts from my LO's toast ????

One chicken and veg fajita with bit of grated cheese

If I can cut the coffee and daughter's food I should be under 1200 cals without feeling too hungry. I hope!

UNQUOTE

Sorry for the messy post--my REPLY post feature isn't working right. Grrr.

I love the great support and ideas other are posting for you so far!

One point I'd like to make--At 5 years out, eating approx 1-1/2 cups of food per meal is a good, expected average amount. My opinion is that you are not eating TOO MUCH, you just weren't eating the highest quality food at your meals/snacks that is required to maintain your weight. And, of course, depending on your individual circumstances, 1000-1200 cals to maintain is often a good average for many women.

So 2 poached eggs with asparagus is a great breakfast! Adding much more fresh veggies to your eating plan will give you more Fiber and help with satiety. Maybe switching out the sugary orange juice with real oranges (again, fiber)? Keep your Protein up--again, depending on your medical team's recommendations, 80-100gm/day is often a good average. I am a big believer in not telling myself "I shouldn't." If I say "I choose not to" it gives me much more power to make better decisions. And, maybe for now that Cappuccino could become just once/twice a month instead of as often as you're doing it now until you feel more in control again. I believe we do not have to eliminate forever the things we especially like, but we do have to take time to train ourselves to learn how to CONTROL them so they no longer have power over us.

Keep up your good work!