Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the difference? Dieting and Weight Loss Surgery....

Ok so since I have been researching wls I have noticed that a lot of people said one of the main reasons they had wls was because they were tired of being on diets or being on plans and losing weight & then gain it back and some...That is where I am now. I have done calorie counting, weight watchers, trying to lose weight on my own and each time I gain the weight back. I have also noticed that with the wls there are complaints of no longer losing or gaining weight back...So why not continue to diet instead going through a surgery if you are going to get the same results? Or am I confused? ;-)

Edited by lovinlora78

Well, there are many who've had WLS who regain some, or even all of their weight. If you don't apply the change to your lifestyle (eating & exercise), then WLS is about a successful as a "diet".

WLS creates a 'physical barrier' (for lack of a better term)...not the mental barrier [willpower] that is so hard to overcome long term.

You can get the same results either way-- but maintaining it is the uphill battle.

The success rate for WLS is much higher than dieting. While it is true that some WLS patients never reach their goal or regain some/all of the weight, it is much more rare than the failure/regain rate of dieting. The highest number I have ever heard as an estimate of the percentage of people who regain weight after WLS is 50%. Whereas the failure/regain rate for dieting is estimated to be around 95%.

When I was researching sleeve and reading studies about failure rates, I found it very encouraging. VSG as a stand-alone procedure is fairly new, so there aren't as many studies as there are for bypass, but one study I read defined "failure" as a regain of 20 or more pounds. In that study, 20% of patients had "failed" by that definition at 5 years post-op. I will take those odds any day! If I lose 100 pounds and regain 20, I'm still down 80 pounds! Meanwhile, I've lost 90+ pounds "on my own", not to mention 40 pounds here, 50 pounds there, only to regain ALL of it and then some 100% of the time!

But, I don't want to make it sound like there are any guarantees. It's all about risks versus rewards. Can I lose weight on my own? Heck yes! If losing weight was an Olympic sport, I'd be a gold medalist! Can I keep weight off on my own? Clearly not, since I have yet to manage to. I am hopeful that with my sleeve, it will be easier for me to maintain my weight loss in the long run. I have always been a binge eater. When I was "done" with a diet, I'd go right back to eating a whole pizza and a pint of ice cream. No wonder I piled the pounds back on. That won't be an option with my sleeve. I would really have to work against my sleeve by eating slider foods, grazing, or drinking my calories to regain the weight and I feel like I'm very unlikely to do those things. I've never been a snacker/grazer so why would I start now? I haven't drunk caloric beverages in years and years... since LONG before my sleeve, so why would I start now?

It's on me to eat right and exercise, just like it was when I did diets in the past. But now I have a great tool to help train me on portion sizes and prevent me from bingeing.

Edited by JamieLogical

One of my problems prior to WLS was that I was constantly hungry. By removing 80%+/- my stomach I don't get hungry the way I used to. Then when I am hungry I can only eat a little bit at a time. Prior to WLS I would eat 3 meal plus 1 snack a day. Those meals are larger than I can eat now. I now eat 3 meals plus 2 Snacks.

I am not real far in this journey so I can't tell you I will succeed in keeping all or most of the weight off. I do know dieting and exercise alone wasn't working.

this is what you said: When I was "done" with a diet, I'd go right back to eating a whole pizza and a pint of ice cream. No wonder I piled the pounds back on. That won't be an option with my sleeve. I would really have to work against my sleeve by eating slider foods, grazing, or drinking my calories to regain the weight and I feel like I'm very unlikely to do those things. I've never been a snacker/grazer so why would I start now? I haven't drunk caloric beverages in years and years... since LONG before my sleeve, so why would I start now?

That is my problem now! I am a snacker and chose unhealthy foods. that is why I have gained back but 14 lbs of the 41 total I lost in 2012...How does the sleeve help in this particular area...? I would think that before getting the sleeve a healthy mindset would need to be formed and I don't have it right now..Even with my health problems and how yuck I feel after eating unhealthy, it seems to still NOT be enough for me to stay on track.

The success rate for WLS is much higher than dieting. While it is true that some WLS patients never reach their goal or regain some/all of the weight, it is much more rare than the failure/regain rate of dieting. The highest number I have ever heard as an estimate of the percentage of people who regain weight after WLS is 50%. Whereas the failure/regain rate for dieting is estimated to be around 95%.

When I was researching sleeve and reading studies about failure rates, I found it very encouraging. VSG as a stand-alone procedure is fairly new, so there aren't as many studies as there are for bypass, but one study I read defined "failure" as a regain of 20 or more pounds. In that study, 20% of patients had "failed" by that definition at 5 years post-op. I will take those odds any day! If I lose 100 pounds and regain 20, I'm still down 80 pounds! Meanwhile, I've lost 90+ pounds "on my own", not to mention 40 pounds here, 50 pounds there, only to regain ALL of it and then some 100% of the time!

But, I don't want to make it sound like there are any guarantees. It's all about risks versus rewards. Can I lose weight on my own? Heck yes! If losing weight was an Olympic sport, I'd be a gold medalist! Can I keep weight off on my own? Clearly not, since I have yet to manage to. I am hopeful that with my sleeve, it will be easier for me to maintain my weight loss in the long run. I have always been a binge eater. When I was "done" with a diet, I'd go right back to eating a whole pizza and a pint of ice cream. No wonder I piled the pounds back on. That won't be an option with my sleeve. I would really have to work against my sleeve by eating slider foods, grazing, or drinking my calories to regain the weight and I feel like I'm very unlikely to do those things. I've never been a snacker/grazer so why would I start now? I haven't drunk caloric beverages in years and years... since LONG before my sleeve, so why would I start now?

It's on me to eat right and exercise, just like it was when I did diets in the past. But now I have a great tool to help train me on portion sizes and prevent me from bingeing.

I feel like I am always hungry too. I am a snacker and I do drink maybe once or twice a week also...I guess I am just trying to see how would wls benefit me verses just dieting...My willpower and dedication to eating healthy, counting calories, weight loss supplements etc...is gone..I am afraid that I have to really get my mind set on losing weight before wls so that way I am not always sick from over-eating or eating things I have no business

One of my problems prior to WLS was that I was constantly hungry. By removing 80%+/- my stomach I don't get hungry the way I used to. Then when I am hungry I can only eat a little bit at a time. Prior to WLS I would eat 3 meal plus 1 snack a day. Those meals are larger than I can eat now. I now eat 3 meals plus 2 Snacks.

I am not real far in this journey so I can't tell you I will succeed in keeping all or most of the weight off. I do know dieting and exercise alone wasn't working.

I feel like I am always hungry too. I am a snacker and I do drink maybe once or twice a week also...I guess I am just trying to see how would wls benefit me verses just dieting...My willpower and dedication to eating healthy, counting calories, weight loss supplements etc...is gone..I am afraid that I have to really get my mind set on losing weight before wls so that way I am not always sick from over-eating or eating things I have no business

I also have found the sleeve to reduce my hunger quite significantly. So that would help you. But I agree that your mindset is very important. You may not be ready for WLS -- yet. Keep in mind that you can choose this later if you are not ready now. I will say that I do not crave what I used to and so healthier eating is less of a challenge than it was pre-op. But as many will remind you here, the surgery only reduces your stomach, it does not "fix your brain." You are doing the right thing by researching thoroughly.

Edited by Elizabeth21

One of the biggest pro's to me (still a newbie) is that the surgery reduces the production of Ghrelin-"Hunger Hormone ". That doesn't happen with dieting. :)

It is a process. I felt like a failure at keeping it off (but a champ at losing) until I learned about ghrelin. So I started reading more. And thinking more. I started down the WLS road by doing the needed medical tests and still wasn't 100% in until one test revealed what turned out not to be problem (but could have been). And that doc said thinner would be better in any case.

So I did it. I think even with research I couldn't appreciate what this would be like. The craving for certain foods is gone and the quantity - no question. Mentally there is a lot to deal with. I was angry when I watched people shovel it in at restaurants.

I'm working on me first which I don't think I ever did. I was always the good one who took care of others. But now I'm first and that means at least 90 minutes a day to swim, do strength training, run, pilates, etc. This applies to both at work and home - me first.

In the meantime it is strange to go clothes shopping in sections I was afraid to step into before. I am taking the first year to solidify food and activity changes. I don't want to be in that small percentage that gain post surgery. I think the fun I've had since surgery will continue (and my goal is running one 5k per month in 2015 and on track so far who thought running=fun?), plus things like fitting into rides and airplane seats, will keep me on the right track.

Keep researching. You shouldn't do this if you aren't ready.

this is what you said: When I was "done" with a diet, I'd go right back to eating a whole pizza and a pint of ice cream. No wonder I piled the pounds back on. That won't be an option with my sleeve. I would really have to work against my sleeve by eating slider foods, grazing, or drinking my calories to regain the weight and I feel like I'm very unlikely to do those things. I've never been a snacker/grazer so why would I start now? I haven't drunk caloric beverages in years and years... since LONG before my sleeve, so why would I start now?

That is my problem now! I am a snacker and chose unhealthy foods. that is why I have gained back but 14 lbs of the 41 total I lost in 2012...How does the sleeve help in this particular area...? I would think that before getting the sleeve a healthy mindset would need to be formed and I don't have it right now..Even with my health problems and how yuck I feel after eating unhealthy, it seems to still NOT be enough for me to stay on track.

WLS is still a tool. It's a very valuable tool, but you have to work it. You cannot think it will do it all for you. There are some people who do indeed regain because they return to those same bad habits. There are others still who never deal with the mental part of it, especially those who are emotional eaters.

I think those who have the most success view this as a true lifestyle change. That means not only changing your eating habits, but your views on food in general. That is a lot harder than is sounds. If you work with it WLS can truly be a life changing event. If you go into it thinking you'll get to goal and then eat whatever you want, chances are you'll regain.

I would recommend calling around your area and inquiring if there are seminars available. Go, and ask questions. It may be helpful in determining if WLS is for you and what specific type of surgery would be best for you.

Edited by BLERDgirl

Well, there are many who've had WLS who regain some, or even all of their weight. If you don't apply the change to your lifestyle (eating & exercise), then WLS is about a successful as a "diet".

WLS creates a 'physical barrier' (for lack of a better term)...not the mental barrier [willpower] that is so hard to overcome long term.

You can get the same results either way-- but maintaining it is the uphill battle.

This is what I needed to hear!! Thank you!!