Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I am 4 days post-op. Exciting right?! The only complications I am having currently are not being able to sleep and general discomfort.

I now can't fall asleep before 2am, and I'm awake by 6am.... then I find myself zoning and falling asleep for a few minutes at a time throughout the day.

My incisions are all extremely itchy and the one bigger one above my belly button has been causing the most pain. I wake up in the middle of the night feeling a sharp pain at that entry point - but its not red, irritated, or infected.

Last but not least, I can't really sit for too long. My lower back and tail bone are fighting me on my ability to relax. I've sat on the couch, my rocking chair, padded myself in with pillows.... I've tried heating pad, and I've been staying on top of my pain meds, but it doesn't seem like anything is working.

I am ten days out today and I can say day three and four were the most uncomfortable. The incision that hurt the most almost scared me day four because it seemed to increase in soreness and pain overnight that day. It gets better I promise. I had back pain too because I am normally a tummy sleeper so my body didn't like the pillow prop positions. My pain is so much better I am sleeping on my stomach again. I found that walking was the best medicine. sleep as much as you need even if it is during the day. Your body needs rest to heal.

@@claceywyo Thank you so much for your reply! That made me feel so much to know I'm not the only one with these post op symptoms. I've always been a tummy or side sleeper and my body is really feeling the change. I might try to venture out today to the mall or a Walmart just to have the space and drive to walk a bit more. Thank you so much for the reassurance though that this is all normal!

Sounds like you are on track! Just a suggestion...read the posts on this site, we've been there, and the posts can really prepare you for what lies ahead!

I had my surgery on Friday and had a rough nite too..I slept on recliner but even that didn't really help. My incisions were sore and everytime I tried to sip..youch! But I just went out for a little walk and what a tremendous help that was..earlier was just walking around inside but outside was better..maybe it was the fresh air..now it's even easier drinking.

My dr also has me taking 2 325 mg Tylenol and I think it's better than oxycodone.

Hope you feel better soon..I can't wait to be 1-2 weeks out because dr said that's when I should feel normal.

I've been doing my walking, but part of me is tempted to head over to the mall to just have a long, flat area to walk around on where its warm. The oxycodone has been helping with the pain, just leaves a bit of dull discomfort when it's still in effect. I hope the Tylenol is doing the trick for you @@Wannabeskinnie - does your dr have you using the Maalox lidocaine compound too? That's the most difficult thing for me to ingest, though the nurses told me it wasn't to important. I have follow up Wednesday with my surgeon - hoping to be fully functional by the time I have to go back to work at the end of the month.

Congrats on your surgery, and feel better soon! The hardest parts are hopefully now behind us :D

Wow...never heard of mailbox ludcaine compound but I bet it's helpful! Too bad stuff that helps tastes so nasty..in the hospital they gave me liquid Tylenol..I was gagging..now I am just taking pill form with no problems.

Hey my surgery was 03/09and i have all the symptoms you have itchy, not sleeping terrible backpain is the worst i am a tummy sleepier and my vision is blurry any luquid i eat i get a stomach ache and need to go to the bathroom. Today i feel week and with alot of bachache ????

@@Wannabeskinnie the maalox lidocaine compound is the most pungent liquid i have ever had the displeasure of putting into my body. It's been helping with the leftover sore throat from the EGD they did right after surgery to make sure of no leakage and to check their work.... but besides that, it really isn't worth the nausea it creates.

@@grosario288 I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one with blurry vision as well!! I started softly patting my incisions above my clothes just to get some comfort from the itchiness. I haven't slept well since the night of my surgery. The backpain comes and goes - I haven't figured out a way of getting rid of it completely. As for my eyes - eye drops haven't worked, but my old pair of glasses clear things up a little for me. I tried to walk the mall today to walk out some of the gas and get myself moving again. Bad idea - 3 days out and I feel like I used any energy I may have regained.

I had all the same symptoms- I still am having a little trouble sleeping because I am a tummy/side sleeper too. I still have itchy incisions. And I was going to say you should wait for the mall... Stick close to your house. I did the mall on my 4th day post op and it killed me. Today on my 11th day post op I walked through Walmart and the grocery store with no problem... Just slower than normal.

Yeah the mall was definitely too much. Congrats on 11 days post op! I'm hoping the symptoms go away soon for the both of us

Sometimes pain meds can make you a little agitated. Maybe back off of them a bit. Itchy incisions are a sign of healing!! Your large incision will likely hurt a whole lot around the 2 1/2-3 week mark, for a few days. There are stitches, deep in the torn muscles there that need to heal. :)