Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Amazed at the damage the lap did...

I am six weeks out of revision surgery (January 29th) and down 55 pounds at this point (way more weight than I ever lost with lap band). I saw my surgeon for a one month follow up last week and am amazed at the amount of damage that was done to my stomach by the band. He told me that the band had adhered to my stomach and was eroding through. He said there were small holes throughout my stomach where the band had attached itself. He was able to fix everything in one surgery (thank god...no way I could have done two surgeries) and I have been on the mend for a month and a half.

What is amazing is that I had no symptoms of anything that could be wrong. No fever, reflux, etc. The only time I suspected anything is when I would go for fills and the band would be unfilled and I could actually feel it pulling my stomach (worst feeling ever).

@@Jlkhollins Well that's scary but great that you have a awesome surgeon who was able to fix you back up! Good thing you got that thing out!

Wow that's really scary! Glad it was all fixed in one shot! My doctor also said I had a lot of scar tissue due to excess vomiting. I can't believe they're still on the market..

I also had horrible scarring and adhesions. My surgeon was going to do a revision but once he got in there he felt it would be better to let my stomach heal and return to a semi-normal shape. I had to weight four months for the Sleeve surgery. I had the band for 9 years though, and apparently the damage was extensive. I am also surprised they still do the Lap-Bands, and surprised anyone would want it.

I was not so lucky. I waited 1 year after the band had been removed. 1st surgery the suture was not closed, so another surgery two days later and again not closed. Then I got a heavy infection in the abdominal cavity. Another surgery to put in a stent. Did not sit properly, so another stent was placed on top of that one. Did not work either, so both came out and another one was put in. Meanwhile infection and inflammation got worse and worse. Many more spectroscopic measure, Water in the lung area, 5 drainages and one that had to stay in for 3 months until finally the stent could be removed.

I was in the hospital for 3 months, came out 66 lbs lighter but so weak that I was in a wheelchair, then in a walker and now finally I can walk by myself. Still very weak and burnt out.

From all the antibiotics I had numerous other problems and my CRP now is up again to 150 (normal is <5) and I have pain, can still not really eat properly. So I do not get enough Protein which I need urgently.

I had my surgery this past Monday, March 16th. It was SUPPOSED to be the removal of the lap band and then I was to have the sleeve at the same time. As it turns out, I only had the lap band removed. I have to wait the familiar four to six months for the sleeve.

I had extensive abdominal adhesions and the lap band was embedded in my liver and around my stomach. My surgeon thought it best NOT to do the sleeve at the same time. He prefers to wait until the stomach and liver can heal a bit.

I was (and am) so disappointed to need another surgery....

I had no symptoms, no reflux, no vomiting, no food intolerances apart from the ordinary foods that lap band patients are told to limit (bread, Pasta, etc. )

I started at over 360# and went down to 206 # with the band. Then I had to have Fluid removed due to esophageal issues (pseudoachalasia.) My weight went back up to around 270#.

I have to be vigilant with my diet and exercise over the next four to six months. I DON'T want to re-gain all of my weight.

I'm sort of grieving the surgery and not having had the sleeve performed. I'm not looking forward to surgery #3, apart from a hopeful outcome in terms of weight loss. The prep for surgery was difficult for me but, alas, I'll do what I have to do.

More details to come after I see my surgeon for a follow-up visit on Tuesday, March 24th.

Hi Sleevieee,

be really glad that your surgeon insists on the waiting. I waited for 1 year and still almost did not survive the sleeve-surgery. After 5 months I still have a lot or problems, like a huge infection just now in the stomach cavity which robs all my strength and energy. My liver also had attached to the stomach and the band. So be really careful now.

So very sorry to hear about your lap band issues. I had no idea these complications were even possible. I wish you a full and complete healing.

I have several questions for my surgeon when I see him for my post-op visit this week. If you know the answers to any of my questions, please let me know. Many thanks.

• Can the stomach and liver re-attach (i.e., can there be a recurrence) now that the band has been removed, or not?
  • I had no symptoms of pain or reflux to let me know there was even a problem, so how will I know when my stomach and liver have healed, as I hope they will....
  • Are there any medications or is there any nutritional advice to help heal my stomach and liver?
  • Why didn't the adhesions and inflammation show up on any of the pre-op tests that I had done? (The endoscopy, the barium swallow, the abdominal sonogram, etc.)
  • How common is what was found with my liver and stomach attached to the band?

All this sounds horrific.......I have a band, was fitted in 2010 it's been empty since 2013 but I recently started getting fills again......seems to be going ok but after reading this I'm not too sure I would know if it's ok or not ????????

Yes, Gail10, it's daunting. If I get any answers that may help you, I'll post them here.

Meanwhile, don't let them give you too much of a fill. Throwing up is not good for your gastro-intestinal tract, aside from being very uncomfortable. Just follow the food and drink instructions to the word. That is all in your best interest and you'll be doing all you can do that is within your control.

We cannot control the adhesions or scar tissue, or inflammation that the band may cause in some people.

Just so you know, a woman who had her band placed on the same day and by the same surgeon as I did in 2011 got her band revised to the sleeve last July, with no problems whatsoever and in a single surgery. Each of our bodies are different.

Hi Sleeveee,

I am not sure I have any answers to your questions. I could imagine, that the liver attaches again, because peeling the liver from the stomach and band causes injury which might again grow together. However, this is just speculation on my part. In you continue to lose weight before your surgery, it might helf, because when the liver shrinks it is not so much in the way, when the surgery takes place. All your questions could probably be ansered better by your doctor. He had enough sense to stop the procedure, when he saw the damage. My doctor abviously didn't.

I saw my surgeon yesterday. I got a few answers to some of my questions.

He does not think the stomach and liver issues will recur now that the band has been removed. He said the band the underlying cause of the problems.

I'm going to take Famotidine to help with the inflammation. I'm also going to try to increase my consumption of omega-3 rich foods.

We won't exactly know or be able to test for healing.... We won't know exactly what we'll find until we go in for the sleeve procedure again. But, the surgeon said that statistically and from what he's encountered, 4-6 months is a reasonable time to allow for healing.

Sleveee... how did you know something was wrong with your band?

I didn't know. What showed up on the barium swallow test (that was just done as an annual exam) was that I had pseudo-achalasia (from what I understand, that is a stretching of the esophagus and is associated with motility issues with food moving from the esophagus to the stomach.)

As far as the band and it being embedded in my stomach and liver and me having lots of scar tissue and inflammation, I was totally asymptomatic.

We only knew when the surgeon went in to do a revision surgery from the band to the sleeve. That is what he found....

I was soooo disappointed, when I awoke from surgery, to learn that the sleeve procedure wasn't able to be done. But, now I am glad to wait the four to six months for the organ healing to be complete.