Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone like the band better?

Just wondering if anyone liked the band better or wish u had not revised?

No way. The band was absolutely horrible. Eating or drinking alway felt stuck. The sleeve has been such a great tool mi feel normal. I can go out to restaurants or eat with my family without feeling like I'm having a heart attack. My portions are smaller and choices healthier.

Hell no!!!! The band was not good and I didn't have any of the serious issues that a lot of other people had. The biggest thing to remember- the band is not forever. Eventually it has to come out. The sleeve is forever. Plus, the band gets costly, every fill costs $$$ . there are no adjustments with the sleeve

I wish I had never had the band at all. Years of puking and sliming and feeling like a golfball was lodged in my esophagus. I lost to goal, but it was miserable, and as soon as my band went bad I started regaining.

Hell no!!!! The band was not good and I didn't have any of the serious issues that a lot of other people had. The biggest thing to remember- the band is not forever. Eventually it has to come out. The sleeve is forever. Plus, the band gets costly, every fill costs $$$ . there are no adjustments with the sleeve

I met with my surgeon about a revision from band to sleeve and she said the band is meant to be permanent.

Interesting. I don't know of anyone that has had it for more than 10 years and from what I've read on the forums, those that had it for a long time seemed to have more complications when having it removed. My slippage was just starting when I had mine removed. And the X-rays never showed it

While the band is meant to be permanent that doesn't mean it doesn't have a high long term complication rate, which it can. You can read on here about all of those. I think many people with the band get theirs overfilled in an attempt to lose more weight (my surgeon told me this). I think that is where many of the problems begin - plus I don't think a lot of surgeons are very good at fine tuning the fills for the band which can require very, very small amount of Fluid per fill.

All WLS is a crap shoot - you never know how it will affect you positively or negatively until you have it.

Yes absolutely !! I had great success with the band and I have struggled everyday since having it removed. Today I actually weigh 10lbs more than when I revised. I feel like I don't even have a "sleeve."

Edited by Band07

I had the band put in 2008. Subsequently lost to goal(although there were lots of problems). It malfunctioned and actually broke inside of me and caused so much pain and suffering. I couldn't stand to sit or stand, it felt like there was something inside my abdomen scratching and clawing to get out. Needless to say I regained most of the weight I had lost(180 pds). It took me almost 2 years to convince the dr there was something wrong. He just kept trying to adjust it even though several times he pulled cloudy Fluid out and wasn't able to pull out the amount he had just put in. I just had the sleeve procedure on the 9th. Since my pre-op on the 3rd, I'm down 15 pds. Hopeful!

I was banded in 2001 and have two proof points that the band was not intended to be permanent. 1. Statement in the brochure an 2. The "statement " I had to sign acknowledging the temporary nature. This was in Germany and a few months before FDA approval in the USA.

I think we need to go by the information in the U.S. since the band was approved 14 years ago, in 2001, and that is that it is to be permanent.

http://www.obesityaction.org/educational-resources/resource-articles-2/weight-loss-surgery/lap-band-faqs-questions-most-commonly-asked-by-patients

I'm not sure who would go through a difficult procedure like this after being told it was only temporary and would have to be removed at some point putting you back to square one. I don't think anyone getting the band in the U.S. is told that. Sure, it is reversible but that doesn't mean it isn't meant to be permanent.

I was told it was permanent (US) and then I continued to work for my surgeon for six years and always told everyone it was permanent but reversible.

I was told it was permanent (US) and then I continued to work for my surgeon for six years and always told everyone it was permanent but reversible.

Exactly. Reversible doesn't mean temporary.

I was also banded in 2011 and having revision. I was told reversible, but permanent. I despise my band...can't wait toget it out. My port has flipped and Dr. unable to access it. It feels like an orange is right under my skin (where the port is)and Dr. thinks it sticks out like a tumor because of how it's sitting on my abdominal muscle. It's gross and embarrassing. I'm so ready to move to the sleeve and start this new chapter in my life. My clinic discourages the band now and Dr. states they haven't seen the success as they once hoped.

At first I did until I started getting stuck and vomiting endlessly. I never felt full- instead I was always hungry and stuck... Can't wait to see how I feel once i am advanced to actual food