Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Your experience with hair loss?

I'm still weighing out all the pros and cons ..what was your experience with Hair loss? When did it start and end? Was it so much other ppl noticed? Anything help?

My hair loss started about 6 months post op and now, 10 months out I'm still losing but not as much. I started taking Biotin1 month ago and do notice little hairs growing and my nails are growing stronger too. I have a lot of hair so no one notices except me. I do notice, however, my hair is more coarse than before, dryer and thin around the ends, hoping to have my "nice, full curly, healthy hair" back soon.

Mine started at about 3.5 months post-op and I joked that if hair were blood, my bathroom would have looked like a scene from a horror movie. However, it never got so thin that anyone else would have noticed and the Hair loss tapered off a LOT around month 5. I had preemptively cut my hair short at two months post-op, hoping that if/when I started losing hair, it would be less noticeable.

I'm now a little over 6 months post-op and all my little baby hairs that have come in are about an inch long.

Edit: I should mention that I never took any extra Biotin (there is some in my bariatric multivitamin), but I am VERY good about taking all of my Vitamins every day and getting in all of my Protein every day.

Edited by JamieLogical

I was sleeved on 3/3/15. I have been taking my bariatric Multivitamin, 10,000mcg of Biotin, a sublingual B12, and folic acid. (Not sure of the mg on the b12 and folic acid at the moment and I'm not at home to check.)

I also meet 75grams of Protein daily and have since third day post op. I know that Protein is a huge issue for some people, but I haven't had any issues getting my protien or Water in--I'm kind of forceful about it because I don't wanna lose my hair lol.

I plan to go get nioxin Shampoo and conditioner sometime soon--within the week, I hope.

I haven't noticed anything yet--I'm still very early out, but if someone says something on here that it might help, I'm planning to jump on it because my hair is thin to begin with.

I guess we will see in another 2.5 months!

Hi..

I had my surgery 11/21/14 and I am just now starting to loose my hair. It is not significant that you can even tell. I just kow because i see it in my shower... Otherwise, you would never know. I take 10,000mg of Biotin daily which is most likely why it is not that bad.

I didn't notice too much while it was happening... Maybe more in my brush or in my hands after a shower, but not really evident on my head. Until it started coming back in. This winter I have a bunch of 3 inch long pieces now that sometimes stick up from my shoulder length hair in the winter static so I now know it happened. I'm just thankful it wasn't noticeable. I can stick the staticy short pieces down with a bit of product and it's all good.

I was sleeved about a year ago. I started losing my hair around 6 months. I had a lot fall out but now I am getting regrowth with very little hair falling out. I take Biotin and eat my Protein but I did notice that the days that I didn't get all of my protein in I seemed to lose more hair than the days where my protein intake was where it should be. Even with the hair falling out getting the sleeve done was the best decision I have EVER made for myself. Don't let a little hair deter you away from getting the procedure.

I am 6 and a half months post op. Only normal loss same as before surgery. I lose one or two hairs no clumps. Thank God. I take 30000 mg of Biotin a day and started using Nioxin Shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment. I get all my Protein in and take Multivitamins and Calcium.