Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When are the "typical" stalls?

I've heard a lot about the 3 week stall, but are there any other timeframes where most people seem to stall? I'm at almost 4 months post-op and things have been slow the last few weeks. I'm only 6 lbs from my surgeon's goal, but I'm still about 30 lbs from my personal goal...

Yeah I'd like to know..I have had any yet but I'm sure I will.

Not sure about what's "typical" but so far I stalled at months 4, 6, and 7ish.

Admit I thought I had reached my bodies decided base weight last August but the scale just recently decided to drop another 3 pounds.. So the closer you get to goal the longer a stall can last.. In August I was 9 months out. I also stalled for months 6 and 7 before it moved again for month 8. Just keep in mind that things will slow down as you go and what you think is a personal goal weight may shift as you progress and your body decides differently. In the meantime get a tape measure it's much more reliable than the scale. :)

Interesting...

I'm definitely not the type to stress when the scale doesn't move, I know to just keep sticking to the rules and it'll happen eventually.

It'll be interesting to see at what weight my body decides to settle in at.

I had a stall at # weeks...Then another 2 months and i just came off another...Hopefully no more please...LOL just keep eating right and working out and it will break!!!...Good luck!

I had three stalls; one at three weeks post-op, one at two months, and the last around five months. The first two lasted about a month (eek!) and the last one was a couple weeks.

The dreaded three-week post-op stall bothered me a bit after about two weeks because I was all excited about the post-op loss. I had read enough about the stall to know it could happen, but by the fourth week I was getting a little upset. But then the weight loss kicked back in and all was well.

As for the other stalls, there can be dietary reasons they happen like too many carbs, too many calories, or too few calories. It's very hard to determine the suspected reason because once your weight loss kicks in again you can't know for sure if it was the change you made or the weight loss just naturally started again.

If you're following your surgeon's and nutritionist's plan, then keep following it and the stall should end. The timeframe I've heard thrown around is one month, after which time you should contact your surgeon/nutritionist for a recommendation.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

I guess it depends on what you define as a "stall". I had one week where I gained 0.2 pounds at 4 months post-op, but other than that, I've lost at least 0.2 pounds every week. I've had a total of 7 weeks where I lost less than 1 pound in the 6 months since I was sleeved. I usually lose 1.0 to 1.6 pounds a week. Slow and steady, but pretty much stall-free.

My weight fluctuates/stops/starts all the time, since before surgery and PostOp...I've read on various medical sites that the body is not in a stall if it is shrinking, even if the scale stops or fluctuates. So I'm done with my scale until my next appt (End of April). I'm just going to measure weekly and follow my program.

I stalled at 3 weeks. And have been in almost a month long stall at 3.5-4.5 months. Finally saw a pound drop this morning putting me down 53 pounds since Oct 23rd. Hoping the scale moves quite a bit over the next week!

I've found in my weight loss process(es), that I stall at a weigh that I've stayed at for a while. In other words if you were at 200 lbs for a while, when you get back down there, you might stall. I hope this makes sense.

@@ProjectMe - I'm so glad you said that about shrinking. I've been on the 3 week stall for 3 weeks, but I AM "shrinking"!!! I think I just might stop worrying! Thanks again!

I've found in my weight loss process(es), that I stall at a weigh that I've stayed at for a while. In other words if you were at 200 lbs for a while, when you get back down there, you might stall. I hope this makes sense.

This makes sense. I'm only about 6 lbs from the lowest weight I ever remember being, and the weight that I hung out at for quite a while (when I was 13/14/15 yrs old).

It's unique to the individual. The closer you get to goal, the slower is goes (in general, not for everyone). One thing that I did notice is that when I would hit a previous set point, or weight I had stayed at in the past, I would tend to hang there for a while before continuing to lose. The weight I'm at right is a set point for me, and I've been here a year. It's the weight my body always try to stay at when I was young. I could diet and exercise my way to the 140s, but I'd only stay there 5 minutes and slide right back up to the 160s, where I am now.