Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

none for me! and it's been over a year don't miss it or need it

I am 6 weeks out and have tried carbinated pop. Honestly? I hate them. I'm not used to having sweets and have found they are so sweet, I can't stomach them. Not worth the hassle.

I am 3 years out and I CAN drink Beer or Soda without any physical problems. I don't think either a great idea though.. high carb and I think for some people... a gateway drug back to sugar - ha!

I do have the occasional beer with my sons, but on a daily basis, I choose to avoid carbonation. I can't stand the taste of soda pop anymore so its not really a temptation. Again, things in moderation aren't really a big issue but we all need to make tradeoffs. I would rather consume my "treat carbs" in the form of a glass of wine over a cup of soda. Of course there are many informed to NEVER drink any alchohol again post op too - which is probably great advice. I waited till I got to maintenance and you can be sure I watch it closely since calories and carbs really sneak in via liquids of any type!

People that start regaining after the 3 year mark (trust me on this, something changes around year 3-4 post op that makes regain even easier...) often start by slowly sliding down that slippery slope - so whatever you do, make a conscious decision and make sure you can manage it so it doesn't interfere with health and weight goals!

Unless you want to take away the effectiveness of your sleeve the answer is ABSOLUTELY NEVER!!! My NUT told me that ANY kind of carbonated drink, no matter what amount is horrid for your sleeve!! I stopped drinking soda years ago (too many empty calories and sugar and artificial junk in the diet sodas) and so that is not a problem for me. The health benefits of having this great tool at your hands, along with all of what you and your body have already gone through should be motivation enough for you not to drink any soda. Good luck!

Unless you want to take away the effectiveness of your sleeve the answer is ABSOLUTELY NEVER!!! My NUT told me that ANY kind of carbonated drink, no matter what amount is horrid for your sleeve!!

Well, I guess I'm screwed.

:huh: :huh:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

:lol: :lol:

The health benefits of having this great tool at your hands, along with all of what you and your body have already gone through should be motivation enough for you not to drink any soda. Good luck!

Yep, I completely agree & have a hard time wrapping my head around this whole thread.

I feel that when you see your body changing you'll take the approach of doing whatever it takes to use your sleeve to its fullest potential. JMO.

NEVER!!! Stay with your Protein Drinks nod water..I throw in a half of lemon for a lil taste on the Water and also do half water and half Isopure drink of your flavor

I don't drink it anymore, my doctor said never. My issue is I loved soda too much, so for me I may not be able to have one a day and be good with it. If someone can and has no issue it is certainly their decision. Same reason I have not had a donut either. Cannot trust myself. LOL

I think we're better off with out it. I was told to leave it alone. I haven't had it since my "last supper" thanksgiving 2013.

@@LipstickLady This line made me snort. "Plain Water makes me nauseated so I get most of my fluids in via coffee, diet soda and liquor (KIDDING!!)."

I drink diet soda. I don't smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol or do drugs but lordy, I just want a diet soda. It brightens my day. I agree with LipstickLady, I can't drink anything for close to an hour after eating or I'll get sick. I've taken that one bite too many a few times (I'm still learning) and it's incredibly painful. I've never felt that discomfort from drinking soda or I certainly would never drink it.

My physician's main issue with soda is the caffeine (slight risk of ulcers), drinking full calorie and not losing weight, or the bubbles causing uncomfortable burping. I drink caffeine-free diet and the carbonation doesn't cause me discomfort.

I do find it interesting that the topic of whether to drink soda or not creates some strong opinions. I admit I'm a little jelly of all those that have been tough enough to give it up. At the end of the day, I don't think it's just one thing that will cause us to fail. It's a series of things. Not exercising, grazing and quite possibly, drinking soda.

Not dead yet. :D

More power too you. Have a sip for me.
WHAT!?!?!?! You trying to stretch my sleeve or kill me!??!?! :P

Your sleeve can absolutely stretch but not from soda, soda can cause discomfort but I hear of sleevers using a sip or two of coke for gas relief but they say not to use Pepsi, just coke, and if you can to get it from a fountain or a 2 liter so it's not too carbonated. I'm about a month out and miss soda a lot but right now I miss foods I never even used to eat lol still got loads of head hunger happening.

Edited by Manduh_Raye23

Not dead yet. :D

More power too you. Have a sip for me.
WHAT!?!?!?! You trying to stretch my sleeve or kill me!??!?! :P

Your sleeve can absolutely stretch but not from soda, soda can cause discomfort but I hear of sleevers using a sip or two of coke for gas relief but they say not to use Pepsi, just coke, and if you can to get it from a fountain or a 2 liter so it's not too carbonated. I'm about a month out and miss soda a lot but right now I miss foods I never even used to eat lol still got loads of head hunger happening.

If the fundus is removed correctly, the only part of your stomach that remains is a little bit of fundus and the muscle part and that muscle will not stretch. Your stomach capacity will increase over a year or two post op, but at that point, you should reach your max capacity according to the 4 surgeons I consulted. I'm only an expert on myself, but I am currently 2 years and 8 months post op and I can eat no more in a sitting now than I could at 1 year post op.

If your surgeon makes a bigger sleeve and leaves more fundus, that fundus can stretch, but you should never be able to eat the same amount you can pre-op.

Coke not Pepsi for gas relief? That makes no sense. Both will GIVE you gas and either will cause most people to burp which might relieve some gas, but I don't know why one would be better/worse than the other.

I drink Coke Zero -- taste preference -- but I have been known to drink a Pepsi Max here and there. Neither effects me differently than the other.