Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well so I'm guessing nevert lol. Yea I too was told never again should I consider it. I hear people are able to which is their choice but the carbonation can cause sleeve stretching if done over long periods of time.

Sleeves don't stretch. They will relax over time from the initial surgery, but it's not because of soda or carbonation. :)

My son is 3 years out and he can drink soda and beer! I'm not saying it's a good idea, but he can, without trouble!!! Oh, and he's maintaining his goal and looks fabulous!

Edited by kellsbells

I am not a big soda drinker but I have a few sips here and there to kill the craving. I haven't had any problems with it. I don't think it is something I would do often anyway.

Wellllllllllll..... I will be the lonely only that tells you to talk to your doctor.

I was told no soda at the pre-op stuff, but after surgery, my NP said I could have it in moderation after 6 months. I drink a Coke Zero (through a straw *gasp*) almost every day. Usually a fountain drink over ice so it's not too carbonated, but it's still good.

I never drank regular soda before and I will not now -- that's just empty calories that I won't waste.

That's just me, though! Talk to your doctor.

A soda a day. My surgeon would never ever recommend that. Nor do I want a soda a day.. But if it works for your plan, no judgement.

Phew! Cuz I was totally worried about you judging me. :D

I am almost two years out, made my weight goal quickly and have maintained for over a year. I think it's working for me, my doctor is happy and so is the rest of my medical team. :)

Wellllllllllll..... I will be the lonely only that tells you to talk to your doctor.

I was told no soda at the pre-op stuff, but after surgery, my NP said I could have it in moderation after 6 months. I drink a Coke Zero (through a straw *gasp*) almost every day. Usually a fountain drink over ice so it's not too carbonated, but it's still good.

I never drank regular soda before and I will not now -- that's just empty calories that I won't waste.

A soda a day. My surgeon would never ever recommend that. Nor do I want a soda a day.. But if it works for your plan, no judgement.

I am almost two years out, made my weight goal quickly and have maintained for over a year. I think it's working for me, my doctor is happy and so is the rest of my medical team. :)

Do you, girlfriend!

*sips water*

Do you, girlfriend!

*sips water*

I always do! ;)

I take a few tiny sips like once a month. When I do it's with zevia not a chemical crapstorm

Not only is the carbonation bad for you so is the caffeine says my Surgeon, PA, & Primary. I loved diet soda before but not gonna touch it now!

Not only is the carbonation bad for you so is the caffeine says my Surgeon, PA, & Primary. I loved diet soda before but not gonna touch it now!

I agree. It's def bad for you. With or without the sleeve diet soda is not good. I assume a few sips won't kill anyone. But since I got it all out of my system what's the point of reincorporating it back into my diet.

Well so I'm guessing nevert lol. Yea I too was told never again should I consider it. I hear people are able to which is their choice but the carbonation can cause sleeve stretching if done over long periods of time.

Sleeves don't stretch. They will relax over time from the initial surgery, but it's not because of soda or carbonation. :)

I've heard from many sources that sleeves can stretch. I don't know for certain, but I was told by my RN that carbonation is never allowed again because it can stretch the sleeve. It's the only thing they said I have to cut out permanently. I've seen experiments on the discovery channel where they put carbonation in a pigs stomach (not attached, after being butchered) and they blew up like a balloon. Makes sense the membrane can stretch over time if blown up too frequently. But I don't know it as fact.

I've heard from many sources that sleeves can stretch. I don't know for certain, but I was told by my RN that carbonation is never allowed again because it can stretch the sleeve. It's the only thing they said I have to cut out permanently. I've seen experiments on the discovery channel where they put carbonation in a pigs stomach (not attached, after being butchered) and they blew up like a balloon. Makes sense the membrane can stretch over time if blown up too frequently. But I don't know it as fact.

You are absolutely right. My multiple doctors told me the same thing. An occasional sip will not have a huge impact. But for those sleevers who drink soda often it will impact their sleeve. But some folks have a sip and go yay I can tolerate soda, which means I can drink it every day.. Before surgery, I could tolerate BBQ ribs doesn't mean I should have it every day. The toleration of bad food/drinks will hurt some folks.