Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It works. I am a total sweets addict. chocolate, candy, ice-cream, cakes, Cookies, you name it! Totally addicted! And breads, do not even get me started! I had VSG Feb 4, 2015. Great surgery experience, zero issues afterward and, at 6 weeks out and 35 pounds lost, I have never puked! Winning! Here's the biggest surprise: I have NO APPETITE FOR SWEETS! Zero! My hubby is very fit, and he loves his Snacks. The house is always stocked with treats, and I haven't had a single one! Not one! I just don't even think about it. Even typing this, I have no urge. It's like a switch was flipped. I crave meat. eggs are my favorite treat, scrambled with low fat cheese. I can eat 1/2 of an egg at a sitting and it is like heaven! And I leave the table totally satisfied! I am actually having to track what I eat to make sure I am getting enough food in me. So, what I guess I am saying is this, IT WORKS. It has to. There is no room for junk food. There is no craving for junk food. Your body tells you what you need now. Add just a little activity and the pounds pour off! Do it. Do it for your future, fitter self. I promise, you will not regret it!

@@mdlange I am so happy to see you doing so well! I got approved!! My surgery is March 30th. Your words of encouragement here mean so much. Hearing "it works" is great for those of us getting ready to have the Sleeve!!

I just want to say that I loved reading these posts because they are so inspiring and SO true. WLS is for people who are, without question, ready to be true to themselves and put in the hard work--not just for "a little while" but for the rest of their lives. In doing my preparation for my surgery, I so often came across works published by WLS professionals who stated that weight loss surgery is 10% the actual operation and 90% the mental work (changing unhealthy eating & lifestyle habits, positive attitude, willingness to change, keeping an open mind, commitment to exercise, etc).

The surgeons know exactly what they are doing in creating our sleeves. But like everyone has said, it does not do the work for you--the choice is always in YOUR hands how you make your sleeve work.

Best to you in your decision-making. For many of us, we have achieved that freedom from the power that food has had over over us for our entire lifetimes, that was there all along for the taking, because we chose to be firmly dedicated to changing our old, unhealthy habits. FREEDOM tastes better than ANY junk food that would ever pass your lips!!!

Hi Stacy,

You're right, there is a very certain possibility that the Sleeve might not work for certain people. The sleeve is designed for higher volume eaters. I was a very low volume eater 500-800 calories/day, but still obese despite my honest and healthy efforts. If you are a low volume eater, then I would highly recommend getting a bypass or mini bypass. This way you fight obesity by restricting your intake, and also by restricting the amount of food your body absorbs. I can guarantee that this will work for anyone, and yes, you do get out of it what you put in. Best of luck to you in your search.

The Surgery will work. You have to do your part too. Don't worry, your stomach will keep you in line. In six months, no one will recognize the new you and I mean in a good way. A lot of people I have known for years now see me and don't recognize me, then the next thing I hear is OMG you've lost so much weight. It's a good feeling. I wish I would have done this ten years ago.

Its been 5 years in for me. I had bypass. Now I have to be very careful because I have all the cravings that I had before. I still want to bake and do all the things that will start me on a down hill slide. So I have to police myself. For those of us that have been surrounded by food all our lives it can be very difficult . So you have to understand your triggers and be able to do you best to redirector your mind and actions. And there are those family members and food friends that can lead you astray. Its like walking a mind field. You have to arm yourself with as many helpful things as you can. If you want it bad enough.... To change your life... To be happier and healthier... All the struggles will be worth it, and one day you will look back and be proud of yourself that you did it... You made it through... And then you will inspire others...

Thank you all for your encouraging words and great advice. This is truly helping me process all of what is happening.

Hi Stacy,

You're right, there is a very certain possibility that the Sleeve might not work for certain people. The sleeve is designed for higher volume eaters. I was a very low volume eater 500-800 calories/day, but still obese despite my honest and healthy efforts. If you are a low volume eater, then I would highly recommend getting a bypass or mini bypass. This way you fight obesity by restricting your intake, and also by restricting the amount of food your body absorbs. I can guarantee that this will work for anyone, and yes, you do get out of it what you put in. Best of luck to you in your search.

I'd have to disagree with this. I was never a big eater. I was a very disordered eater. I could literally go all day without eating, then eat dinner and be fine. Other days I could live off coffee. Things started to change for me when I seriously looked at my diet and living habits. I changed how I was eating and literally forced myself to eat 3 meals a day. I also cut out processed foods and artificial sweeteners. Even then I often struggled to eat 900 calories most days. Still I needed the sleeve to jumpstart my weight loss. The sleeve will work for anyone who works with it. I have nothing against bypass, but not everyone wants that. It does not matter if you are a high or low volume eater. It matter that you are willing to follow the program and make the necessary changes in order to be successful.

I go for my first appointment Tuesday to learn more about WLS. I have struggled with my weight since I was very young and lost my first 100 pounds when I was 14. I have been up and down ever since. I am at my highest weight ever now. I am so scared that the surgery won't work and that I will wake up just as hungry as ever and nothing will change. Did anyone else have this fear? How have you managed it?

Stacey, My name is Susan and I too am in the beginning of changing my Lap Band to a Roux N Y. My band has failed as many do. I have gained over 60 pounds since having my band. So much trouble with it that I had to have all the saline removed. Went last week to get saline put back in and it had a kink in it and leakage......so my doctor has suggest I convert to Roux N Y, So scared too that I will have some complications.

It was so with me... there was a little doubting demon that sat beside my left ear now and then. It said "YOU have enlisted in yet another failure or temporary fix. DUH" Well let me say I pray more and eat less and the DEMON is gone. PTL I can be so content with just a 1/2 cup or 3/4 cup serving of marvelous Protein food and only a slight bite of carb or vegi food. YOU can do it... ! The jeans you wear will be a testimony!

It works! It's life changing and the experience is priceless.