Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not quite 2 weeks post-op and stalled?!

I has surgery on 2/24, so I will be two weeks out on Tuesday. I lost 10 lbs in the first week, then 1 more pound totaling 11 lbs and and now I have been stuck there for about 4 days. I have heard of the 3 week stall, but before I even reach 2 weeks? Very disappointed considering I am drinking every meal. Anyone else experience this? Is this "normal?" Thanks!

It's not unusual. Your body may just be adjusting to all the new changes. My advice would be to take your measurements (neck, boobs, waist, hips) and then step away from the scale for a bit. Make sure you are getting in your Protein and fluids. If you are following your program, the weight will come off.

Thanks BLERDgirl. I am definitely following the program. Still on full liquids so I'm doing Protein Shakes, Soups, LOTS of Water, Decaf unsweetened hot tea, etc. I just don't get it. I'm probably only consuming 200-400 calories a day max. I have my first follow up next Thursday on the 13th and I will feel so discouraged if I have only gone down 11 lbs since surgery. I have really grieved food and drinking everything hasn't helped. Now that the scale has stopped moving it's like a double whammy of disappointment. Thanks for your encouragement.

Totally normal. *Most* people stall at 2-3 weeks.

It has something to do with glycogen and how our bodies store our extra sugar and fluids. It's also why it's so easy to lose weight the first couple weeks of a diet and then it just stops for a while.

Don't worry, just keep doing what you're doing. The pounds (real ones, not just water!) will be back to melting off soon!

Edited by 5BeautifulDays

i don't have a scale because i'm afraid of being demotivated by a stall. i would be weighing myself non-stop, i feel.

my NUT did tell me about a stall in/around week 3 and that it was normal - but i'm going to rely on visits with her to get weight updates.

i think you are doing great! try not to stress the stall and perhaps consider not weighing if you feel like it's stressing you and you KNOW you are doing the right thing.

To reiterate, this is totally normal. At my 1 week post op, they told us to expect our amazing losses to come to a screeching halt as our bodies adapted to the changes going on. They said we might lose no weight for the next two weeks and then it would pick back up again. Just keep doing what you're doing and good things will happen!

Thanks everyone!

@@kndoster - My 3 week stall started at 2 weeks and lasted 2 weeks! I'm a month out and the first 16 days I lost 16 pounds. EXCITED!!! Then the stall. I've started loosing again and I'm now at 20 lbs. I'm trying not to get discouraged, but it's hard sometimes. I understand EXACTLY what you're talking about, but it is normal! Good luck to you!!!

Glad to know my feelings are not unusual. I've limited myself to once a weeks weigh ins and actually tonight I am going to start my measurements. I think I'm losing more inches than pounds. Good luck everyone. Just focus on being healthy and hydrated!

Glad to know my feelings are not unusual. I've limited myself to once a weeks weigh ins and actually tonight I am going to start my measurements. I think I'm losing more inches than pounds. Good luck everyone. Just focus on being healthy and hydrated!

I only weight myself when I go to the doctor. This often means I don't get wieghed more than once a mth. The good part about this is if I have had a stall, I missed it. I've shown a loss every time I get weighed. I rely more on my food diary. I can usually tell if I will gain/lose by how I am eating. I take measurements every 3 mths.

Totally normal. After this period you may find 4 days of same weight and then you drop a pound or 2 and so on. I lose a little about every 4th day

I am glad I found this forum. I also hit the infamous 3 week stall right around week 3 lol. I am going on week 4 and the lbs are starting to fall off again but not near as fast as before. Now that I know this is normal I am not as concerned. Thank you all!

Congratulations! You have reached The Dreaded Week-3 Stall. (You may have just gotten there a little early.) It's perfectly normal, and just about all of us have suffered through it. You're not crazy, and your doctor didn't screw up. In fact, you might not lose any weight for two weeks or even longer. But don't worry – after that, the pounds will start falling off if you stick to your program. And, the inches will continue to come off even while the scale isn't budging. Here's a good article that explains why it happens and why we all have to go through it. Hang in there. Pretty soon it'll be in the rear-view mirror and you'll be dropping weight again!

(Apologies to BP regulars who have seen this repeatedly, but it's a big deal to those who are going through it!)

I lost 15 lbs at my 2 week post op appointment and then hit a stall that lasted about 10 days. I was so freaked out because I am only eating around 550 calories a day and couldn't understand how this was happening. I started tracking everything and was getting ready to call my doctor until I found this site. You all have helped me understand that a stall is normal. My body went into starvation mode and was storing my fat. Now that it is getting used to the less calories I have lost another

6 lb an average of 1/2 lb a day. I feel great and am motivated again. I am exercising 5 days a week to help tone, which is harder for my 50 year old skin. Thanks again everyone for all your knowledge to help me on this journey.

I had the sleeve on 4/28. I lost 27 pounds in 9 days and nothing since. I have been very discouraged so I'm glad to know this is normal. Thank you