Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tanning tips?

I need to start going to a tanning salon. Any ideas of how to start out? I don't even know if I'll need to use lotions or oils or anything. I've never been to one before.

My brother is getting married later this month and has told me that I better have a tan for the pictures. I'd use a tanning spray, but unfortunately all the ones that I've tried turn orange on me.

I need to start going to a tanning salon. Any ideas of how to start out? I don't even know if I'll need to use lotions or oils or anything. I've never been to one before.

My brother is getting married later this month and has told me that I better have a tan for the pictures. I'd use a tanning spray, but unfortunately all the ones that I've tried turn orange on me.

Just be sure if you are still tanning after surgery,dont tan your scars or they wont fade. I have only done a tanning salon once before a Florida vacation. I tan easy so I didnt use anything but that probably isnt right. The girls at the salon will probably have some high dollar stuff to sell you that is supposed to help speed the tanning process.

yea, don't...causes skin cancer...
True, but knowing something is bad doesn't stop anyone from still doing it. We all knew that eating the way we used to would make us fat, which would then make us more likely to have diabetes, heart disease, etc. We still did it.

This is a one-time thing. I've never done it before and I'll probably not do it again, but I really feel like I have little choice about it. I burn whenever I tan outside (not to mention, I usually get truckdriver/farmer tans). I turn orange when I use fake tanners. Right now, I am very pale. I am not someone that looks attractive when I'm pale, and I would like to look attractive in my brother's wedding pictures.

Start tanning for just a few minutes at a time. Each time you go, add a few more minutes. That way you will have less chance of getting burned.

I am a tanner from way back, but have stayed away since I gained so much weight these past 12 years. After I lose the weight and feel more comfortable going to the beach or wearing shorts, I will go to the tanning salon for a few sessions to get a base tan.

They also sell lotions and stuff at the salon. You might like it. I find it very relaxing.

Happy Tanning Laurend:)

I'm so embarrassed to admit that I do on occasion tan because in Australia, only an idiot would add to the sun load on their skin in an artificial environment and we all know that it may look good today but we're going to pay a HUGE price for it years down the track. Leather handbag anyone?

Nonetheless I do it for special occasions such as a wedding, it gives a way nice result than a spray tan and it lasts for a couple of weeks after you stop. I find I must ALWAYS cover my hair with a thick showercap, tanning beds absolutely ruin my hair within one or two sessions, they wreck the colour and make it really dry and strawlike. And acrylic nails yellow too, I have to cut the ends off rubber gloves and put them on my fingers.

And never ever ever ever tan without a proper tanning lotion. They are hellishly expensive but absolutely vital, they prevent a lot of the superficial damage, allow you to tan faster, make your tan look better and moisturise your skin. Dont use babyoil or a cheap alternative.

Start out very gradually, never tan every day as your skin needs time to recover in between and actually tans best if you space it out, no more than 3 times a week.

And NEVER fail to wear your goggles.

I have tanned for 2 months now. When I first started I was alittle nervous about the scares from surgery but actually they look better now then before. The girl at the salon started me out at 3 min (I am very fair) and I bought some pretty pricey lotion but it was worth every dime. Now I am up to 20 minutes Tues-Sat using bronzers and extra lotion at home. The girl told me moisture is the key in keeping your tan longer. Walmart has a great lotion with Hemp in it makes your whole body feel soft and it gives it a little special glow.

Try mystic tanning. It is a professional spray that works really well. They have them at the normal tanning salons. You stand in this tube thing and it sprays you for i think 30 seconds. It looks really natural not orange like the store stuff.

Depending on the type of skin you have, are you fair skinned, olive toned? Do you tan easily and quickly? In my experience, I have very fair skin so I burn quite easily and take a long time to get a nice even tan. So if that is like you, don't start now because if the wedding is this month there will not be enough time for you to get a nice even tan, you may end up looking burnt. I would then suggest you do the Mystic Tan, I did it and was amazed at how nice it looked, but disappointed that it didn't last very long. So if that is the way you want to go, I would recommend you do one session soon to see how it is done and then do another session a couple of days right before the wedding. Good luck!

Does the mystic tan transfer to anything? Does it get all over your clothes, sheets, etc?

Mine did get on my clothes that I put back on after the spray, but not very much and only those clothes. Once I guess it soaked in completely it didn't rub off on anything else, which didn't take too long. Maybe it was my fault for dressing too quickly and not wiping down good enough, I've only done it the one time.

Call or go to your local tanning salons and ask them if they know of any spray tanning facilities, maybe there are others than just the Mystic? It is definately worth looking for. I highly recommend it!

My input:

Tanning made my scars look better than before tanning.

Mystic Tan can turn you orange just like the self tanning lotions.

Best bet is to go to a tanning salon, purchase some really good lotion, and lay in a bed. It is relaxing and you will love the results. They will start you off tanning for only 3 minutes or so, but you want to start off slow.

Lotion is VERY important though. It helps keep the tan longer and moisturizes your skin, which is number 1.

Good luck on your tanning decision.

If you cant get mystic, you'll definitely be able to get a regular spray tan somewhere. They can go orange, I'd highly recommend having a trial one to be sure you're happy with the colour etc, and dont go too dark if you're fair, the person doing it will advise you of that. You should go in old clothes and come home braless, lol, dont put anything tight on for a while, and if you're not comfortable standing in front of someone on a bathing suit to be tanned, they can just do your arms/shoulders and the bits that will be on display.

If you time it right, you should be able to have a shower before you go to bed, I cannot bear the feel of that stuff on me while I sleep, and it does rub off on the sheets because it has an instant bronzer that is not what actually tans your skin. The next day is when the tan is best and then it will fade over 4 or 5 days.

It really is a better option for your skin and a month isnt long to develop a tan, you cant go everyday and think you'll get browner, your skin needs the days off in between.

If I had a month, I'd do both - I find spray tans look way better when your skin has some base colour to it.

Okay, I went and bought my minutes today. I didn't have time to start tanning, though. I got three visits (4 min, 9 min, and 11 or 14 min - can't remember).

What's the difference between regular lotion and indoor tanning lotion?