Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you have Decision Fatigue?

It has been estimated that we make over 35,000 decisions every day. Some of them big like choosing a houseplan and some seemingly insignificant like which shoe to put on first.

All these decisions can sap our strength for making small but significant health decisions that make up our daily diet.

Will I cook tonight or pick up take away? Do I dish out some yoghurt for supper or open this block of chocolate?

You can relieve much of this pressure through menu planning. Making food decisions earlier in the day when you have more brain capacity can change your life.

Menu Planning can not only help with following through with a healthy intention, it can save you money. No more emptying out the fruit bowl into the bin each week before refilling with the fresh. You’ll actually eat that fruit if you plan to.

You’ll be amazed how much time can be wasted staring into the fridge and the pantry wondering what to cook. All that time becomes yours again when you plan, write your list and shop by it. Put your menu plan on the fridge so the whole family knows what’s coming. Who knows, someone might get it started for you!

What helps you put a plan in place?

I had a RNY gastric bypass surgery 22 months ago. I found the (Protein, Fluid, Vitamin, meal volume) requirements to be very restrictive. It was difficult in the beginning. All food tasted bad, flavorless. The mono-food regiment lacked taste. I discovered that mixing food groups together added a measure of flavor. I transitioned into using high-protein homemade chili and Soups. They met the requirements and also had taste. I would mix up a pot and it would last me all week.

Such an approach cut down the decision process. I ate the same meals very day, every meal. It tasted good. Just open up the refrigerator, pull out the food container, use a measuring cup to measure out the exact volume and place in a microwave cup and heat and eat. It worked for me. Generally the only decision would be to have a break from this routine every once and a while.

Hi James, that is one way to cut down decisions and your recipe sounds good. Many people are happy to eat the same thing repeatedly and for the most part there's nothing wrong with that. As you say breaking from the routine happens, and that keeps things interesting and also gives nutritional variety. Cheers Amanda

Great article! I often bake my Proteins and vegetables at one time with limited universal spices (garlic powder, onion powder, pepper), but make separate sauces and use different additional seasonings for different meals.

So my Protein and vegetables can be chicken, broccoli, onions, mushrooms.

But when I pack my lunch I add alfredo sauce and italian seasonings. And for dinner I use soy sauce, white pepper, ginger, and fish sauce.

I still make the decision on the sauces and spices daily, but it takes the planning out of the Proteins and veggies! I just change up the proteins and veggies weekly.

where can I get the food and nutrion magazine email address is bonemorony0256@yahoo.com

Hi bonemorony, not sure what you're after. Are you wanting to subscribe to the weight loss surgery magazine or something else? Regards Amanda