Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So next Thursday I will finally get the vsg like I've been working for! Very excited, but starting to panic and feel like I'm not fully prepared. Does anyone have and tips or advice for what is needed at the hospital/home right after the surgery? What should I pack? How can I better organize myself around the house?

I would love to hear some of the tips and tricks y'all figured out from your own experience :-)

Wear something to the hospital that will comfortable enough for you to wear home after your surgery. Have someone bring a pillow that you can use on your way back home from the hospital that you can use to cushion your seatbelt against your abdomen.

Don't take a bunch of junk with you that you aren't going to use, need, or want to be fooled with. After your surgery the only thing you're going to want to do is sleep. I recommend having your cell phone, but leave all those other electronics at home.

And there also is no need for you to bring any medications, gas-x, or anything else. Any discomfort that you experience, all you have to do is ask one of your nurses and they will get something for you that is approved by your doctor.

You're not going on vacation, you're going to have surgery. Too many people want to take entirely too much stuff and they wind up never using any of it. The only thing I took that I was very happy I did was my pillow that I sleep on everynight, and a Glade Plug In so my room smelled nice. I didn't want that funky hospital smell.

@@Shell88, I have two suggestions:

First, make sure they will use a longer blood pressure cuff. The small ones can really hurt.

Second, request your pain meds be given by IV rather than a pill. Sometimes it's really hard to take in enough liquid to wash them down.

Just remember that you put lot of thought into this already, you are doing this for your health, are doing the right thing and are making a good decision.

So next Thursday I will finally get the vsg like I've been working for! Very excited, but starting to panic and feel like I'm not fully prepared. Does anyone have and tips or advice for what is needed at the hospital/home right after the surgery? What should I pack? How can I better organize myself around the house?

I would love to hear some of the tips and tricks y'all figured out from your own experience :-)

@@Shell88 any further suggestions now that you've had the surgery? Mine is 2 days from today (or 1 week behind you)... and I'm packing tonight! thanks :)

A robe is a good thing to have, but not necessary. Can always wear a 2nd gown backwards. For home, buy plenty of fluids on ur plan for when u get back. U cant drive for several days so make sure u r stocked up.

@@txfirefly979 sorry for the late response. Make sure you have chap stick! All I had time for was chap stick and my phone. I was stuck in the recovery unit over night, so I never had my bag with me. No real need for a robe or slippers or shoes - I survived fine without them.... My lips were super chapped by next day though. Brought my old maternity clothes to change into, slip on shoes, and deodorant and a face wipe for my departure home.

Just make sure on the way home you have pain meds right before you leave the hospital for the numb feeling on the way home, a pillow to grasp around your belly or an abdominal binder which i used over my shirt to hold my stomach and incisions in place. A heating pad is great to sit on my the end of the day. And I've been living off egg drop Soup broth, diet snapple, Powerade zero, vtamin Water zero, and Jello since Friday night.

Don't go too crazy with the stocking and planning - you don't use most of it lol

@@Shell88 no worries... I'm scheduled for 10am Thur 3.19 so I was just trying to get a jump start (esp if it involves doing laundry). I packed house shoes and a robe but if I dont use them, no worries.

my main question was ---- everyone talks so much about the gas pains afterwards. Did your dr let you take GasX strips? did you pack them? or did you get the prescription version equivalent?

thanks! any prayers are welcome... my anxiety levels are sky rocketing today...T- 24hrs till I'm at the hospital!

You're so close @@txfirefly979! Once you are at the hospital, the anxiety slips away.

I did pack gas x strips, but I did not use them (only one in fact) until I got home. The only thing that really helped to remove the gas was moving. Walking to and from the bathroom in the hospital or doing my trips around the floor did the best to push it out. Heating pad for my back also helped the rest leave my body. Helpful hint: do NOT trust a fart! Thank God I didn't on day 3&4 lol

Shell88, love that last comment, just the valuable info I turn to this group for! Txfirefly979, it occurs to me you are in surgery right now - sending you happy thoughts!

Haha @@Laureadolce i wish it wasn't so valuable lol!

I didn't have gas pain, never used the gasex I packed. What I used... chapstick, tooth brush, cushy sox with treads (they'll probably give you some, but mine are SOFT), robe, (but you can do the backwards 2nd gown), yoga pants, (wore in and home and put on to walk. Phone and charger. What I didn't have that I wished I did- EARPLUGS. My room mate was a nightmare. Up all night on the potty chair watching Golden Girls turned up loud. I finally had to ask the nurse to bring her some headphones. I was only there one night so it was over pretty quickly thankfully!

@@Laureadolce

Thanks for the well wishes! I spent one night (3/19) in the hospital and got home around 8pm tonight. (Had to fill Rx and also torrential rains here in TX). Day 2 sucked. IV pain meds made me so nauseated. Once I got done with the leak test and could have liquid pain meds - things got soooo much better!

I brought ear plugs but didn't have to use them (private room). I did use phone charger and extension cord. And also fleecy robe (which served as blanket too and was easier than bending down to cover my legs). House shoes also definitely better than the tred socks they give you.

Now just trying to keep down anti nausea pills. I forgot to grab a pill crusher so hubby may have to go buy me one bc Anti Nausea and Acid Reducer are in pill form not liquid.

So glad surgery is over and glad to be home. Now for 2 more weeks of liquids. Haha

Yay! Glad it went pretty well. Now you are off on your adventure - I'm jealous!