Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

reason my surgery was delayed wasn't true.

Maybe I am just looking for a little sympathy, but I just found out that the surgeon's office lied to me when they rescheduled my surgery. I was originally scheduled for tomorrow Mar. 3 (my birthday is today, so it was like a birthday gift to myself). I even found someone on Bariatric Pal having surgery with the same Dr. on the same day March 3. My surgery was supposed to be at 8AM, hers at 10:30. I bought the expensive Protein Powder that the doctor recommended, and really stuck to my two week diet. I got a call Thursday saying the doctor would be out of town, so they had to reschedule my surgery for Mar. 18th. Today, I got a message from my surgery friend asking if I am OK. She got a call today, moving her surgery up from 10:30 to my former spot at 8AM. She thought maybe I was sick or had some other reason to cancel the surgery. Obviously, the doctor is not out of town, because he is performing surgery tomorrow. I got bumped for some other reason. I feel sick, deceived, angry.

I suppose it is normal to question whether having surgery is the right thing to do. I spent a day really questioning whether the delay was really a sign that I shouldn't go through with the surgery. Is my life really going to be that much better? I have serious back pain. My disks are gone in my lower back, and I have tons of arthritis. My sister, who has never been overweight (and is younger than me) has the same back problems. I just found out that her most recent treatments haven't been helping her back. It's taken me a long time to get up the courage to have surgery. My main motivation is that I can get surgery that would possibly fix some of my back issues. Sometimes, my insecurity sets in. Maybe I am not worthy to get the surgery. Did I get bumped for someone more important? If the doctor's office lied to me about this, should i trust them to open me up, and perform a major surgery/ (I am having an open revision of a surgery from 25 years ago).

Man, what a bummer. I hope somehow this can be rectified and you get some peace before surgery. Don't internalize and make this about your self worth. This was on the doctor and the credibility of his staff and practice.

Maybe the doctor is going out of town in the afternoon, and needed to move several patients who were scheduled prior to yours, into earlier slots (ie perhaps you were one of the last ones to schedule?)

Hopefully there is a reasonable explanation, and I definitely think you should call and ask them to explain it to you.

I was the first on the schedule. I am calling in the morning, but the scheduling person is hard to reach.

Delay is not denial. Now, about your discs: I have 17 herniated discs, three just recently repaired in my neck.

I have thoracic ridiculopathy and need a full lumbar fusion. My ortho wanted to delay the lumbar fusion until I lost 100 pounds, because he was hoping that the weight loss would ease the pressure on my spinal cord. He was right. As soon as I lost that first thirty pounds, I could feel a difference.

In October 2014, I had a three nerve ablation at L4/5 which made a hugh difference is reducing the perception of pain and sciatica. I am 14 pounds from goal and am completely off of Lyrica, Hydrocodone, Lidocaine Patches, and Volarin topical pain relieveing cream. I used to get the spinal epidurals every three months, and will not need one for about two years when the ablated nerves are expected to regenerate (then I will just get them ablated again). My back is still weak because it is structurally unstable, but getting rid of the pain and groggy meds has made a remarkably difference in my quality of life.

Don't give up so easy. And what is all this "worthy" business about? One person is not more or less worthy of good health than another. Take control of your own health and happiness and demand what you need. Now get out there and get that surgery, girl.

@@highdesertblue I think I would be placing a call in the morning and find out what's the deal! That sounds a little off to me.

it could be as simple as your preop labs weren't in your file. do call and ask for the office manager. I would be pretty pissed if someone cancelled my surgery I was mentally prepared for. but don't give up on yourself because of this glitch. you deserve to be pain free. I know all my othropedic areas are much better. and if you do need surgery on your back etc. it would be better to be lighter for all the therapy that will follow. I wish you the best.

Wow. you're better than me. if I couldn't reach them by phone, I would've been at that office the very second I found out so they can look you straight in the eye. I hope you're calling and letting them know that you have a buddy that is getting surgery that day and that they lied to you.

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you have a beautiful day! After mentally preparing yourself for surgery and being let down by rescheduling, please don't give up. You deserve this surgery just as much as the next person. I'm sure there is a logical explanation. In the mean time prepare for your upcoming surgery date and have some birthday cake (for me, lol)! :) Hugs to you.

I was the first on the schedule. I am calling in the morning, but the scheduling person is hard to reach.

I know you were in the first slot, but it's possible others actually scheduled their surgeries before you did, and they would be given priority when rescheduling. I hope you get it straightened out; I know how disappointing it must be.

Don't give up!!!!

First - Happy Bithday!!! :)

Second - Do not let someone who doesn't even know you, or anyone else really, define your self worth. YOU ARE WORTH IT.

I'm sure it will all work out, and you'll do great!

Sure, go ahead and ask.

But don't go taking this so personally.

You're making yourself nuts, IMHO.

Well I am ticked off for you! I would be furious! But as others have said, don't think it is something you did. I would definitely let them know how you found out and ask WTH. (Let us know what they say!)

Now, having said that, I believe there is a reason for everything - even when we can't see it. About 15 years ago, I had a surgery scheduled on my shoulder. It was the 1st of many surgeries I would have and I was extremely anxious and frankly very glad I was going to be off work a week. Day before surgery I get a call and the dr is unable to perform the surgery - he had a blocked tear duct. I felt bad for him but mostly I was just ticked. The next day (day my surgery was scheduled), I got a call from my mom to come urgently to meet her and drive her home. My grandfather suddenly passed away. It was awful (and I still miss him and dream about him), but the whole week I just kept thinking, what if I had been in surgery and my mom couldn't have left me to be with her mother or she did have to leave me there alone, etc. etc.

I am not wishing something tragic to occur in your life, but just a little reminder that whether we like it or not, everything is perfect in God's timing. (Now excuse me while I go edit the post I just made about being so frustrated that this whole process wasn't moving fast enough for me.... -_- )

If he is going out of town that afternoon he may not have wanted to do an open operation (more complex) right before leaving. So rescheduled you, kept and moved his laproscopic patients earlier, and was able to leave that afternoon. He may have been uncomfortable leaving you after an open operation.