Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question for the slow losers

@@JamieLogical

So sorry this happened! Maybe some cooked veggies to start would be better.

Hope you feel better :(

@@JamieLogical

So sorry this happened! Maybe some cooked veggies to start would be better.

Hope you feel better :(

Post-sleeve it's all about trial and error. I'll figure it out!

@@Sunshine_Gal

I use myfitnesspal so my fat grams are automatically tracked, but I don't necessarily watch them in everything I eat. I try to keep my fat less than 3% of my calories but that doesn't always work. And I haven't seen any correlation between the amount of fat grams I eat and weight loss. I see more with calories & carbs than fat. I'm actually about to drop my calories back down to 800 to see if that gets me out of this slump. Seems like every 10 pounds I lose I hit a stall and this one has been going for 11 days.

I am still pre-op so take this with a grain of salt, but I have done a ton of research into low-carb, high fat, moderate Protein eating. I realize you have to get the high Protein in b/c it's needed to maintain/build muscle, keep hair from falling out, etc. and there is less room for it as well as less absorption for bypass patients. But, when you keep fat very low, your body can use protein and turn it into glucose (sugar), which then gets stored as fat. If you can tolerate a little more healthy fat (coconut oil, olive oil, real butter, grass-fed beef, etc) in your diet, keep the carbs low, you may start seeing the scale move faster. Low-fat products automatically have more carbs to improve flavor.

Also even after bypass I believe the body hangs onto fat when it thinks you are in starvation mode. So cutting calories back further can have the opposite effect of what you intend.

YMMV

I gave up with tracking my intake of Protein etc. It was a lot of stress for me, so I just eat using the guidelines of Protein first, veg second and starch if room. I don't know if it is the right way to go, but for me, it is. I don't supplement with shakes. I just eat when hungry which is around three times a day.

@@MBM1Forever If it works for you, and it seems to you have lost 52 pounds in 2 months! I'd stay on track. You have things in the right order of priority, Protein, veggies, carbs. Keep on keepin' on, and great job!!!

Jeez I feel hungry so much of the time. Supposed to be at about 700 cals and I could eat 1000. Supposed to get 75 g Protein and 30-50 g carbs. I don't worry about fat so long as it's healthy- avocado, nuts, yogurt with fat, butter, cheese etc (which I'm sure is why I feel like I could eat 1000 cals). I've been trying to hit the protein but the carbs feels wrong (high) to me at this point. Had my 2 mo checkup today and have lost 18 lbs since surgery; the rest was from the pre op. Dr was happy but I'm nervous about not making the best use of the six months honeymoon. This thread has been so helpful in reminding me that there has been loss, I do feel better, and it's not a race, it's a lifestyle for the long run. I appreciate all you guys' experiences; I always feel comforted and it does underscore how complex obesity is, as are our bodies.

Well, I tried my veggies and greek yogurt dill dip in place of my morning snack just now and I think I might die. I had red and yellow peppers and some zucchini and my stomach is like "OH NO YOU DON'T!" I managed to eat about half of what I had packed, but I'm paying for it right now. Guess I'm going to need to ease into this!

Every doc is different but I was told no raw veggies until after 4 months. And I love salad!! But been afraid to give it a try.

Well, I tried my veggies and greek yogurt dill dip in place of my morning snack just now and I think I might die. I had red and yellow peppers and some zucchini and my stomach is like "OH NO YOU DON'T!" I managed to eat about half of what I had packed, but I'm paying for it right now. Guess I'm going to need to ease into this!

Every doc is different but I was told no raw veggies until after 4 months. And I love salad!! But been afraid to give it a try.

I'm over 6 months.

I think I qualify as a slow loser too. It seems that I'll lose several pounds one week, and then not lose anything for nearly a week. I eat my Protein, drink my Water and don't eat carbs. I also exercise as much as I'm able. My NUT tells me not to worry so much about it, and that I'm "on track". I'm averaging about 8-10 pounds a month. I know others that are losing up to 18-20 a month.

My doctor on the other hand is not as kind. He's very condescending in general, and when I saw him for my 3 month visit he made a big deal out of "how much volume are you eating?" "how much exercise do you really do?" etc. I try to not let him get to me. This is the same guy who before my surgery threatened to cancel my surgery if I didn't loose at least 12 lbs during my 2 week pre-op. He has a rep for being a jerk, but he also is considered one of the very best in my area. I choose to go with what the nurses or my NUT say, and I feel great, so it is what it is. Slow and steady in the right direction.

No

I think I qualify as a slow loser too. It seems that I'll lose several pounds one week, and then not lose anything for nearly a week. I eat my Protein, drink my Water and don't eat carbs. I also exercise as much as I'm able. My NUT tells me not to worry so much about it, and that I'm "on track". I'm averaging about 8-10 pounds a month. I know others that are losing up to 18-20 a month.

My doctor on the other hand is not as kind. He's very condescending in general, and when I saw him for my 3 month visit he made a big deal out of "how much volume are you eating?" "how much exercise do you really do?" etc. I try to not let him get to me. This is the same guy who before my surgery threatened to cancel my surgery if I didn't loose at least 12 lbs during my 2 week pre-op. He has a rep for being a jerk, but he also is considered one of the very best in my area. I choose to go with what the nurses or my NUT say, and I feel great, so it is what it is. Slow and steady in the right direction.

I know how you feel, my surgeon is the same way!

No he has not, yet at least. I will have my 6 month visit next month.

You're surgeons not going to get mad at you. Mine doesn't even set a goal weight. Just as long as your moving in the right direction

@@AuriP, Like others here, I’d say you’re doing just fine! There are so many ways to look at this, and they all point to the fact that you’re doing fine!

First, how long did it take you to put on the weight? And you’ve already lost 50-something pounds in five months??

Second, like someone else pointed out, what’s the rush? Does it matter if you hit goal weight this year, next, or in 2017? You’ll still be eating right for the rest of your life! I don’t know how old you are, but you may have 30, 40, or 70 years left! Who cares when you hit goal weight? Eat healthy and be proud, and that’s all you can ask of yourself – and all you should need.

I don't even know what's considered a "slow" loser? Who knows the guidelines for that?? I think sometimes we put too much pressure on ourselves. If your working your programs like you should and your losing weight that's all that should really matter. In order to be "slow" you would have to be comparing yourself to someone else's weight loss. Don't do that.

Edited by Elode

It has been 16 months since my surgery. I am still fighting for my goal weight. I am on thyroid medication and I am a slow loser. It gets daunting but I have lost about 80 pounds and I want to lose about 45 more.

It has been 16 months since my surgery. I am still fighting for my goal weight. I am on thyroid medication and I am a slow loser. It gets daunting but I have lost about 80 pounds and I want to lose about 45 more.

It's encouraging to me that you are still plugging away at it 16 months out. So much of what I read on these forums is about the "honeymoon" period and it really makes it sound like you have to lose all the weight in the first 6-12 months or you're out of luck. I know I won't make goal within my first 12 months, so it is good to hear that there are people more than a year out that are still making progress.